Caravan Insurance - advice would be appreciated.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:02 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

After being with Cover4caravans for 12 years, in 2023 I moved to Grove and Dean for a cheaper deal.

I have just had my renewal notice (due in four weeks time) and the premium has gone up from £109 last year to £277.41 for the coming year. I haven't made any claims on the policy and I note that last year's company are for some reason not quoting for renewal.

Is this sort of rise typical in the current market or am I being ripped-off after being sucked in last year?

I haven't tried the comparison websites yet but before I do I wondered if anyone can recommend cheaper alternatives?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: Caravan Insurance - advice would be appreciated.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Have a look here:- 2024 Insurance - prices gone down?
A couple of months ago I swapped back to Lifesure as Grove and Dean conditions had changed and prices went up. The result was I ended up with a higher level of insurance for a lower premium.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am

Thanks, Colin, I'll check them out.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 am
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

To us, you had a good deal last year Brian. Ours has always been somewhere in-between. We are currently with CaravanGuard which is just under the £200 mark which includes foreign travel.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am

I've just done a quick trawl with the Meerkats to get a ball park figure and using £12000 as the value, £1000 each for equipment, personal effects and awning and £150 voluntary excess (9 years NCB) the cheapest quote comes out at £109 with 'Ping' insurers. (No, me neither).

Cover4caravans website is currently down for maintenance but it looks as though I'll be able to find something at a reasonable price without too much difficulty.

I'll keep looking and report back.

Forum Administrator
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm

I've now searched with three comparison websites with the criteria/values listed above but with the addition of optional legal cover. The results are as follows:

Compare the Market.com
Ping £115.63
Adrian Flux £149.94
Peacock £154.94

Moneysupermarket.com
Insure my £134.04
Adrian Flux £156.72
Myinsurance £265.44 (excludes continental cover!)

gocompare.com
Ping £115.63
Peacock £151.94
Insure My £152.57

I also got halfway through entering my details with Cover4Caravans only to find that they require CRIS registration before they will quote so that rules them out. Towergate's quote was £284.

So it looks as though I will be able to save around £160 on my renewal quote. Not a bad result.

Forum Administrator
scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am

Do they include foreign travel Brian? They all seem very good.

This CRiS thing is getting ridiculous now.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 am

Stephen Thomas, off Eribafolk Facebook said two days ago:-
·
"Interesting letter from Saga this morning - they are pulling out of caravan insurance!
They say they will pass our details to CMC who will offer insurance on the same terms and at the same price as last year.
I used to insure with the Club, but ditched them some years ago as they had become soooo expensive. So I'd be expecting a big price hike next year."

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7
Do they include foreign travel Brian?

Yes, all include European travel except for the one indicated, Roger.

Forum Administrator
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

Be careful about cover for foreign travel. The two main underwriters, Aviva and LV, have different limits on the length of trip you can make in Europe. One has a cut off at 30 days, one much longer (can’t remember which is which!). Brokers swap underwriters regularly so it’s always worth checking.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 am

I always take out CMC Red Pennant insurance when travelling on the Continent for comprehensive vehicle, caravan and personal health cover so it's not an issue. Well worth pointing out though.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #11
I always take out CMC Red Pennant insurance when travelling on the Continent for comprehensive vehicle, caravan and personal health cover so it's not an issue. Well worth pointing out though.

We did ours yesterday Brian.. Around £280 for full cover, personal, car and Eriba with a rescue to home policy for 45 days. 2 adults and a cat.
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am
by Crystal | 245 Posts

European cover on caravan insurance covers theft. Don't think Red Pennant covers that if your van is nicked?

1999 Eriba Troll
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 am
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

As above

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5