Installing New Lighting

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:08 am
by Petulapuck (deleted)

Hello Eribafolk,

Our beloved Eriba Puck (approx 1990) is in need of some new lighting. I'm guessing that these big bulky ones are the original ones but not entirely sure. I've lost count of how many times we've banged our heads on them.

I would love to replace them with some modern, more efficient, smaller and brighter LED lighting.

Can it be done with some simple DIY rewiring or will we need to take it to an expert?

Thankyou

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Image 005.png 
 Image 006.png 
 Image 007.png 

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:09 am | Scroll up

RE: Installing New Lighting

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:12 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If you are capable of safely wiring up a plug or socket in the home it should be a simple job. The lights obviously need to be the correct voltage, which should be 12v DC. Buy LED units big enough to cover any existing holes. You will also need to check the polarity of the wires. On newewer vans the brown could be -ve and the blue +ve.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:42 am
by Petulapuck (deleted)

Hi Colin. Thankyou for your advice.
I can definitely change a plug so hopefully that's ok. So is it a case of joining the old wire to the new wire and "crimping" them together?
Do you know how i can check the polarity?
Thanks again.
Liz

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:32 am
by Petulapuck (deleted)

Also, the original lights have 2 switches. One for hook up lighting and one for battery lighting. (I'm guessing this is standard).
On the picture with the wiring, on the electric side (the left side) I realize the blue and brown wires are the Live & Neutral. Why is there a black wire aswell?

With new LED lights, i'd like to be able to still have a choice of turning them on via both the battery and/or the hook up. Would this be possible?

Thanks

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:34 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

You may find you do not need to crimp the wires as the small connecting blocks could be used.
If you do not have a multi meter then the 12v bulbs you have fitted have a blob end which is the +vve and the surround is the negative. See which wire feeds through to these and you should be able to identify if the brown is +ve or negative.

Colin

edit following your recent reply.

It is obviously not going to be a straight forward swap over, so best hang on for one of the electrical experts to give you the advice you need.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:29 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:45 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

If it was mine, and assuming that the hookup was charging the battery, I would just go for a 12v led and safely isolate the 240v wires.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 42 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1