wifi

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:45 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I don't watch much tv or use my phone a lot when away in the caravan but for checking weather/emails & local bit & pieces its handy to have signal. we tend to use CL sites & sometimes there's no signal / WIFI . I use an iphone & Ipad & the built in aerial in them must be microscopic, surely if your using one in a car you would imagine you should be able to link into a car aerial without having to pay for a 2nd sim & fancy hi tech router to fit in your caravan without spending £500 + monthly charges when you/ i only need it for a few days a year.

Scroll up

RE: wifi

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I frequently wonder what is the best way to get wifi in the caravan. I nearly came across what I thought would be the perfect solution when moving 6 months ago and we had problem getting a landline for internet .The solution I was considering that was sneakily advised to me by a nice lady in the phone shop was:-
- 3E 4G home broadband router with an unlimited data sim contract. £10 a month then £20 a month from month 7 onwards
- 3E 4G mobile mifi router with 10GB data sim contract. £12 a month for 24 month contract.
- Method, use the home broadband as usual. Cancel the mobile contract when you have ran it for a month and keep the mobile router. When you go away take the mobile router with you and the card form your home router which you swap over into the mobile router. On site you will continue to have unlimited data broadband just as if you were at home.

https://www.three.co.uk/broadband/mobile-broadband

When I come to the end of our current contract with Plusnet I will look at going this route again as the phone with our landline broadband is used about once a week, so do I really need it. For £20 a month I could have unlimited internet wherever I am in the UK. [assuming I'm not in a blackspot]

Colin

edit - another option would be to buy the 3E 4G mobile mifi router with an unlimited data sim contract for use at home and away in the van.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:27 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I have an unlimited data contract with EE on my phone. When we are away I turn my phone into a wifi hotspot and we use our laptops (2015 MacBooks) and iPad Minis through it. No problem. It generally says it's "low data mode" restricted, but have never noticed any problem in use. Worked well last year in France too (having paid the £10 per month fee for data roaming in Europe). Much easier than connecting to horribly slow campsite wifi (and at a cost too)...

I have also been experimenting with a rear facing camera (an old iPhone SE 2020) in the back of the Eriba and have bought a tiny 12v/USB powered wifi router (details: GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM) that sits in the back of my big estate car, providing wifi between my iPad Mini on the dashboard (magnetic air vent mounts) and the camera at the back of the Eriba. Works a treat... This also offers the ability to connect to the internet (whilst on site) in other ways - plug in wifi stick, mains ethernet connection etc. That router costs £33 at the mo from Amazon.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:38 pm

Here's some info on that mini router:

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 51SaySfyb6L._AC_SL1000_.jpeg 
 51p7TZRxJiL._AC_SL1000_.jpeg 
 Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 15.37.43.png 

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:14 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

wow thanks for all the reply's, I'm going to have to try and get my brain cells round these options. As Colin says he doesn't use land line at home much I'm the same and the trouble in the hilly areas on some of the CL sites there is no wifi or signal for my phone or have to stand on one toe holding phone high up. If only the iPhone had a aerial port & just a simple aerial and piece of wire to plug in. I sometimes wonder if we have gone backwards or forwards with technology

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:25 pm

I used to have an external aerial with a cradle attached for my Nokia 3310 - worked really well...! So last century.

perhaps the Elon Musk Starlink system is the way forwards? High speed internet beamed straight from the stars...
Apparently already available - £89 a month and all UK covered apart from far north of Scotland...

Last edited Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:34 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Colin

I think you have to return the router if you cancel within 30 days. After that you can probably keep it but incur a cancellation fee. For £20 Three have a 5g contract. If your on hook up you may as well take the home router with you. You can still buy a 4g mobile router and use the same SIM.

Note that they will increase the price every April by CPI + 3.9%

If you are happy with 4g , a 4g home router is loads cheaper to buy and you can get a Smarty SIM for £20 with no contract and none of those hidden rises.

Smarty uses the same Three network and I tried it out for a month with a borrowed 4g router. They are very sensitive to position in the house to get the best signal and then you may need an external aerial. I live 0.3 miles as the crow flies from the mast. I struggled to get a strong signal and when I did I had satisfactory speeds but found the speed varied a lot and was too inconsistent for me.

My advice would be to blag a router off someone and get a Smarty SIM for a month and try it before you need to give notice to Plusnet.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:47 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Hi Steve

After reading your post & realising with the small 4g router you mention & signal problems so close to a mast! I would struggle, we tend to go in the wilds of Cumbria or Scotland
oh for just a simple aerial to just plug straight in

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:18 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I know 3E have a coverage checker on their website https://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage
I'm guessing this is fairly accurate. It lists us in Hateherleigh Devon as good for 4G inside and outside the house, whilst our son only 6 miles away in Winkleigh has him down for outside the home only. Judging by the number of times he looses a phone call this is spot on.
He also uses a mobile 4G router with a GIffgaff card in the mobile home they live in and this is very hit and miss.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:52 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

i could do with speaking to someone who fits carphone kits, you would imagine there would be an aerial & a wifi/blutooth link or am i being naïve. It just doesn't warrant/afford a fancy kit or monthly charge for the amount of time I'm away

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 49 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4