Poor workmanship and after sales care.

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 pm
by Martin Bishop | 1 Post

We bought a brand new Eriba 540 Touring GT from Glossop caravans in December 2022. It was our first ever caravan, bought with pending retirement in mind. We did not look at any other manufacturer, as my mother is the highly satisfied owner of a 23 year old Eriba Puck which has been fault free since purchase. Our van has had numerous problems with fittings, and now awaits warranty work to correct 9 different faults. We have waited 4 months for warranty work to start as Glossop Caravans say they have had to wait for parts from Germany, and we still don't have a start date. We are also concerned that broken parts will be replaced with like for like parts which I fear will likely fail. Overall, we are disappointed with the caravan, Eriba, and the quality of after sales service. Any thoughts from Eriba owners?

Scroll up

RE: Poor workmanship and after sales care.

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:06 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

welcome to the forum
the leisure industry is known for part delays its right across the brands.
my old lass is just as good as your mothers.

Am interested to learn your issues having,
not all parts are Eriba specific,
some fit other brands, like window catches, door catches, blinds, thetford toilet, sink taps, and water pumps, fridges, heaters. hydraulic assisters.

for us older owners there are places like leisureshopdirect

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:39 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

It's difficult to comment on without knowing what the nine faults are.

It's generally agreed that the build strength of Touring range vans reduced when production transferred from France to Germany in 2010 and that things have got even worse since the sale of Hymer to Thor Industries. Having said that there have also been some good design improvements during that period but the vans just aren't as robust. Currently they seem to be going through a 'fur coat and no nickers' period. Bling is the thing - which is probably a US influence - I'm waiting for shark fin rear bumpers to appear.

Joking aside. The leisure vehicle industry is still suffering from supply train issues and this shows up in the spares area. What limited supplies of parts they can get hold of go straight into production of new vans to keep the production lines running and the cashflow positive. That means that owners have to wait for parts but that's marginally better than the company going out of business because they can't make any vans as the parts have all gone out to existing owners.

I also suspect that Thor have reduced parts stockholding to reduce the money tied up and that often means they have to build up sufficient numbers before they can place an order for a batch of a particular part to be made.

Another factor may be that Glossop have only become Hymer appointed dealers in the last couple of years and though they're a long established dealership they don't have much experience in Eriba aftersales. More info on the issues you're suffering may help us guide you and maybe even guide Glossop on what to do for the best.

Always remember your sales contract is with the dealership, not Hymer and it's their legal duty to put right any issues no matter what Hymer do or say. If the parts supply issue is extended you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the ultimate of which is rejection of the van due to unreasonable delay and inconvenience in repair.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:50 am
by eribahaulers | 7 Posts

We bought a new 430 in 2022, I have had Eriba vans for 15 years, not that I am in the market but I would not buy another.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:01 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I'm not saying anything, as I think my views on this are clear to the regulars.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:20 am
by GrandpaP | 35 Posts

I share your pain Martin. Having owned a 2006 Troll 530 and subsequently a 2015 model and then a 2022 one. The 2006 was the best build by far. We were so disappointed with the 2022 model we sold it back to the dealer even though that hurt financially.We are now just using our VW Camper whilst we ponder our next move.

marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:06 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

Paul, whilst the manufacture support will be the same, the Eriba Feeling is in another league as regards build quality. I've owned Tourings from 2001, 2006, 2007 [I think the best] and 2017. The Feeling is a better built van than any of them and to my amazement it is also nicer to tow.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Same GrandpaP same , Our French built 2007 Triton was faultless, our 2017 Troll was heartbreaking sold it to a dealer to sort it out couldn't bear to sell it privately. VW camper van now will not be getting another Eriba

Denies & Phil

HDI163 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:43 am
by Islay | 216 Posts

And our old 1998 Triton is still going strong with no problems. All we've had to change was the element in the fridge. Consider an older one!

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105706 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5