Need a hitchlock for an old one.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:54 pm
by Darren | 12 Posts

Had an email from Flux telling me I need a hitchlock to continue my insurance. My Eriba is a '74 Familia. I can see there's a huge array of locks available but does anyone know which is most suitable for this type of hitch? Thanks as always, folks.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20240415_174408.jpg 

Scroll up

RE: Need a hitchlock for an old one.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Darren, I'd get back to them with that photo and ask what they advise. The hitch is old and a good quality lock is going to be difficult to source. A better option would be a wheel clamp such as the Bulldog Euro. These are a quality product and used by many owners. We used one for about 15 years.
I'd expect you could pick up a really nice 2nd hand one for about £50 on the likes of Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree or e-bay. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/103...=Bulldog%20Euro

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Darren likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 am
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

Darren. I've been looking for the type of lock I used for many years on my trailer for camping and the nearest equivalent is this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085NHRHSN?p...265a5f2f71&th=1

If I'm reading your hitch design properly I assume that the lever on the left hand side of your hitch moves to enable the Eriba to be unhitched from the car. Therefore I would worry that a "box lock" may not have the room to cover that lever. Therefore in my opinion a lock with a ball insert and an intergral lock barrel would be best.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Darren likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:57 pm
by Darren | 12 Posts

Hi both. Thanks for the replies. Randa, I ordered one of those yesterday to give it a try. I didn't want to be spending big on something that doesn't fit. Yes, the lever on the side is awkward.
If this one is no good, I'll contact Flux to see what they say.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:57 pm
by Darren | 12 Posts

Forgot to add. I already have a wheel lock but they want both.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:08 am

Quote: Darren wrote in post #4
Hi both. Thanks for the replies. Randa, I ordered one of those yesterday to give it a try. I didn't want to be spending big on something that doesn't fit. Yes, the lever on the side is awkward.
If this one is no good, I'll contact Flux to see what they say.

I was thinking that perhaps you could thread the "U" shaped section under the handle of your tow hitch before you push the ball plate to. That should be a strong fit if it works.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Darren likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:37 pm
by Darren | 12 Posts

Well, it fits, which is good news. Whether the insurance company accept it is another matter. Anyone with a cordless angle grinder would only need about 10 seconds, but I guess that could be said of any of them.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20240417_172945.jpg 

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 pm
by Darren | 12 Posts

And yes, I desperately need to strip the paint and freshen up the whole drawbar and change the split gaiter. Bring on summer!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 am

Quote: Darren wrote in post #7
Well, it fits, which is good news. Whether the insurance company accept it is another matter. Anyone with a cordless angle grinder would only need about 10 seconds, but I guess that could be said of any of them.

Yes, that's probably true for many of them and major trailer companies like Ifor Williams have this type featured on their Security pages. A bolt cutters or a blow with a heavy hammer and chisel will do the job but if a crook really needs your van then nothing will stop him.

https://alantuertrailers.co.uk/product-category/security/

Looking at the handle on the side of your hitch, I don't think you'll get a "Box Lock" to fit.

Randa

Darren likes this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105661 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2