RE: We Foreigners Going Abroad.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:03 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Last time I came home from England last year, I brought loads of stuff that I can't get here like gammon joints, cheeses, and a copious picnic for the journey and no-one batted an eyelid. I think the initial zeal post Brexit has calmed.

I imagine that means that you can bring over your dog/cat food with you? I know this is a worry for many people travelling with pets.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Crystal likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:35 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

As a back up to cash we use a Post Office money card. Load it with Euros, granted not the best rate you can get, but no charges. Works like a debit card everywhere, except serve yourself fuel pumps.

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Magpie and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:27 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I am finding EE quite good at the moment - I have been in and out of Europe a few times over the last year and they charge me a flat £10 a month fee to use all my UK call/ text/data allowance in Europe. I just have to remember to turn it off again when I'm home, bacuse they don't (of course) remind me...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Captain Calamity likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:43 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

I appreciate the heads up. I thought we were due to pay just over £2 a day for EE roaming but have now found the monthly £10 fee buried in the small print!. They don’t make it easy do they?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:05 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

This sounds interesting. I wonder if you could get the same conditions on the 4G mifi routers they sell.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Back to phones etc abroad. Tesco have available on a 1 month contract, something called the family pack. Please don't ask me how it works, but this is it for £30:-
Unlimited data, Unlimited minutes & texts, Works on 4G & 5G, EU roaming for all of 2023.
I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get good wifi on the pitch when abroad. So could you pop one in your phone and link it to your tablet/computer etc, or use it in a mifi router?

Colin

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/sim-onl...ontracts?page=2

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:30 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

I'm on a SIM deal with PlusNet which piggybacks EE & I can use data, texts & calls in most European countries just as I would in the UK.

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roam-li...391ca8444f9d1ac

2001 Super Puck chasing a Skoda Yeti
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:22 pm
by TheFatBadger (deleted)

I do travel a bit with work and have always used the Halifax Clarity Credit Card, no transaction fees and it uses the international visa exchange rate, which is usually pretty good. charges a small fee for cash withdrawals if you get caught short in Albert Hein!

As for mobile data abroad, if you can get a Blue Light Code or similar then EE do 20% off a new contract. Choose one with an 'Included Extra' and you effectively get their 'Roam Abroad' pass for free. I think it covers most European countries plus USA, Canada and Aus.

I'm fairly sure the above is accurate, but please check before you commit!

Proud owners of our first Eriba, a 2022 Troll 530 60th, home to two hyperactive children and two exhausted parents...
Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:01 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

The US inclusion in the EE contract is of interest to me - thanks for that FB.. On that, I also have a Halifax Clarity card for when I need cash abroad but note (as I realised after I used it for the first time) you start accruing interest on any cash withdrawal from the next day. As a result, to get true feeless cash abroad, I immediatley clear that amount I have withdrawn by a transfer in of the equivalent amount of sterling. But then, I am frugal and others might not think it worth the effort...

For normal credit card transactions, my Nationwide card has no penalties for use abroad...

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:18 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

On our trip to Australia in February, I got a Three Contract-free sim with data and that worked as if at home (apart from the few hours in Doha.)

We took a preloaded cash card with no cash-withdrawal charges, but in 3 weeks we NEVER needed cash at all - even buying a hotdog from a charity stall in a car park.🤪

Interestingly, I accidentally paid for a purchase using my NatWest debit card and got the best rates with no charges, so won’t bother messing about on the next trip.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105681 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3