RE: Welsh speeding

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:05 am
by John Cross | 264 Posts

Where we live, it is a 30 mph road through the village, but most drivers are going over the limit.
Some in excess of 60-70 mph.
I don't want 20 as it's too slow, just be nice if all drivers obeyed the speed limits.
20 outside schools and some residential areas is good, but not a blanket limit.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:27 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

At my previous residence the roads were named Oulton road, Thruxton close, Brand road and so on. Unfortunately a small minority treated our road as Santa Pod, and that was with chicanes, speed tables and planters all over the place. I agree overall with the reductions to 20mph, but unfortunately that small minority will continue to be a menace to everyone else.

Eribaless
Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:57 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

An interesting addition to this topic. An article on our main evening news this evening. So a Speed Trap was set up outside a primary school in the midlands here in Ireland this morning. Speed Limit: 40 KPH. If drivers were caught over 50 they faced full penalty points and monetary fine. If however a driver was between 40 - 50 KPH they were offered an option for today only: Take the Points and fine OR face a jury of 6th class ( generally about 12 year old children ), properly set up in their Gym 'Court', to question the guilty driver with the Gardai (Police) and teachers in attendance as 'witnesses'. So four drivers opted for the latter. It seems the guilt was such that many others favoured the licence penalty points + fine. Apparently, those that did face the 6th. class students figure they won't go there again ! The Students gave them chapter and verse of road death and injury statistics. The thinking is that this will educate both drivers of today and those of the future. The pilot project is considered sucessful, they are rolling it out elsewhere.
Not sure which option I would choose myself if guilty and offered.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0