fly screen for canvas vents

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm
by Mountaindreamer | 4 Posts

20240429_131407.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Hi,

I'm off to Scotland in June with our Puck 230GT, and I'm wondering about the fly screens on the vents I have and whether they are midge proof! One has to be replaced anyway , but I'm wondering if the fly screens are original or installed by the previous owner, they look more like anti slip matting than fly screen, and are stuck to some binding on the canvas...i've added a photo....any thoughts?

Last edited Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm | Scroll up

RE: fly screen for canvas vents

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:04 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Hard to tell from a photo but that does look like quite big holes rather than a fine mesh. They’re all stuck on with Velcro so that’s not a help to identify if they’re aftermarket. Our original ones had a white (ish) Velcro on them though.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Mountaindreamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 pm

Thanks, I don't think there is velcro on them just some soft sticky glue!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:31 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I would double check as I think they came out of the factory with a narrow strip of velcro. Edit.. the original netting went all around the roof like a skirt. I think replacement canvas just has a triangle over the vent.

Last edited Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:34 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Hi and welcome to Eribafolk
That mesh doesn't look right. The holes are far too big. On older vans like ours, a full net curtain was fitted all around the inside of the roof canvan and was velcroed all around the inside of the roof and weighted and tucked in at the bottom. It has to be lifted to open the triangular vents before being tucked in again.
Mrs R washed ours yesterday and says that compared with your vent we have a very fine holed net curtain.

On more modern vans like yours, the mesh triangle is velcroed beneath the zipped canvas triangle but again, the mesh is very fine.

I can't find a photo of a pre 2010 van as you're must be but see below two screen grabs I've taken from a video of a new 2024 van, showing the vent open and shut with the mesh fitted.

net 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)net 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 and Mountaindreamer like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:45 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 pm

Yep, I can see now, there is athin strip of white velcro. The white 'fly screen' is glued to a black strip of velcro to attach the strip already sewn into the canvas. Still unsure if the screen i have are original, but my guess is they are not and need improving.

Last edited Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:35 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

A simple, quick solution bearing in mind your time scale would be to purchase some fine net and stitch it over what you've got already. I assume your existing triangle can be removed?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:35 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:44 pm

yes, I think its just velcro, so can pull away from canvas. thanks that's good idea.

Craig and Julie; Puck 230GT pulled by Mercedes B Class
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 01, 2024 7:52 am
by Islay | 220 Posts

You can get some fine mesh from any fabric shop and make your own.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 05, 2024 1:56 pm
by zate24 | 18 Posts

Hi, We are off to the Isle of Lewis this month with our Puck. Last year we did Dumfries and Galloway and I can certainly tell you that the fly screens ARE NOT Midge proof. The little blighters were queueing up to get in one night, and by morning the Puck had plenty of them on the inside of the windows when I drew back the curtains. This time I will not be leaving the vents open at night unless I can use some midge proof netting on the inside of the vent, how I would fix it has yet to be looked at !! Hopefully being May and on an island they might not be too bad, they don't like any wind above 5 mph I read. I also have some insect repellent for fabric that I will be using around the vents in the hope that they might pass me by !!

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 05, 2024 10:26 pm
by Allypete | 31 Posts

It’s a relatively easy fix if the triangles are removable. I did this on a 2009 Familia 320 where the fly mesh was ripped. I have some spare ultrafine mesh left over which will definitely be midge proof. Use the old triangles as templates and make some new ones with new velcro. You’ll just need to buy enough Velcro (hook or loop - I can’t remember which) about 1/2 inch wide to do all the triangles. You leave the Velcro on the canvas attached (hoping it’s in reasonable condition). Either buy glue on or (better) stitch on the Velcro to the mesh with a sewing machine if you have access to one.

Message me if.you want the mesh (with how much you want) and we can sort it out with postage etc.

Familia 320 2009, Citroen C4 Picasso 2.0L Diesel. On the bright side, we've ordered a new Troll 540 for 2024.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 3 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1