Blister on the bodywork

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:59 pm
by BVMC | 8 Posts

On collecting our new-to-us 2015 Triton 430 on a rainy day last week, after 20 miles I noticed a blister at the back of the caravan.
Blister1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Blister2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Has anyone else seen this on theirs? It has gone down now (presumably the water has drained away), but is it something that I should get repaired and, if so, how?
Brian.

Scroll up

RE: Blister on the bodywork

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:08 pm
by Allypete | 30 Posts

I have heard recently that some Eribas have got a vinyl wrap on the lower section to create a silver finish. Could yours be one of these? I could be totally wrong as I'm new to these vans. It looks to me that water is getting under the vinyl.

It looks like the rain is channeling down from the waist strip above - so you may have a defective seal near the handle end.

Pete

Last edited Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:10 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:13 pm
by Randa france | 12.872 Posts

Hi Brain. Who did you purchase it from? A Dealer or privately. I've not seen or heard of this happening before particularly as it's a modern van.

Allypete may be correct in suspecting that it could be a vinyl wrap although I only know of one retailer who does that by wrapping the lower van in either red or blue. Not heard that they do silver but who knows?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:19 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Definitely looks like a vinyl wrap to me. The texture is dimpled and Eriba have not on that year of van produced anything other than white in the dimpled finish. As mentioned above, water is getting behind the vinyl.
I'd seek advice from vinyl applicator such as a sign writer, but I'm guessing you could warm the area with a hair drier, lift the corner and re-lay.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Pepé Le Pew and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:48 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:47 pm
by BVMC | 8 Posts

Thank you both. I purchased it from Leisure First, to whom I have sent the same photos, but I haven't received a response yet. The body is dimpled rather than smooth, so I wouldn't have thought it would lend itself to be wrapped.
Brian.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:14 pm
by Allypete | 30 Posts

Brian

I think I saw your van at LF when we visited a couple of weeks ago just before the NEC show and recall them telling me it was vinyl wrapped to give a dimpled finish to match the top half. Previously it would have been smooth metal.

I’d wait till they come back to you - hoping you’ve got some kind of warranty they should repair it. If not, I don’t think the repair is very difficult. Cut the vinyl with a sharp blade like a scalpel in the form of an ‘H’, peel back and use a vinyl adhesive to bond back smoothing carefully as you go. Very gentle heat applied to the area with a hair dryer would help.

Pete

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:21 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:43 am
by BVMC | 8 Posts

Thank you Pete.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:57 am
by Randa france | 12.872 Posts

Quote: BVMC wrote in post #5
Thank you both. I purchased it from Leisure First, to whom I have sent the same photos, but I haven't received a response yet. The body is dimpled rather than smooth, so I wouldn't have thought it would lend itself to be wrapped.
Brian.

Yes. Leisure First is the only Dealership that I know of who DO take standard vans and create Ocean Drive (blue) and Rockabilly (red) lookalikes.Therefore in view of what Allypete has said, it's a clincher or can I say "it's a wrap" (pun intended).

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:31 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts

Hi. If you've only just bought it, I'd take it straight back! That's totally unacceptable. It's a total dog's dinner!

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.

Last edited Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:32 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:49 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

b & m do a nice wood effect wrap for interiors also at amazon.
gosh makes wonder if butted up to seal rather than under, there are proper wraps for automotive industry. speak to trading standards citizens advice, wonder what else they done.
who serviced it if keep would get a accredited workshop to inspect for peace of mind

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:47 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

Putting a vinyl wrap on a dimpled finish material must be hard to do well, given the masses of indentations in all sorts of directions.

Or is it a dimpled vinyl that's been put on a smooth van as the sliver of white visible above the waist line doesn't look dimpled. Not sure why anyone would put a dimpled vinyl wrap on a smooth surfaced van though is a mystery and would have me concerned they were covering up paintwork damage.

If the van has smooth metal above the waist and dimpled below then there's definitely something amiss because Bad Waldsee don't make a van with mixed dimpled and smooth finishes.

Another thought. Whilst LF have wrapped some vans in red and blue as cheap copycat versions of Hymer's special editions, as Roger says they're not known for grey vinyl wrapping. I'm wondering if it's a DIY job by a previous owner , maybe inspired by LF's efforts.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:52 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:39 am
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Andy, LF are definitely wrapping in silver. They have two vans on there website. https://www.leisurefirst.com/approved-us...a-troll-540-x2/
The 2014 and 2016 shown were never available as a white over silver. I asked for a white over silver in my 2016 order for 2017 delivery and was told it was not available. In early 2017 they became available for the first time since 2010 on mainland Europe in full GT spec.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:57 pm
by BVMC | 8 Posts

LF got back to me and are happy to remove the wrap completely. I share Steamdrivenandy's concerns that putting a vinyl wrap on a dimpled finish would be difficult to do well and I don't want a similar problem occurring somewhere else in the future. I'm very pleased with LF's response to me reporting the issue.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105658 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1