Back to France

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:49 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

We haven't been back to France since 2019 and wandering what the changes are like with the customs douane when taking the van, what added docs, what food can be taken can't be taken, are they fussier now? and what can we bring back, we would hate to create a diplomatic incident

Scroll up

RE: Back to France

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

No extra paperwork is needed, but I'm sure Randa and others will fill you in on if you are taking pets.
You are supposedly not to take any meat or dairy be it fresh. frozen or tinned. I must say though that in our 2022 and 2023 travels I did not see anybody having the fridge checked. I'd say that most owners treated it as the pre Brexit norm and took a few meals and the odd contents of the fridge from home. In 2022 we took a 40L freezer full of band goods.
Your booze allowance can be found here, and I seem to recall travellers did follow the rules.
What you will not be prepared for is the cost of your crossing. Booking early I'm around the £420 return mark for this year. If I had not done so then that price could have doubled. It would be worth searching the forum on this subject. 2024 Ferry costs

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Bryn likes this post!
Last edited Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:24 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

I've been backwards and forwards a number of times in the intervening and yes, as Colin says, all the fuss over the lorry drivers ham sandwiches has calmed down now. I have noticed that attention is paid to the amount of duty free you bring back now. I always leave my stash in plain sight in the back of the car and when (if) asked state I have my allowance and say what it is. Remeber that allowances are 'per person' as quoted on the link (I suspect Colin was pointing you to..)

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-u...n-Great-Britain

Do be aware that people trying to get into vans etc is coming far too frequent, so do be aware of that. The last time I came back I was asked to open the van. I said it had been locked and in my sight throughout the journey. Apparently what can happen is that (if) people get onto the ferry under a lorry or whatever, then transfer to another (presumably more comfortable) location to get into Britain.

Bryn and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:16 am
by Bryn | 993 Posts

£600 return with a cabin each way, Plymouth -Roscoff, which is enough but !!!!!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:09 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts

Brittany ferries have got silly prices.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts

Bryn are those day or night crossings?

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

Hi, We are out at 8pm overnight and back , leaving Roscoff, at 3pm so for us,(30 mins from Plymouth,) it is the easiest route.

Islay likes this post!
Last edited Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

We used the outward bound crossing last year for the first time. Despite being small the cabin was very nice. Bunk beds were comfy and the en-suite bathroom a generous size.
While in the harbour after check in and queueing up to board, I noticed the food wagon was well frequented and customers seemed happy.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1