New Eriba Bed height

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:55 pm
by John Rowland | 9 Posts

My wife and I have just been to look and possibly purchase a 2023 542. We like to read in bed or have a cup of tea. The new fixed beds are too high because our heads bang into the lockers above, we are not tall. If the bed was 100mm(4") or so lower it would be the same height as our 2018 530 which would be ideal. The dealer we went to was quite concerned and obviously disappointed because they had a no sale.
We are Eriba fans generally having had a variety for a number of years.
I wonder if any one else has comments about our problem.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: New Eriba Bed height

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:38 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Tom and Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Welcome John. Is your 2018 530 a fixed bed or do you have to make it up from a Dinette? Fixed beds have always been higher than those you have to make up. Apart from banging your head it does have two advantages. More storage that is easier to access and easier to get in and out of bed.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:11 pm

Hi Colin

No fixed beds in our present 530 that is why we were surprised at th change of head room.
You're right there is more storage but filling that volume with stuff could make the caravan a little unstable!!!

Thanks for your comments
John

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:42 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi John,

I dont think there is any change of head room. As Colin says the fixed bed models are the same height as they always have been. It’s just that you are comparing a dinette model to a fixed bed model. The dinette models are measured from the seat pad up and therefore a larger gap between the seat/bed and the underside of the wall cupboards.

Robbie

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Could it be that the bed frame etc is the same but Bad Waldsee have put in a thicker mattress on the newer vans, or that 542 beds have always been higher than fixed bed 530's?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:31 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

All fixed bed across Familia, Triton, Troll are the same height. Having owned foam and sprung mattress fixies I can also say there is no noticeable difference in the mattress thickness.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:52 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Hi John. The only solution that I can see is to go for a 540 instead without the fixed bed arrangement. it'll still give you the long bed but they will be lower.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:52 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #7
All fixed bed across Familia, Triton, Troll are the same height. Having owned foam and sprung mattress fixies I can also say there is no noticeable difference in the mattress thickness.

Colin

Could Hymer not have re specified the mattresses for this years model revamp Colin?

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:02 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #8
Hi John. The only solution that I can see is to go for a 540 instead without the fixed bed arrangement. it'll still give you the long bed but they will be lower.
Randa

The 540 bed could be left made up as a sort of fixed bed, but in that case it would be best if you opted for an exterior locker on both sides so it's easy to get at the locker contents and you get the option of a full rear lounge if wanted or needed.

If the 540's central chest option is still available you can set the single beds to be just the base cushion width or base cushion plus half a back cushion with a narrower aisle, or the full seat backs for a full double. You can even have one side narrow and the other side wider and if you don't like the central chest in the way you can remove it and put the supplied spare cushion in it's place. Very, very flexible.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:14 am

Yes that is where I'm going if we have the will to change!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:27 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi John we are 540 devotees with the longer beds and we absolutely love it because of it's flexibility.

We know that loads of people loved the fixed beds but for us it is so restrictive. We assemble our bed and leave it as a fixed bed for days if that's what we feel like. We don't tend to fall out but if we did we can then go to two single beds.......!

But then if the mood takes us we will put it down and put the big table back up and have a large lounge - great for having a glass of wine in the afternoon and then dozing off on our separate divans

We have become pretty good at making the bed up or taking it down. We usually get it done in about 7 minutes. We have a side locked door (as suggested above) but we don't really use it much as we store our bedding & Duvalays under that bed.

It's just down to personal circumstances and taste I guess

MikeT

John Rowland and Frantone like this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:29 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Thanks Mike T

Having looked at the 540 we now think the 540 might be more flexible, as you say. Our 530 is fine but not so good if one of us wants to get out of bed. Climbing over is quite disturbing!
John

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi Mike
How do the two different table layouts work. I can see the free standing table but not sure what the slats are all about. Hope that makes sense. I have had difernet models of Eribas for many years but haven't looked at the 540 layout.
I'm hoping to have a look at the 540 next week at our local dealer so with your comments it has given a feeling that the 540 is better than the 542 for us.

thanks
john

PooleDweller likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:19 pm

I've found out how the slats etc work from a friend so all is explained

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1