Help !!! Front window wont close

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:30 pm
by Old Rocker | 493 Posts

We are still on site and after opening a front window to wipe away condensation the stay will not release and allow the window to close. After fully opening to release it it wont go past the widest opening point. I have removed the screws to allow the window to close, as yhe other side released but the stuck one will still not release.
Help very much appreciated
Thanks

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20240209_123138.jpg 

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies

Last edited Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:32 pm | Scroll up

RE: Help !!! Front window wont close

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:15 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Looks like you've got the window shut Mick.

When you get home remove the offending hinge and lay it flat on a bench/table. There's a small gizmo inside that locks into notches in the hinge channel and when you lift up the gizmo moves out of the way. Obviously yours is stuck in the lock position.

Easier to play with it and get is released on a workbench than in a field.

Yes, not the same hinge but you'll get my drift:-

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Old Rocker and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:27 pm

Thanks Randa had a look at that video earlier. Problem is how to remove the arm from the window. It is attached to the lock arm bonded to the window I can't see any way of removing it. Looks like a mobile chappie when we get back home to sort it

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:52 pm

Hi Mick. I managed to replace the two rear window hinges on our Eriba a few years ago and had no difficulty in removing the old ones. Can't remember what I did and currently can't find any info about it. I'll keep looking.
It must have been straightforward as I've no longer got the patience to deal with any bovver.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Old Rocker likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

The arm has a long sliding dovetail housing on the back of it. On the widow is fixed a plastic block with the matching profile. To remove one from the other you need to find the 2mm hole, which I cannot remember is through which piece. Into this poke a skewer or possibly cocktail stick and the two will slide apart.
Each year I give these ratchet stays a good spray of PTFE, as I've also suffered the same problem in the past.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm

How Annoying. I can give the exact date that I changed the hinges (27th July 2019) and a few pics of the broken gizmo but I' can't find and reference as to how I removed them and fixed the new ones.

For what it's worth these a re a few of the photos I took at the time.

sIMG_9186.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)sIMG_9191.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)sIMG_9195.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)sIMG_9196.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Hold on, looking at your photo again Mick, you can take the whole hinge off including the "locking lever".

Randa

Old Rocker and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:29 pm

Thanks Randa at the moment I can't see how I would remove it but we are home tomorrow so will have a look over the weekend
Colin thanks for that tip the only hole I can find is shown on attached pic. I've tried poking about in it but no joy

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20240209_162353.jpg 

Last edited Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:35 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

I wonder if the sprung whatever it is inside has gone past the point of no return and is no longer accessible. Strange that the other side didn't 'lock out' at the same time.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:46 pm

I'll try and explain it another way. The hole you are looking for is not along the length of the aluminium stay.
One end of the sliding arm is screwed to the aluminium trim around the window, which you have released, the other is a hinged black plastic lump attached to the window. This fitting is a plastic mount bonded? to the widow, onto which slides the plastic lump on the end of the sliding arm. To the best of my memory from experiencing the same problem in 2012, the 2mm hole you are looking for is in this plastic lump. When you push a small meat skewer into the hole it pushes down a plastic clip and allows the fitting to be slid off the mount.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:28 pm

Andy, both sides stuck but after I unscrewed them both I was able to get one side to retract into itself..... with a bit of difficulty and persuasion
Colin thanks I'll have a look for the other hole
Thanks everybody

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:55 pm

Thank you to all, finally managed to remove the stays from the window(thank you Colin) a suitable amount of white lithium grease applied. The both stil seem very "sticky" so it looks like a new pair are required

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:56 pm

Be careful when ordering a new pair of hinges. There are two types with little difference between them. I can't quite remember but the type I ordered had a slightly different handle fixing so I needed to do a bit of plastic removal and re-drilling to get them to fit.

The ones I didn't order would have been perfect.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:56 pm

Don't forget you can get the same sizes in the sliding tube type with locking thumbscrew that are infinitely variable. I used this type on the pair I replaced.

Colin

Simboc2004 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0