which Tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:39 pm
by Greycamper (deleted)

Hi everyone

Just had my 2015 320 GT serviced at AL, was looking at paperwork they are 2014 so old.
Just been to storage tyres are
185/70 R 13 86 T

Just been looking at the Instruction Manual to check.
But must be right if it was sold them

Are these correct, thought they had to have a C on them
Long time since I had a caravan.

Reading the annual all giggly gook to me

So don't know what tyres to order thought they would be 14

Can anyone help want to make sure these are correct.
And can anyone fit these ok? Never had movers before so don't know

Thanks Pat

Scroll up

RE: which Tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:06 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.301 Posts

Pat,
"normal" caravans are heavier than your Eriba, so usually come with Commercially rated tyres. You do not need to fit Commercial tyres, you just have to make sure the Load rating is correct.. Do not be tempted to go much higher. The rule of thumb is max caravan load plus 10% and then divide by two, for the number of tyres you are running on. I'm not sure of the weight of your van, if 900kg then it will be 83 load rating, if 1050kg I think 86/87 would be correct.
I keep a copy of one of the Tyre Safe Caravan Tyres charts in my Eriba. Follow this link https://www.tyresafe.org/caravan-tyre-safety/ 1/2 way down click the "view Resources" and then choose the Caravn folder.
As a guide I'm replacing mine this summer. They are a larger size but if you can get these in your size then price/quality ratio good. https://www.etyres.co.uk/uniroyal/rainma...d=4024068000419
https://www.etyres.co.uk/gt-radial/maxmi...d=6932877101549
You do not need to buy a premium product as the tyre is subjected to far lighter loads than your car.

Colin

Edit - I've managed to find the link to the document I carry. https://www.tyresafe.org/wp-content/uplo...aflet-Mar17.pdf

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:30 am
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Zitat
Just had my 2015 320 GT serviced at AL, was looking at paperwork they are 2014 so old.
Just been to storage tyres are
185/70 R 13 86 T

Hi Pat. They are the same size tyres that were originally supplied when our 1999 Troll was new and up until recently I've managed to replace them with the same size tyre.

However, for many years I have been worried that the 86 marking on the tyre gives me a maximum tyre load rating of 530 kgs per tyre yet our Troll has a maximum load rating of 1000kg.

Using the tyre maunfacturer's ratings, it is considered that your tyres should be 10% above the maximum load of the van, therefore they should be good for 550 kgs.

https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/...-is-load-rating

I finally decided to go for a higher rating when the tyre size we are talking of became difficult to find. More on that below. Therefore our most recent tyres are small van tyres 185/70 R13 but have a load rating well in excess of 550 kgs. So much so that I worried that the tyres would have side walls that were too "stiff" to help with the rudimentary suspension on the Eriba. However, having used them for over 12 months and 1000s of miles I am now quite relaxed with the fact that I changed up. The air pressure recommended for our Troll is 3 bar so I do not exceed that as I don't wish for the tyres to be rock hard.

The main problem with locating the original tyre size, 185/70 R13 86T is more to do with the tyre's max pressure rating. This rating is often only found on the rear of the tyre and for that size of tyre the ratings can be as low as 2.5bar (36psi) and as high as 3.5bar (50psi) and it's the higher rating that is difficult to find and we didn't want to be running tyres that were over the max inflation recommendation.

I'm talking about 13 years ago now but when AL sold us the used Troll onto which they fitted new tyres, the max air pressure was only 2.5bar and I only found this out during the course of time so I had been running them seriously over inflated for a few years. I did manage to find higher rated air presure tyres in subsequent years but with a degree of difficulty but never did find a tyre that suited the 550 load rating, hence my decision to go up to a light van tyre..

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Steve and Debbie, , Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:41 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:10 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.112 Posts

Hi Pat

Not sure if this will help but here goes..................

I am not at all technically minded so when out Troll reached 6 years old and it was time to change the tyres, we got AVL at Tebay to fit two new tyres, as part of the annual service.

These cost £85 each fitted. The tyres are 185 R14C 102/100R. Obviously our Troll is heavier than yours so that may make a difference. I didn't try to cost these elsewhere as I just wanted them doing at the same time as the service.

Good luck

MikeT

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 am
by Greycamper (deleted)

Seem there are plenty of cheap tyres for my Eriba, but never really like cheap ones
These Vredestein Quatrac 5 all climate tyres are everywhere, cheaper price as Uniroyal etc
185/70 R13 T (86)
A lot have no stock, can get the Barum Brilliance 2 they dearer but have to buy online

I live in Manchester area, anyone help ease send pm thanks

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:17 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.455 Posts

Vredestein are good tyres, we used them all the time when we had our garage business. Customers liked them. Never had any issues with them.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:17 am

This thread (or something very similar) has found it's way onto our Eribafolk Facebook group page and I'm a little concerned that many of the contributors on there are saying "use commercial tyres or lightweight van tyres" and not car tyres as the ultimate panacea. I just want to refer back to the many discussions we've had on this forum over the issue of tyres.

Whilst I have had to make the decision lately to go for what is called a lightweight van tyre because I can no longer get a tyre that fits within all the various rating requirements for an "Eriba Tyre" that'll suit my Eriba, I am concerned that folk don't get carried away by thinking that fitting an overrated tyre is the complete answer.
I still have the original tyre dated 1998 that was supplied by Hymer/Eriba when my Eriba was brand new.
It's a Dunlop SP CAR tyre with the following size and ratings:-
185/70 R13 86T The 86T gives me a load rating (86) of 530kg per wheel. The speed rating (T) allows me to do 118 mph 😊 . The load rating on the tyres supplied with my 1000 kg Eriba only gives me a 6% safety margin whereas it's normally recommended that caravan owners purchase tyres with a load rating of plus 10%. (think I'm OK with the speed)
The tyre presure reading on the Dunlop SP is 44 psi. Recently Hymer has recommended I carry 42 psi in my tyres.
So at new, my Eriba almost (but didn't ) conform to safety recommendations by using a good quality car tyre.
HOWEVER, when I purchased the Eriba second hand from out friends at Automotive Leisure, they changed two of the tyres and fitted "Runway Tyres" that only had a tyre pressure reading of max 36psi. That's where the problems could start in my opinion. An over inflated car tyre can spell trouble.
My conclusion is that although I am now forced to use lightweight van tyres the load rating is far in excess of what is required so please beware of the possible damage to suspension an overrated tyre may cause. See below:-
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022...azAOjQ9koznabcg

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:23 am
by Greycamper (deleted)

Been on to Al their Tyre fitter at the moment only got Uniroyal, got a couple of fitter to check days at their suppliers 12 months old
A lot of tyres now going expensive

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:27 am
by Greycamper (deleted)

Can get Runaway Tyres anywhere for £40 -50 from local garages,
I have the original Barum on mine when first bought AL put 30 something pressure, but towed no problem till went over pothole couldn't avoid it as there was a few of them in a circle

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:33 am
by Greycamper (deleted)

I must admit a few fitter have told me the same thing Don't put car tyres on it then send me a list of commercial tyres which are wheel above the 86 some over 100
Told me caravans not allowed car tyres.
Was told that when I had my motorhome they were R13 but got Michelin.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:16 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.073 Posts

Are fitters recommending van tyres even though car tyres can be legal for reasons we are not aware of. Maybe because a caravan suspension is different from a car's ?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.301 Posts

I expect it is through ignorance. The vast majority of "normal" caravans will be running on a 100/102 load rating so they see that as the default setting and do not take into account the actual weight, they just hear caravan. The style or design of the suspension should not matter.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:25 pm

Yes, a 102 load rating equates to 850kgs. That means it's suitable for a caravan weighing in at around 1500 kgs laden, taking into account the 10% safety factor.

Probably not so bad on a 1400 kg Eriba but not so for 1000 kg one.

In saying that and I think, because I'm aware of these problems so keep my tyre pressures down to around 40-42 psi, it would appear that I get a good drive from the Eriba. I would hate to find the devastation within the van if I really pumped the tyres up. It'd be like a bouncy castle.

It does still worry me though that some people don't take heed of the maximum tyre pressures that are marked on some (car) tyres.

Randa

HDI163 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105610 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4