RE: Tom Tom Satnav Advice please...

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:51 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Decisions, decisions The difficulty is that I've not experienced any satnav other than the one we've got and considering Deeps' comments

Zitat
"I had the loan of a Touran last year whilst mine was in for repair and it came with one of these built-in jobbies which also gave a reading on the instrument display. Got to say that I was pretty much taken with it - found the count down to junctions etc and other bits and pieces very nice and to be quite honest, in your position I'd probably opt for the map update for it"

I'll have to think hard. If we were very well off then I suppose we'd just update what we have or perhaps we should just go for the 2012 Spain/Portugal and live with it. I don't know. Let's sleep on it.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:05 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

I use my tom tom go70, 8 years old, a years updates £22, the biggest problem is the weight, it is nearly as heavy as the famillia

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:58 am
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

[quote="Poptop320"|p11593]I have a Tom Tom like the first one and is great and very easy to use and it tells you which lane to get into when on a motorway, the only problem I find with satnav systems is when your dragging the Eriba, it will try and take you down some narrow lanes. I would be tempted to go for a dedicated caravan one next time but they are expensive.

We have a Garmin and find if you set it to the "quickest" not "shortest' mode, it stops taking you down the small lanes. Ours does Europe and America/Canada and loved it when we were in Canada and it said "after 430 miles, turn left"!!! would never see that here.

Chris

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:54 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Yes Chris, we had never bought one until I saw a stand at the NEC couple of years back and the Ventura Snooper had a car+caravan system built in so we paid the extra cash for it. Been well worth it and now getting morereliant on it.

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

]

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #19
Yes Chris, we had never bought one until I saw a stand at the NEC couple of years back and the Ventura Snooper had a car+caravan system built in so we paid the extra cash for it. Been well worth it and now getting more reliant on it.

How have you found the Ventura Snooper, has it been reliable with the info regarding not sending you down narrow roads? I'm tempted in the near future to upgrade to one to avoid any dramas...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:09 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #4
I bought a similar tomtom to the first picture a couple of years ago with free lifetime updates
To claim the updates I had to send a photo of the till receipt to them to prove I was the original purchaser............so don't throw it away on the way out of the shop.

Updates are indeed free but be aware that they are downloaded direct to the unit so it needs to be plugged into a pc that is online

Also you need a good connection as the download file is several Gbt in size (about 4 Gbt if I recall right) so will take a long time to update
Speed camera position updates are not included in the free updates and are sold separately

Maps are very accurate in the UK .............. I can't comment about the rest of Europe.

Further information .................a recent update of my Europe map took approx 2 1\2 hours ..............about an hour to download and 1 1\2 hours to install .................as I said a Europe wide map is a big file ...............around 4 Ggb..................

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:55 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Very reliable PopTop, worth the extra in our opinion

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3