Welsh speeding

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:42 am
by Bryn | 993 Posts

Will Randa now have to go on a "speed awareness course" so he can increase his speed to 20 mph ?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Welsh speeding

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:56 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Seriously though, I can't believe how much hype there is about it. Our village has had a 20 mph speed limit for ages and many European towns and cities also have these speed restrictions, many of them with "sleeping policemen" and "chicanes". We really don't want to go down that road (pun intended).

WALES IS BRINGING IN A 20 MPH SPEED LIMIT

We've not ventured out since the restricitons were imposed so we don't know how many rural roads are affected. Evidently, the Police are only dishing out warnings for the first 12 months but we've knocked out a 20mph sticker for the dashboard to remind us.

Don't want to get all political about it but I'm all for it as long as they don't overdo it.

ps. The M4 at Newport and Port Talbot have 50mph limits to help with air pollution .

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/2023/r...%20NO2%20levels.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:51 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:35 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #2
We've not ventured out since the restricitons were imposed so we don't know how many rural roads are effected.
Pretty much none of them, because 30 isn't the default speed limit on rural roads.

The roads affected are ones which have a restricted 30 limit already (i.e. roads in built-up areas), but even so it doesn't apply to all of those.

Not a blanket 30 to 20 change by the looks of it.

There's a map here.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:16 pm
by Islay | 216 Posts

As Roger said, many other places are doing it too. In our town, most roads are 30KMS and in front of the bars and cafés, where people have the habit of walking into the road like lemmings, it's 20. So that's slower than your 20MPH. It takes some getting used to and some roads don't seem very logical. But, it's about time that the car stopped being king, especially in residential places.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Randa france and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:08 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I must confess I like the idea of the 20mph limit as I have no plans to go to Wales soon.
But on a serious note, I like the idea for the safety element but do not agree with my learned Welsh colleague about the chicanes etc. When driving through French villages you get the impression that the problem has been addressed in a more thoughtful manner. The physical geography of the road has been addressed with speed cushions, road narrowing, road splitting, central flower beds, etc. You are made to slowdown by these measures and not just a speed sign. It would appear they have a system that works and is a model we would be wise to follow.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:18 pm

Sleeping policemen are a bugger for your car's tracking though Colin and some of the French ones are so high.

I think I'd rather educate drivers to slow down but there are, of course, many nutters about where physical barriers are the only solution.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:13 pm
by Islay | 216 Posts

Our road is being re-done. Works will last until April next year. But, the result will hopefully be a shared space where pedestrians and cyclists are proiority, the speed limit will be 30kms, a single lane for cars going both ways, ...... so cars will have to pull over to allow cars going the other way.......priority from the right, long speed bumps. Designated parlking spaces - no more random parking all over pavements.....plantings.... it might be bedlam, it might be wonderful. I'm feeling very optimistic. It's a very busy road during the day.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
eribaMotters and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:30 pm

And there was I thinking you lived in Binic in Brittany Islay not Bedlam in Beckenham, London?

Randa

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:04 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

You will be getting overtaken and chased by the cyclists, the 20mph doesn’t apply to them.
Speed limits listed in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and also Rule 124 of the Highway Code relate to motor vehicles and not to bicycles.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:57 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

We are going through the same process here right now. Our Speed Limits are being reduced on many roads. Sadly, we have had a rise in road traffic accidents / fatalities this year which is prompting this as a matter of urgency. I know it sounds silly but each individual road would really have to be judged to set a speed limit. Having a 'one size fits all speed limit' for rural roads is not really safe practice. I am very familiar with one road that is 80KPH Max and honestly 50 KPH is too fast for it. Likewise, we have long 'safe' straights with only farmland either side and this may be signed as 60 KPH. So quite a lot are being reduced now and this is causing consternation amongst many. Much debate on radio etc. Too many people see the limit as a target speed.

New Speed Limits.PNG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:35 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

the A1 motorway was 20mph today! we ventured up the learner route instead at 40mph.
seriously though how many of you can tootle in top gear at 20mph?
wont many folks be in 2nd x third gears hence more pollution.
them who broke the speed limit before will still carry on as they are suffering with "how great they are" complete with lead foot.

we drive according to the condition of road, weather, visibility, on narrow roads its 20 mph because of corners outgrown hedges and these local big tractors taking up all road traveling at 40mph should see all tractor brake marks on road! no wonder tractors wobble on road with all flat spots.

who is policing the cyclists who are doing 39mph in a 30mph zone..

have no issue with outside school road being 20mph, for some reason, youngsters have no fear of traffic will step out of gaps directly in path of a vehicle?
what happened to the tuffty club?
https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/the-tufty-club

Williebraveheart and John Cross like this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:45 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I am really saddened by how many of my fellow motorists around here (rural Suffolk) are incapable of keeping to the current 30mph speed limits in villages. People have become so selfish. And quite a few seem to be one speed merchants - 40mph everywhere... Quite a few times in small villages on our local A road (the A143 Great Yarmouth to Bury St Edmunds road) I have even had large articulated trucks trying to push me to go faster in villages.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Poptop320, Randa france, dinky and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:49 am
by Bryn | 993 Posts

It was a joke !!!!!!!!!

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:16 am

Quote: Bryn wrote in post #13
It was a joke !!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's why I clicked "Like" under your comment but went on to say in the next post. "Seriously though".

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am

Quote: addisb wrote in post #10
Having a 'one size fits all speed limit' for rural roads is not really safe practice. I am very familiar with one road that is 80KPH Max and honestly 50 KPH is too fast for it.

Chris. When we came over and met up with you and Joan in 2018 we couldn't believe it when we were touring the Ring of Kerry with its very narrow and bendy roads. Outside the villages all the signs told us we could do 100KPH. Impossible unless you're a maniac. You'd come off after the first bend

Randa

addisb likes this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:29 am | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3