Top factoid

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:26 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Actually it might not be a top factoid to anyone who already knows it, but it might be to those who don't.

The utter vastness of space - as in the inky blackness all around - is pretty much impossible to attempt to comprehend at the best of times.

Here's a thing which might provide a slightly better grasp of the relative size of our infinitesimally teeny part of it.

On average - because it varies a bit - it's about 250,000 miles from Earth to the moon.

That's the kind of mileage an old Mercedes taxi in Cairo would probably do in its lifetime, and isn't beyond what a regular car could achieve if it was looked after properly.

Not a huge distance by any means, and in the bigger context of our little bit of space, smaller than microscopic.

Despite that proximity, if you could arrange all the planets in the Solar System in a row, like playground marbles, they would all fit between Earth and the moon - that quarter of a million miles - with a couple of thousand miles or so left over.

Even the whoppers like Jupiter and Saturn. The whole lot.

Using current technology it would take round about 12 years to get from Earth to Neptune, for example. That's twelve years travelling through an awful lot of nothingness before you get there.

It's a long, long, long way away.

I think that gives a pretty good idea of just how much nothing there is, even in our indescribably minute part of the whole of everything.

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Top factoid

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #1

Using current technology it would take round about 12 years to get from Earth to Neptune, for example. That's twelve years travelling through an awful lot of nothingness before you get there.

It's a long, long, long way away.

I think that gives a pretty good idea of just how much nothing there is, even in our indescribably minute part of the whole of everything.

Cor Pete. That puts us in mind of the journey between Reims and Dijon on the A26/A5.

R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:34 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.458 Posts

Is it raining where you live? You seem to have time on your hands 😁
I however am spending my time usefully browsing the Forum rather than getting on with mopping the kitchen floor which is what I probably should be doing 🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:58 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #3
You seem to have time on your hands...
Only as much time as it took to type it.

And I can type v. fast, so there

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:16 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Can you slow down on the typing please ? I cant read that fast !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:35 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

I thought the drive from Lancashire to Norfolk towing our Troll was slow and tedious but that puts it all into perspective...........................!

I'm with you Julie - I should be writing up some minutes after a dull meeting last night but browsing the Forum seems far more important

MikeT

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:53 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I had thought of going to Neptune for a picnic this weekend. Anyone know a shortcut?

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:03 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Quote: Williebraveheart wrote in post #7
I had thought of going to Neptune for a picnic this weekend. Anyone know a shortcut?

No need to go that far for a Picnic Mick, they sell them in most sweet shops along with Mars and Milky Ways.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
mr_underhill and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:07 am
by Islay | 215 Posts

Now my brain hurts.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:08 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

I believe you'd need to turn Saturn's rings on edge to make it fit...

If the Moon wasn't in Earth's orbit it would be large enough to count as a planet - unlike Pluto, which isn't. It's a dwarf planet. Bit sizeist really...

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 sddefault.jpg 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:11 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105652 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4