Eribas and mountain passes.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 am
by Clippie (deleted)

Some of you might remember from our Gloucestershire get together, that Blue Yonder and I were heading of to Europe with our Silver Ladies. Well we are here enjoying the Swiss rain in the Alps above Sion. We are, at the end of the week heading for lake Iseo in Italy. This is nothing new for us and normally we enjoy exploring the different passes that takes us out of Swizterland into Itally. However this time it has just occurred to me that we now have our Eriba Triton trailing on the back, and we are not that experienced at towing here. Therefore I think some planning needs to be done, and advice sort from those who have the knowledge about Alpine passes and caravans. We do not really want to use Tunnels like Grd St Bernards. Has anybody got expiriance of such and can give us novices some advice please?

Scroll up

RE: Eribas and mountain passes.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 am
by hob (deleted)

This is all going to sound terribly obvious but you need to remember that you have behind you somewhere around 800 to 1000 Kg of unpowered extra weight which needs pulling uphill so more power needed than normal ie you will most likely need to change down more than you used to.
Also down hill it will be trying to push you downhill a bit faster than you may be used to so think about braking a little earlier than you are used to.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Zitat
Rain - Sion ?

Well what do you expect if you go to a place with a Welsh Name? Now as one Welshman to another, we are allowed to share that joke. To the others, just let them keep drinking our water.....
We haven't had any experience of towing an Eriba in the Alps, only in the Pyrenees. Obviously the biggest problems are the constant hairpin bends and loose gravel surfaces.
I remember our discussion at Gloucester where you admitted that your T5 was a bit light on the front end. We have the same problem with the Touran (especially with all the "stuff" we carry in the back).
The only advice we can give is to keep it slow and low despite the queue behind thus avoiding the sudden de-acceleration on bends. Read the road ahead and get into that low gear before you arrive at the bend and look ahead (or get your co-pilot to do so). If there's nothing coming down in the other direction, try to cut the corner a little unless it's too steep, to avoid much of that loose gravel. Also constantly read the road behind for that idiot who'll always want to pass you at the most ridiculous place imaginable.
Going down the other side? Knock it out of gear and fly at 32 feet per second per second ...... No, not really............
As for suggested routes, sorry but the only way we've crossed is either by tunnel or via Austria and Innsbruck.
Have fun...
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:31 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Not really much to add to what the others have already said other than ........don't even think about it. The Alps are our back yard and we're to be found somewhere aloft at least once a month either with our motorbikes or with the car (seldom). Whilst the passes can be extremely scenic you will need high and sustained concentration levels due to the numerous curves (often with adverse cambers) which is why they are much loved by motorcyclists, but they can also be quite narrow in places that you would ideally like them to be wide hence bikers and sports car drivers attempting to ride/drive a straight line through the curves (as would a proper racer) which often results in you suddenly being faced with oncoming traffic.

On the ascent the air naturally gets thinner putting additional strain on your cooling system in an attempt to keep the system at normal temperatures. And remember, you'll be pulling a load for killometre after kilometre in low gear and often in first gear on very tight bends and you'll then struggle to get up the gearbox afterwards. The descent in many ways can be much worse because you'll be forever on the brakes.

Although I've seen the odd motorhome climbing over the passes from time to time I can't ever recall seeing a caravan being towed so maybe you can read something into that. There are of course many alternative and equally scenic routes through the valley's which may add a few kilometres to your overall journey but far better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I've never done it myself towing a caravan so Deeps' advice is appreciated.

One additional thing to watch out for - cyclists! Going uphill you can be stuck behind them for ages and when they are descending they use all the road at ridiculous speeds. I'd avoid them if possible and use easier routes. You can always explore the mountains in the tow car without the van.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:33 am
by Agger (deleted)

I have to be honest I've done lots of them including Grossglockner and Stelvio but with a bigger van. I agree with a lot of the comments on here, however it's also those roads that ar'nt necessarily classed as passes that can catch you out. The road from Mittenwald into Innsbruck is really steep, and even with a 2.5 ltr diesel shogun in 1st gear (selected at the top) towing a large german van, we experienced brake fade immediately, l I began to have concerns, so I pulled the car handbrake on as well, we stopped, and I selected low ratio, which was fine, but you won't have that option!

If you find yourselves having to do hairpins you will need to be aware of the step up / down between entering / leaving the bend, this can be considerable. Just last month in Boscastle, as you climb out towards Tintagel, there was a tow vehicle with a van "grounded" because he had neglected to allow for this.

Select low gear early, keep your revs reasonable, use your engine to brake, make stops where safe to do so, and pre plan.

Enjoy yourselves and do what you want to do, we did and would do it again! I'm not critisising any of the above advice at all, it's all pertinent, but your only here once, so enjoy it. Take the advice applicable to you and enjoy yourselves

The photo was taken at the top of Grossglockner and we stayed at a campsite in Heiligenblut on the way down.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20140722_190903.jpg 

Last edited Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Now come on, Agger, be honest - you're not actually classifying the Großglockner as a mountain pass are you? Ok, in theory it is and in winter the snow can be as high as a house which makes sense really considering it's Austria's highest mountain. In reality though, and whilst it's much loved by motorcyclists, there's nothing about the road that would even test a 90 year old lady riding a push bike let alone pulling a caravan. That said, I'll leave others to pass final judgement and here's a video I made of most of the road starting from the Heiligenblut hotel and running south to north.

Now the Tende Pass might be another story of course.

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:08 pm
by Agger (deleted)

There are plenty of passes like Grossglockner and many others single track with passing places, i never intimated they were all like it, thats your opinion what I was saying and thought I made clear was they should gleanthe information and do what suits them, I'm not getting into a passing contest

Like to wax and have a smooth finish
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:24 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Whoa old son, time to climb off that Donkey and drink your milk. My post wasn't supposed to be critical of anything you said but simply adding to the general thread.

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:45 pm
by hob (deleted)

Which camera do you use Deeps? I was looking at this earlier

1080p Digital Dashboard Camera at Lidl £39.99

Yours seems to work really well.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #10
Which camera do you use Deeps?

In fact I have two cameras - the original Drift 170 and the more recent and slightly smaller, Drift Ghost. http://driftinnovation.com/drift-ghost/

As is obvious from the videos I posted, I either have these fitted on the top of my helmet or to various points of the motorbike frame if say I want to get a low down road shot.

Here's a short video I shot one day testing the camera in various positions on the motorbike. A nice steady ride circling around the area where we live - in fact our house can be seen at minute 6:14.

For in-car video footage I usually have a camera fitted to the head restraint supports (uprights) of the middle row of seats. Back seats in most cars but my Touran is a 7-seater hence the additional row.

The quality of footage I would say is about 200% better than what finally appears on YouTube due to the compression algorythms used by them. So pleased am I with the 1080p HD footage that I actually shot my own wedding by setting them both up on tripods placed to create different perspectives of the ceremony. Once the cameras were rolling I clapped my hands so that later I was able to use the sharp spikes on the audio tracks to sync the two videos in my editing programme (Sony Vegas Pro) and then cut and splice to create the final video. This is essentially the principal of the old clapperboard that you see being used in movies.

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 am
by Clippie (deleted)

Thanks all for your replies and advice. Novice caravaners we might be but thankfully we have spent some years pushing Valerie over mountain pass so we know only to well the behaviours of other drivers and road users. I take note of all you comments with regards to how the train can possibly behave and will do some careful planning.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm
by Agger (deleted)

A long time ago very early 70's I was in Osnabruck West Germany, in the Corps of Royal Engineers. We had regular briefings about the soviet threat and were told that lots of European bridges had enlarged manholes at either end, this was so the bridges could be blown up in case of invasion.

A small team of us were tasked to spend 7 months in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Luxembourg. Our task was to evaluate what would be needed to effect a temporary repair should the bridges need to be blown. We spent our time living in various hotels etc. We criss crossed mountains on foot, by motorbike and by civilian Land Rovers. A team of cartographers from 42 Survey RE joined us for accurate measurements and map fixes etc.

We made our recommendations and these were accepted by NATO heirarchy (despite non membership by some countries)

A few years later I was at Long Marston near Stratford upon Avon and saw 360 bridge sets destined for those countries and to allow overbridging to take place.

As young guys we had a blast, no Eriba's but plenty of passes

Like to wax and have a smooth finish
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5