We Foreigners Going Abroad.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Mobile Phone Data Roaming Abroad.

Most UK phone companies would give you some useful free roaming abroad as part of your bundle. Many are now not offering that eg Tesco is abolishing it from May even with existing contracts so best check up what your situation is.

No Charge for Credit Card Transactions Abroad.

This is a bit different. We always used to use a PO Credit Card (Master Card) but were transfered to JaJa ( Visa) by the PO a couple of years ago. Both allowed free transactions abroad apart from cash machines.

HOWEVER, both the missus and I have had the following message from JaJa this week.

"After reviewing our credit card offerings, we've made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jaja Credit Card that you currently hold with us. In line with your terms and conditions, your account will automatically close on 30 May 2023".

Nowt to do with bad payers because we've always been good guys and have religiously payed up what we own every month without fail. More to do with the fact that they don't make money from us OR that they are discontinuing all credit cards.

Whatever the reason, if you are a JaJa customer don't get caught out if you're away and they decide to cancel on you.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:33 pm | Scroll up

RE: We Foreigners Going Abroad.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:27 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

I used to have a mobile contract with 3 - not only because they offered european roaming but, remarkably, I had similar arrangements when I was in the US. Sadly, that went, along with the European roaming when 3 dropped it all together. I transferred to O2 who still offer European roaming. But for how long? Who knows...

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:56 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Money saving expert says best credit card for traveling abroad is by Case bank

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit...l-credit-cards/

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:13 pm

Thanks Steve. We have changed them but I thought I'd give a "Heads Up" to anyone going abroad for a few months in which time a letter might drop on their doorstep cancelling their card.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

Just facing the same thing exactly Roger. Phones are with Tesco, credit card is Jaja. Now need to do a rethink 😡

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Every year or so I say to the lovely Mrs eribaMotters about trying to get a credit card without fees for France. She says no, and who am I to argue, I know my place. As such, I track the euro exchange rate in the months leading up to going away and top up the purse. We usually take about 600 Euros away for a month and do the rest on credit cards. The 2.75% fee typically charged is more or less covered by the better exchange rate we get abroad.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:34 pm
by Crystal | 245 Posts

I've just been back on the Tesco's site and it's changed again since yesterday. If I read it right I think I'm OK to not upgrade until at least the end of the year.

"Our roaming offer has been extended for the whole of 2023
You can now use your phone like you do at home without additional roaming charges for all of 2023.

Pay monthly customers (in and out of contract) who joined or upgraded before 16th June 2022 won’t be affected by any future roaming updates and will continue to use their UK data allowance at no extra cost in 48 Home From Home destinations in the EU and beyond, until they choose to upgrade or change their contract.

Pay monthly customers who joined us on or after 16th June 2022 will be subject to roaming charges from 2024. We’ll be in touch with all impacted customers at least 30 days ahead of any roaming changes coming into effect but no changes are planned for 2023. Current roaming charges are available at tescomobile.com/roaming"

On the subject of Jaja, I got a text this morning, not saying it was from Jaja, that there was suspicious action on my card from someone I'd never heard of and to reply. Thinking it was a hoax, I went onto my account and there was a pending amount from the same people but for a different amount. I phoned them from the number on their website and they have now blocked my card completely and will be issuing another one. I asked if there was any point if they were discontinuing my account, and they said that all the messages that had gone out were a mistake, meant for one person! I said they will be losing a lot of business then as we both have applied for cards from different companies ( Halifax and Virgin) neither of which charge for foreign transactions.

1999 Eriba Troll
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:39 pm

It was only yesterday when we visited Tesco to change my contract phone, we were told that they were not offering any more free roaming abroad and the likely date when it was to discontinue for everyone is sometime in May.

As the boss says above, today it's "all Change" so who the hell knows what's going to happen..............................until it happens.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Confused dot com 🤔
I’m rang Tesco and they told me provided I don’t upgrade that the Home from Home scheme means call, texts etc to UK numbers are included in my bundle. Data used on campsite WiFi is obviously free. Away from WiFi I have the data in my bundle and if I want to add extra data it won’t cost any extra than the UK so I think that means I’m ok. Don’t really understand it all, does this mean I should leave my mobile data turned on or not, total Luddite I’m afraid.
As regards credit cards I’ve discovered that Neil’s card which is with Nationwide doesn’t charge for overseas so I think, she says with her fingers crossed, that we’re all ok.
Not wishing to get political at all but it was SO much easier pre Brexit, food regulations, time restrictions etc.
Can anyone tell me if the food restrictions only apply between the UK and your port of entry ie as I travel through Europe can I take my cheese and fresh veg with me and if not where will it be checked as I’m assuming there are still no borders between EU countries, can you tell I haven’t been over since pre COVID?
With all this confusion the sun better shine 😁

Last edited Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:31 pm

In April 2022 I contacted Europe Direct Contact Centre on <EuropeDirectContactCentre@edcc.ec.europa.eu> My question was:-

The guidelines say no dairy or meat may be brought into Europe from the UK. I have however found this-

The EU document Reference No is:_Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/2122 and reads:_

Pursuant to Article 48(d) and (e) of Regulation (EU) 2017/625, products which form part of passenger’s personal luggage and are intended for their personal consumption or use and small consignments of goods sent to natural persons which are not intended to be placed on the market should be exempted from official controls at border control posts. Concerning small consignments of goods sent to natural persons which are not intended to be placed on the market, Member States should carry-out risk-based controls. The possible risk of introducing pathogenic agents or diseases into the Union through the introduction of products of animal origin should be considered in measures regulating the introduction of such consignments or products.

Your above statement reads that you can take meat and dairy for personal consumption.
Can you please clarify.

Thank you - Colin

======================================================================================================================

The answer I received is below:-

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre.

Following your enquiry, we wish to inform you that if you are travelling in the European Union (EU) you can carry meat or dairy products with you as long as they are for your own personal consumption. This also applies to plants or plant products, such as cut flowers, fruit or vegetables as long as they have been grown in an EU country and are free from pests or disease.

In this context, EU includes the 27 EU countries, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland.

These rules also apply when you carry meat, dairy or plant products in your luggage, or if you order these items online or have them sent by mail.

You will find further general information in this regard at the following pages:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr...al/index_en.htm
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animal...onal-imports_en
If you are still unsure about the possibility to bring your product(s), we invite you to directly contact the national customs authorities in the country of destination:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/cu...inistrations_en

=====================================================================================================================

You can read into the answer two ways.
- Firstly you can take what you want for personal consumption into and across Europe from the UK.
- Secondly, you can take what you want across countries in Europe
I decided to take interpretation No1, but I strongly suspect it should ne No2. Whichever you go for you are OK to take stuff across boundaries once abroad.

=====================================================================================================================

Now the reality of the situation. I do not recall on any forum anybody have food stuffs taken off them when entering France form the UK. Last year we took our usual freezer full of prepared meat products etc without any checks or questions as to what we had being asked. Most seem to continue with the practice of taking a few meals for convenience and the general fresh contents of the home fridge that would resemble a green slime if left there until your return a month or so later.
The worst case scenario for us could have been the goods being confiscated.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:15 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I mentioned the Chase credit card, but it is a debit card. But still it has no transaction fees or markups using it abroad.

https://www.chase.co.uk/gb/en/product/tr...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:52 pm
by Crystal | 245 Posts

Julie, unless you've got a huge amount of data, I'd leave data roaming turned off unless you need to use it.

1999 Eriba Troll
Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:45 pm

Thank you for that, I kept asking the guy from Tesco if should leave it on or turn it off and he just kept reading from his script. Not helpful. They don’t seem to understand that although we use phones and tablets some of us don’t really understand it all.

Crystal likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:45 pm

This is the time you miss that teenage son. You know, the one who used to eat all of the chocolate biscuits, leave their bedroom a mess, hide the tv remote control, forget to let you know when they were out or would be back, spend all night on the playstation ...... but who also knew about phones and computers.

Colin

Julie Grafo, Randa france and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:50 pm

At the time it didn’t seem like there was anything they could teach you or you them. How times change. Grandchildren are quite handy too although they also seem far too fond of the chocolate biscuits 😁

Randa france and Crystal like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 67 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1