The early worm bookings and Weather

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:22 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

Last year I must have had a 4 leaf clover that I didn't know about when I booked our 2 separate weeks holidays. We had a great summer and we got to stay in our 2 favourite sites for a week each with sunshine almost all the way. Brilliant. So without much thought I figured I could just easily repeat this again this year and so not to miss out I booked up both Sites again, for July, in March. Well need I say more ? We didn't last the week in either Site. We left early from both due to the monsoon season being dumped upon us. So I decided no.. not again.. next year I will wait until about a week before and last minute bookings, weather dependant. There is then every possibility that I will not be able to secure bookings, so what to do ? A Crystal Ball would be great but mine is fogged up.
"book early to avoid dissapointment" .. so much for that in 2023

Randa france and Islay like this post!
Scroll up

RE: The early worm bookings and Weather

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

We made 4 bookings for 2023, one 12 months in advance.
We had to defer the 3 day break in Somerset, but it turnrd out to be a sunny one.
Our two 3 day breaks in Cornwall turned out to be one glorious and dry, the other wet.
The big 4 week holiday in France for Sept could always in theory be a bit or miss. It has turned out more of a hit with 2 weeks of it seeing glorious blue sky's and 34/36c. The rest has been a mix of what I would call typical UK summer weather, a mix of warm, overcast, drizzle, but nothing to stop us enjoying a day out, reading a book under the canopy or fitting in a cycle ride.
It is all a matter of luck, and I'm hoping for some next year as we have our return crossing to France and one of our sites booked.
When home I'll start the search for the other.

If anybody knows of somewhere on the Ile d' Oleron, west side, small site, pool, short walk to village/general shop, ACSI listed for start of June, please let me know.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Keith and Sue likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:41 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Chris. Although it fortunately didn't affect us too much, we were in "Sunny" Italy at the time the weather changed from bright sunshine to monsoon. The campsite in Pisa changed from OK to swamp within 24 hours and the rest of our trip in Italy was a wash out except for a number of nice days in Sienna.

Back to France and the weather changed and we had some really hot weather. We had all that the BIG Man (or LADY) could throw at us this year. Snow in the Alps, Floods in Italy, Scorching weather in France except for one day when we had an almighty storm that almost blew us away. While we were hanging onto the Isabella a bloody tree blew down and landed only feet away from the Eriba.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:53 pm
by Islay | 216 Posts

This year it's either been too hot or too wet. Grrr!
Colin, is there a special reason why you prefer the west of Oléron? We go to the north east. Lovely.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:36 pm

I just thought it would be nice for sunsets. We stayed on NW of Ile d'Re at Ars en Re in 2019 and liked the sunsets there.
What site would you advise on NE?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:34 pm
by Islay | 216 Posts

Well, I hesitate to recommend this site. We go every year because it's in a forest, lots of cycle paths and walks, no restaurants or shops. But the beach is paradise. The toilets are totally disgusting so I recommend being self-sufficient for those. Showers are fine and new. It's restful and really lovely. But it's probably not really what you're looking for.
Sunset is very pretty from the beach looking over to La Rochelle and Fort Boyard. You go to sleep listening to the waves on the beach.
The south west is muddy and lovely if you like fishing on foot. - I don't know what it's called in english - digging up molluscs from the mud.
http://www.campingclubdefrance.fr/index.php/fr/la-gautrelle

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Islay wrote in post #6
The south west is muddy and lovely if you like fishing on foot. - I don't know what it's called in english - digging up molluscs from the mud.

I don't know what it's called in English either.

In French, it's sentir les muscles en remuant les orteils.

Sincerely,

A. Twit

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:34 pm

Thanks Islay. I'll look it up when back home. Currently piggy backing off Wi-Fi from the campsite 150 m away across the river is a bit hit and miss.
We like a decent loo and shower. I want a pool and I'm not interested in water slides, amusements, entertainments, bar/restaurant/on-site shop etc.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:46 am
by Islay | 216 Posts

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:39 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

"I don't know what it's called in English either.

In French, it's sentir les muscles en remuant les orteils."

In the USA (New England) they call it "clamming"

In Orkney they call it "graving" (from old English/Norse "grafa" to dig)

Personally, after our local MP Therese Coffey's stand on "emissions" from UK sewage farms into our rivers and seas, I think I'll give shellfish collection a miss. They're not called "filter feeders" for nothing...

Others love it. here are pictures of a friend's daughter collecting razor clams in Pembrokeshire by "salting". The clams just rise from the sand...

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 5194655_orig.jpg 
 5241780_orig.jpg 
 5892297_orig.jpg 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:47 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2