540 Multifunctional Seats - are they a necessity?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:11 pm
by thebonze | 4 Posts

Hi All,

We’re in the process of agreeing a deal for a 2023 540. We’re getting it for a great price (dealer shifting 2023 stock), and it has pretty much all of the optional extras, apart from the multifunctional seats.

Myself and my wife aren’t fussed about the option to have single beds, and also aren’t too bothered about having pull out slats (making up the bed in the evening is always a chore regardless of mechanisms), but wanted to check we’re not overlooking anything here, or if it could affect resale in the future etc.

Any advice from your prior experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: 540 Multifunctional Seats - are they a necessity?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:05 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

Our first 540 was standard config. with the big table that clips to the rear of the van. It had what seemed like a lightweight scaffold pole that swung across the aisle to support a double bed set up. It also involved the two seat cushions having a thick ply base as they were moved to the centre and had to be solid to support people in bed. That made them heavy as well as long and unwieldy.

By contrast the second 540 had the multi function arrangement with central chest and swing out small 'coffee table top', the latter being abandoned in 2010 IIRC. The standalone table, though being a tad heavy and cumbersome was much more useful than the standard type. It could be put anywhere in the van, the awning, outside, even in the garden. The lounge bench cushions no longer needed the heavy ply base and one of the seatback cushions was split in half but held together by velcro. This made for an exceptionally flexible set of sleeping arrangements. Obviously it could be made into a double by dropping the legs and pulling out the slats so they met, but also both sides could have a 2ft wide single with 2ft aisle, or both have 2ft 6ins with a 1ft aisle, or one side with 3ft and the other 2ft giving a whole set of permutations.
In our view the multi function. layout really made the van and we would always opt for such an option. Whether it affects used value or not is hard to say. If you were selling to experienced Eribaites they might well avoid the standard layout but newbies probably wouldn't understand the nuances.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Frantone likes this post!
Last edited Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:07 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:53 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

It’s each to their own. We had the multifunction seats in our Triton. The first thing we did was get rid of the centre chest to another Eriba owner and move the huge, to us unwieldy, table to the summerhouse. We leave our lounge made up permanently except for the one time we had the grandkids with us and needed the extra space. Once the bed is set up it stays that way. Now we have the Troll 530, that configuration is not an option but the end dinette is big enough to not need the big lounge. It works for us, may not be for everybody. Do what suits you, it’s your van, enjoy it and worry about the resale down the road.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:51 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi

We have the 540 with the multi-functional beds as an option ( we bought in 2016)

We absolutely love its flexibility and we have making the bed with mattress toppers sheets and pillows from scratch down to about 7 minutes. We sometimes leave the king size bed up for days but on other times we put it down each morning and use the area as a lounge.

I don't think there is a better or worse as Julie says, it is just down to personal choice. I really don't think it would have a massive effect on re-sale value as many owners are not that familiar with the multi-function option. If you are getting a great price I would go for it as it is.

Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure that you will love it

MikeT

Last edited Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:30 pm
by thebonze | 4 Posts

Hi All,

Thank you for your help and advice, its really appreciated!

We’ve decided to take the plunge and go for it, as you’re quite right, as long as we’re happy with it then thats all that matters.

Looking forward to a season of Touring!

Thanks again

Thanks

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 48 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1