Caravan Insurance (Yet again!)

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:48 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Last week I received a notification from the company I've been insured with for the past 12 years (Cover4Caravans) that they are no longer able to insure me with Chilli Underwriting. In the past their quotes were always the best and as they dealt with a claim in 2015 very efficiently and to my full satisfaction, I have remained a loyal customer.

Last year our 2003 Triton 420 was insured as follows: Market value £13000; Awning £1000; Contents £1000. Compulsory excess £100. Total: £172.38

I have just obtained online quotes based on Market value £12000; Awning £1000; Contents £1000; Equipment £1000. (I know these amounts are a bit high but I'd I'd rather be over than under insured)

The best quote to include EU cover via Compare Caravan Insurance was Quest euro which offered accidental, family and legal cover at £154.73 with £75 excess. Pretty good I thought.

And then I tried Grove and Dean who offered the same level of cover with AVIVA (£100 excess) for an incredible £109.90 a saving of more than £60 on my last year's premium.

Before I commit myself to what seems like a too-good-to-be-true quote, has anyone else had dealings with this company and would you recommend them?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:35 pm | Scroll up

RE: Caravan Insurance (Yet again!)

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I found the same situation and have taken out a policy with Grove and Dean this year. The only thing I could find in the small print was repatriation from Europe would not be covered. I'm not bothered about this as I take out the C&MC Red Pennant. Have a look here:-
Adrian Flux - Caravan Insurance - UPDATE, also Grove & Dean

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:44 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #1

And then I then tried Grove and Dean

.Aren't they the people who used to do the adverts in the cinema before the film started?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 pm

Or maybe that was Pearl and Bailey.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:48 pm

Or Michael and Grove.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:32 pm

It was Pearl Barley.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks, Colin. I read that thread this morning and it was your post that put me onto Grove and Dean. I also use Red Pennant when crossing the Channel so it looks like I'll be accepting their quote.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 02, 2023 4:02 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Something to bear in mind when looking for cheaper caravan insurance always ask if they require the van to be CRiS registered. Some will stipulate it in the small print, however they don’t tell you this when they give you the quote.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Tue May 02, 2023 4:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 08, 2023 2:37 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Here’s a question, I’ve just been reading my current caravan insurance with caravan guard and one area mentions
“ The Caravan is in a good state of repair, and will be so maintained”
My caravan came off the main agent & was a 2015/320 GT & they serviced it. I thought was in very good condition apart from age of tyres (original) which I changed straight away even though there was no measurable tread gone off tyres. I do usually one trip a year to Scotland @500 miles & say another 500 miles max in my county of Cumbria. How many people would have it serviced yearly doing such a pittance of a mileage. Outside of backplates waxed up when I changed the tyres myself personally, back of wheels polished to help stop alloy wheels sizing on with dissimilar metal . It had all its gas safety checks when I bought it & was serviced by them/ main agents.
Would insurance protest in event of a claim on such a low mileage?
It does get to a point when the caravan in its entire life hasn’t even worn 2mm of tread off tyres

Last edited Mon May 08, 2023 4:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 08, 2023 3:05 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I am unaware of any policy that says how or who should service the van. "The Caravan is in a good state of repair, and will be so maintained" I think is a reasonable request and there is no reason why you cannot do the job yourself. if competent.
My 2017 van had been serviced by an Eriba main dealer until this year, when I have done 99% of the job myself. I've attached the sheets I used, mostly tippex-ed out copies of original Hymer sheets that I photocopied and scanned. I have filled these in noting any works undertaken, observations etc and dated them.
The things I have not done is take the hubs off, but you can inspect shoe wear from the back inspection points. An ex plumber friend looked over the system with his leak detector after I'd ran all appliances to check they worked. Leak detection was also visual, peeling back window rubbers etc. My logic was if I detected anything I would get a caravan engineer to check it out.
I recall the Scottish legends Jandi saying a full service was not really required each year unless you were doing very high mileage. Out of warranty I had planned to do my bits and then every other year get a chassis service done by a caravan mechanic.

Colin

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Own chassis inspection list.doc Own chassis inspection list.doc
Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Inspection Protocol 1.jpg 
 Inspection Protocol 2.jpg 
 Leak Test Protocol 1.jpg 
 Leak Test Protocol 2.jpg 

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004, monoboard and Williebraveheart like this post!
Last edited Mon May 08, 2023 3:06 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:35 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I also decided that my van didn't need servicing every year. My service man said the 2 yearly would be fine if no problems arose. Like Colin I can repair most things of needed. My renewal this year will be £92.49 with Cover 4.. It is only a 1990 Puck !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:54 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Pathe News

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:32 pm
by Captain Calamity | 343 Posts

If you are happy with your insurance provider but not happy with a renewal quote it is always worth while going back with details of an alternative quote. I managed a substantial reduction by simply removing the requirement for a replacement caravan. (I’m guessing this was simply a reason they used to reduce the quote). I have £25k of cover, including European for around £190 with Ripe Caravan Insurance.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:31 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Quote: mr_underhill wrote in post #11
I also decided that my van didn't need servicing every year. My service man said the 2 yearly would be fine if no problems arose. Like Colin I can repair most things of needed. My renewal this year will be £92.49 with Cover 4.. It is only a 1990 Puck !

I think you may have been lucky or otherwise Andy as we've just been told by Cover 4 that they can no longer offer us cover. The reason why? Largely because we don't have the van CRiS registered (see seperate poll I posted earlier). They had tried an alternative company, Am Trust Europe, but they weren't interested because of the CRiS issue.
Because your Eriba is pre 1992 you can't CRiS register it because that's how far back the regsitration goes.

However it would be interesting to know who they have covered you with. When we were told we would have to go elsewhere we went to Compare the Market (Caravans) and they gave us a competative quote of < £130 including foreign travel. However, when we checked it out, it was with Am Trust which we though very strange as that company was supposed to have denied us earlier in the day. When I looked up Am Trust reviews on Trust Pilot they were dreadful.

We have now got a quote from Caravan Guard which costs a lot more but as long as they are kosher I don't mind. It's only money. There was no issue with CRiS membership as long as we could give them our Eriba VIN number

What I find annoying is that CRiS registration is of no use at all if some hell driver decides to shorten your van by a few feet. It's only useful if some cunning crook brakes through the locked gates, angle grinds the wheel clamp and hitch lock off, quietly winds up your corner steadies with a handle and not a drill to ensure perfect silence , hitches your van onto the back of a car/van/tow truck and has it away with ease.

By the way, Saga won't insure us, probably because of the age or CRiS although we know of Eriba owners on here who are with them without CRiS so it's probably the age. Isn't it annoying when companies don't give you a reason for refusal? Ripe Insurance won't ensure us because our Eriba is more than 15 years old.
Adrian Flux and K. Drewe also stopped us in mid-online quote to say that there was a technical issue that prevented them from taking further information.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:55 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1