Hi from John

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:16 am
by Johnboy (deleted)

Hi
New to the forum having heard good things about it.
Off in a moment to look at some Eribas and hoping to eventually get a Triton 430 or 420. I have a tight drive so I’ll be asking questions about manouvering in a tight space so I know I’ll need a mover. But…. On my Campervan I had a fixed (cassette?) Ormistor wind out awning. Don’t see many of these on Eribas. Is there a reason for this. Slightly bewildered by the various extras options you can get but looking will be fun.responses gratefully received.Thanks John

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Hi from John

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:03 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Hi John and welcome to Eribafolk

The fixed (cassette?) Ormistor wind out awning you talk of are widely used with Eribas but you have to be careful of the placement of the cassette as it may well interfere with a standard Chalet type awning that is also popular with Eribas. That's because there is a near vertical canvas wall on the van side of a chalet awning which slides into the awning rail. See diagram:-

Omnistore.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:05 am | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:40 pm
by Johnboy (deleted)

Thanks that’s very useful. Having to make a quick decision on whether to go secondhand 430 (2017) or ex demo new at a good price. Decisions decisions

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:24 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Welcome to the Forum John

Yes there are lots of options on the Eriba which make it complicated. You also have to be careful to check that the things that you think are obviously included as standard may not be......!

Seven years from buying our Troll factory built we were stunned to find when we got it that the heating vents in the van were standard the tubing to connect the gas heater to the vents were an extra. Almost unbelievable and one reason why we rarely use the gas heater at all........................!

There has been lots of debate from members over the years about what are desirable options and what are clearly extras. An example is that we were nearly persuaded that the hot water boiler was for wimps and we didn't need it - thankfully we changed our minds and we now see it as an absolute essential for us.

Likewise the debate over a fixed bed or a multi-function one that you can put up & take down is never ending........................MF rules OK

Enjoy your search - the Triton a is a great van

MikeT

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:18 am
by Islay | 220 Posts

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:54 am
by granddadgrape | 1.562 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:27 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:46 pm
by Johnboy (deleted)

Well I went a bit crazy and way over budget and bought a new 430 Gt. deposit down and looking at it tomorrow - interested about why you see hot water boiler as essential- please tell me more ( mine has it by the way) . Also got the multi function bed. Good option I think and we can always leave it made up if we are feeling lazy.Thanks again.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:39 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

The two greatest points of "discussion" amongst owners are probably awnings and hot water. To me, if I'm spending a bucketful of money I want hot water and Mrs eribaMotters definitely wants hot water. Just because you are in a caravan does not mean you need to be deprived of some of the nice things in life. As a factory fit option the electric only is not even all that expensive. After filling up you will have enough hot water for a good few sinks worth of washing within 15 minutes.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Frantone and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:39 am

Not quite being a Devil's Advocate here as I'm one of a number of folk who believes that Eriba'ing is posh camping so keep it simple.

We have slimmed down to the bare minimum which includes no hot water and in our case, no pumped water at all. We rely on a 5 litre water container and a walk to the local tap as and when necessary.

We look on our Eriba as being a tent on wheels that we can spend time in when the weather is not too grand AND we don't have to sleep on the floor.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
HDI163, eribanaut and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:38 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Ditto.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:04 pm
by Johnboy (deleted)

Yes I tend to agree with that sentiment. On my camper I had hot water but never really used it as we tended to use site facilities, I'm guessing it will be similar with the Eriba. I like the fact that the Eriba has a 30 ltr tank which means probably will use that for drinking water. Probably picking up my Eriba next week and biggest concern now is getting off the road and down a sloping drive. I'm sure it'll be OK but it's always nerve wracking first time you do something new.I'm still trying to figure out why I just love the Eribas and yet have never liked caravans in the past. It must be an Eriba specific thing- I even dream about my new Eriba- strange times!

Seat Ateca Triton 430 2023
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:22 pm

Hi John. Sloping roadways and drives.

Don't forget that all braked trailers, Eribas and caravans have an overrun braking system. That means that when you manually apply the handbrake of the Eriba before unhitching, it is not fully on. This is particularly important if you are unhitching on a slope.

However strong you are, the handbrake, when applied, will not be fully efficient. If parking pointing up the slope, the Eriba will roll back a foot or so and the handbrake lever will snap into the fully upright position and totally lock the brakes. Any doubts then get a couple of breeze blocks behind the wheels before unhitching. If pointing down the slope, chock in front of the wheels and after unhitching see if you and a friend, enemy or wife can help you push the van back up the slope to lock the brake lever on.

Randa

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:11 pm
by Johnboy (deleted)

I did not know that so thanks. From what you are saying sounds like it would be best to reverse the Eriba down my drive? Mine will have a manual motor mover - am I correct in thinking that will mean I don't have to worry about the handbrake and this overrun braking system?

Seat Ateca Triton 430 2023
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

As a guide,
- park up with van on the back and engage car handbrake.
- disconnect breakaway cable and electrics lead
- engage handbrake on van.
- you now need to make sure the damper is not compressed on the van which would show up as the rubber gater being compressed.
- release handbrake slightly on car/van as needed to release the compression and then re-apply.
- engage the mover onto van tyres and then release van handbrake.
- motor move van to where you want.
- apply wheel chocks to van and handbrake.
- disengage motor mover, the van may roll slightly due to play in the handbrake.
- wind down corner steadies to level van.

After a few goes it all becomes second nature.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0