Complete novice looking for inspiration!

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:05 pm
by Tim Thompson (deleted)

Hi Folks,

Completely new to caravans, but have camped several times over the last few years. Looking for some awning inspiration to go with a Triton. Budget of £1000-1500.

Not sure what’s good and what’s not? Steel poles, carbon fibre or air? What’s good value for money (expensive doesn’t always mean good value)? The main test will be pleasing Mrs T, so good quality, robust and durable. Nothing that will only last a year or so and nothing that’ll look tatty! We’re fit and active, so weight and bulk not so much of an issue.

Happy to take all advice, as looking at prices, mistakes could be costly!

TVM 😎

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Complete novice looking for inspiration!

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

Tim, the first question is do you really need an awning.

If the answer is you need space, stay on pitches for more than a few days and do not mind the inconvenience of weight and pitching up then you do.
The very best out there is a Fortex or Unico. These are about £2,500 - £3,000 new, if you can get one delivered to the UK. Second hand they do come up occasionally and £600 - £800 should be the most you would pay.
If you had to buy new and do not want a traditional frame tent style then I'd look at the Kampa Pop Air 340, with optional front canopy.

If the answer is no, then save yourself a lot of money and hassle. Get a 3m Isabella Shadow Sunshade and something like a Vango Siesta lightweight blow up awning. At 3.1 x 2.5m it is still a reasonable size.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:28 pm
by Captain Calamity | 343 Posts

For up to three nights we use a Shadow. It gives us shelter to dry the dog if it’s raining or sunshade if we are lucky enough to be in sunshine. It takes 5 minutes to put up. For longer stays we use a Popair 340. It did take us a while to get used to it and the latest models are certainly better than our 2017 version. The sequence of erection is crucial. There are some good utube videos available. A stand-alone step helps to get the awning (which is heavy) up to the awning rail and be aware it is a two man job to thread it into the rail. BTW That step also means you don’t have to cut holes in the awning skirt. Then pump up the awning and peg it out. All done in about 20 minutes. Other awnings can look nicer but take longer to erect. One tip - but a pair of Dorema awning stoppers (eBay - £12) and they will stop the awning from pulling out of the awning channel which can be a problem particularly if there is any wind.

addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:39 pm
by Tim Thompson (deleted)

Thanks for this Colin.

In simple terms the answer is yes, we want one for the space and utility with the dogs. We’re also keen to avoid cooking in the caravan, so this would be a cooking area, as we’ve always done whilst camping. We’re also both fit and active, so pitching isn’t an issue.

Budget wise, we’ve allocated around £1000-£1500, so hoping we can get something reasonable? Kampa Pop Air Pro or Isabella Capri North have been mentioned, or the Isabella Air X-Tension drive away? I don’t know if you’ve any experience of these?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

I have experience of the Kampa in both of it's versions. The awning is a good all round balance on quality, price, performance etc. If you own a post 2010 van then I really cannot advise strongly enough buying the version two of the awning produced from 2019 onwards.
The Isabella Capri North is a traditional frame awning and made from the usual Isabella high quality materials. I have not owned one but it is a generic design used by the likes of Soplair and Movera whose awnings I have owned. They all pitch in the same manner and require a few brackets to be fitted to the van, unlike the Kampa that does not due to the air beam design.
The Isabella Air X-Tension drive away is owned by a couple of members who I'm sure will be along soon. Or you could read up on the awning here:-
Isabella AIR X - Tension, hot news !!!

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:34 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

There a Fortex for sale £300 on the Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/eriba/pe...509218619247867

Screenshot 2023-07-31 222957.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Steve

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:56 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

we use a sunshade that came with eriba, it was 3 metal poles however 1 person could not put it up without the poles trying to crash into eriba! even with nipples on
so sew a channel on the sun shade and got 12 bendy poles (they are from amazon, threaded elastic through them). threaded the poles through channel ensuring pushed in right direct so not to come apart, a skill learnt quickly when accidently ejected poles wrong way.
found a pin on a circle https://www.amazon.co.uk/CUTICATE-Alumin...s%2C156&sr=8-14
to anchor the end poles to and pegged still have 3 guy ropes
the poles make an arch fabric follows it. we had it up in 40℃ last year. easy to put up and take down.
Awning wise could look into drive away awnings https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=drive+away+...s_ts-doa-p_6_18
just be aware some club sites have a size limit and fire gap,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colapz-Camping-...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1 we got this one as a project utility space for garden it actually goes up and down quite quickly due to poles being attached not the name. no window due to its initial purpose. 1.5metres square foot print so tiny compared to awnings.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:23 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

After looking at all the alternatives, we opted for a 2nd gen (post 2019) PopAir Pro 340 (bought new) for our Triton - with zip on bedroom annexe and sunshade on the front. It has been (and continues to be) brilliant for us - we even use it on weekends away. It is heavy to install, though - and two people make it much easier (one to feed and one to pull, however I have done it on my own twice. I'm 6' which probably helps and haven't needed to use a step or box. If you don't need the annexe, or the sunshade, and have a pre-2010 van, then the Gen 1s go for low prices if you look carefully and are prepared to wait.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105702 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1