Sacrilege BUT

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:07 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

I've just checked Leisure First's website and it would seem that a 2018 Troll will cost you about £20k.

Well, how about a 2018 Eriba with legendary built quality, large washroom with separate shower cubicle and wardrobe. Alde heating, oven, microwave, radio, TV, 2m lounge benches, motor mover, exterior sockets etc, etc, all for £14,500. There are two for sale at that price and another for £16,500.

Not poptops but Eriba Nova's, in fact the last of the 'real' hard core Eriba Nova's, before Thor Industries canned them and went Light. Superbly built and one of Erwin's favourites and they're £6k less than the same age Touring.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

RE: Sacrilege BUT

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:52 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

An interesting post Andy and you are making a good point.

However as an ex-tenter of many decades the poptop was the very thing that made the Tourer so unique (along with a couple of other less well put together makes) and seperated it from all the BWBs. It is a caravan with some of the attributes of a tent.

Kath and I still remember the first night we spent in it on site near Dorchester. It was a hot night but a lovely gentle breeze blew in through the vents in the Poptop and we realised that we were on to a winner...................and on those difficult stormy nights when in the past you had concerns about your family tent blowing down around you, you simply fastened the Poptop down.

So whilst I don't think your feed is sacrilege and agree that the Nova could be an excellent buy for some, for devoted Poptoppers like us a Nova wouldn't hit the mark.......................

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:42 pm

I guess the only problem is weight.

IIRC in standard spec. they were 1440kg ex Bad Waldsee and could be had with 1600, 1700 or 1800kg MTPLM's.

However the ones brought in by Lowdhams were to their spec. and weighed around 1520kg with oven, TV, Alde etc (warm air was the standard heating) and they were available with either 1700kg or 1800kg.

If the 1520kg empty weight is correct then with our gear it'll weigh around 1650kg plus and even with 80kg on the hitch it would mean dragging 1570kg plus and the Karoq has a 1500kg limit.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:25 pm
by GeorgeWM | 9 Posts

I would be interested to hear if there is a reference for subtracting the hitch load from the mass of the trailer to arrive at the towed weight.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

In theory it would not effect the towed weight, but it would reduce the axle load.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:02 pm

Exactly right Colin, the hitchweight is borne by the towcar rear axle via the towbar. It therefore reduces the weight that transmits to the road via the wheels.

Last edited Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:07 pm

Effectively the hitch weight becomes part of the car's weight, so the weight the car tows is reduced. Obviously it can't be counted twice as part of the car and part of the caravan.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 pm
by Ulysses | 6 Posts

and what is the issue with Leisure First? I was looking for an Eriba 430GT for a while and checked dealers and private listings. I found what i considered to be the best option - a 2008 430GT Touring with usual spec (gas/electric boiler; gas electric heater; 3-way fridge; 3 burner hob; and shower; flyscreens and blackout blinds)

we travelled 460 miles to check it out - after a very honest video of the quality and condition of the van - and were treated to excellent customer service from Cameron of Leisure First. after a detailed inspection we decided to buy. Cameron also said he would match the lowest price on the internet for a Dometic 340 PopAir Plus awning - so we bought that as well.

so there is a market for specific Eriba models and there is a limited supply - so you pay what you think it is worth - no point throwing some what ifs in the air

HDI163, SOULBLUESMAN68 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

We bought our 540GT from Cameron in 2016 when he was a young lad at Automotive Leisure (now LF).

We were total novices and new to the world of caravans. We went to Pools and he spent 2 hours with us taking us in all the Eribas and talking about the pros & cons of everything Eriba Touiring. He was so helpful and spent time with us working out what we needed. We kept in contact over a few months and eventually ordered a new 540GT from him.

He was equally brilliant with us when we went to collect it some 6 months later. We would recommend him to anyone.

MkeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:16 am

I just mentioned LF because they are a bellwether for used Eriba Touring prices, nothing else.

The point being the comparison in used pricing between used Trolls and used Nova 2 berth vans. Novas, before they were lightened, were arguably the strongest made, best fitted out range of vans on the planet and yet the Touring range Trolls attract a £4k premium on them. That's not really logical.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:54 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

As always it’s down to supply and demand; in this case there’s more demand for the lighter, more iconic pop-tops.
Our son has just traded in his nova for a Hymer motor home and it was phenomenally well-made, but soooo heavy.

Makes more sense compared to the 620 perhaps?

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.

Last edited Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:03 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #7
Effectively the hitch weight becomes part of the car's weight, so the weight the car tows is reduced. Obviously it can't be counted twice as part of the car and part of the caravan.

I’m not sure you can use that argument for the towed weight limit as part of the car manufacturers calculations surely involve whether the car can pull the mass being towed, which is still the total weight of the van.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:05 pm

This has been discussed at length on CT and a contributor who is a retired GM car design engineer has confirmed that the noseweight of any trailer is part of the car's gross weight, transmitted to the ground by the car's rear wheels. Therefore the towable mass of the caravan does not include the noseweight which is transmitted to the ground by the caravan wheels. It follows that if you load your van to it's MTPLM, you'll be putting MTPLM minus noseweight through the van axle.
The only legalweight limitson a car are those plated limits of gross weight, train weight and the axle limit its. It is perfectly sound to tow a van as long as the train weight isn't exceeded. The only comeback a car manufacturer has, if they suspect damage has been caused by towing over their limit is to repudiate any warranty.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Andy, all makes perfect sense, but when looking at " It is perfectly sound to tow a van as long as the train weight isn't exceeded.", I seem to recall if the boys or girls in blue pull you over then it's the theoretical gross train weight that matters and not the actual. That is you could be pulling a caravan that is empty and within your GTW, but if laden would have exceeded your GTW. AS such you would be breaking the law, despite the logic saying you are not.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:41 pm

No, it's actual weight that counts legally. The enforcement officers may have their suspicions roused by plated weights but unless you actually exceed them you're totally legal.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105658 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1