Do you really need a winter cover?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

This question has come up regularly, so I thought I'd show you a few photos to help you make your mind up.

Last October I washed the van, tipped the back to help any water flow off and put on the cover. I did the straps up that go under the van and added a strap around the waist for good measure as I'm using a generic Kampa cover.
I live in Devon and it is very wet. The van is exposed as you will see in the first photo that faces west and catches the worst of the weather. We had 45/50mph winds last night, which is fairly typical. Out of view to the south face Dartmoor. The leaf fall is so bad from the trees I have to unblock the house gutters every day from late Sept to early Nov. The leaves can stain anything light in colour they fall on.
I think the photos show the benefit of the cover. The roof still has a wet look to it from the wash last Oct. I need to give a wipe to area at the back of the roof and that's it for my first few trips. It will then get a wash and polish or Bobby Dazzler before our long trip to France.

P1060221-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1060222-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1060223-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
P1060225-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1060226-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Randa france and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 pm | Scroll up

RE: Do you really need a winter cover?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:29 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Looks great Colin,
Just finished cleaning and polishing our 530 - it was covered over the winter but has been in the elements for the last 2 months. I’ve just been thinking about putting the cover on through the year but I have a feeling (just like you eh?🤣) that the sun would ruin it pretty quickly, assuming it ever stops raining!
Has anyone any experience with covers in the sun?

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 pm

I've decided that the cover will be put on when we get back from France at start of July. I will not strap it up tight, but when not being used it will be kept nice and clean, free of bird crap etc. It only takes minutes to put on/take off, but can take hours to clean. If I only get a few years out of a cover then I can live with taht.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:56 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #3
I've decided that the cover will be put on when we get back from France at start of July. I will not strap it up tight, but when not being used it will be kept nice and clean, free of bird crap etc. It only takes minutes to put on/take off, but can take hours to clean. If I only get a few years out of a cover then I can live with taht.
Colin

It will also help with UV degradation of the fibreglass roof

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:36 pm

Ah, I have one thing less to worry about now as my main roof is aluminium.

Colin

Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105660 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4