Tom Tom Satnav Advice please...

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:59 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

What do others think of these? They are currently on offer at Halfords at the moment and I'm tempted to purchase the 1st one at less than £80. However there are so many different models of Tom Tom to choose from. Do you know how detailed the European mapping is and is it adequate?

sat nav.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sat nav a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We have a built in RNS 310 Navigation System but the current GB and French mapping we have on board is out of date and is a ridiculous price to update and extend. For example, a 2012 Spain/Portugal map is priced at £42. ( I think 2014 would cost about £120).
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 am | Scroll up

RE: Tom Tom Satnav Advice please...

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Sorry Roger no advice. We have a Ventura Snooper which was bought 3 yrs ago at the NEC show. Expensive but we like it - now.. Good luck.

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:17 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Go for the bigger screen.........your headmaster's threats have come true!

Troll gently nudging up against a Galaxy.
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:20 am
by hob (deleted)

I bought a similar tomtom to the first picture a couple of years ago with free lifetime updates
To claim the updates I had to send a photo of the till receipt to them to prove I was the original purchaser............so don't throw it away on the way out of the shop.

Updates are indeed free but be aware that they are downloaded direct to the unit so it needs to be plugged into a pc that is online

Also you need a good connection as the download file is several Gbt in size (about 4 Gbt if I recall right) so will take a long time to update
Speed camera position updates are not included in the free updates and are sold separately

Maps are very accurate in the UK .............. I can't comment about the rest of Europe.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:40 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Thanks Nev. Good feedback

Zitat
Quote Frantone:- Go for the bigger screen.........your headmaster's threats have come true!

Our current system has a directional readout on the dashboard as well as the 5" screen so I rarely look at the screen. I leave that to Mrs R. Therefore if we do go for a Tom Tom, I'm not anticipating sticking it on the front window. I'm assuming Mrs R will have it resting on her road atlas unless it won't get a signal there.
However, I wonder how many they'll sell with a comment like this :- ".....satnav won't solve all your problems. It will however stop you losing your wick with the inadequate map reader to your left...".
We probably won't be getting one once she reads this because Mrs R is a very very good navigator and only needs the satnav to back up her own directions taken from the atlas. And I know, 'coz she frequently tells me so...
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 am
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
I'm not anticipating sticking it on the front window.

I found that the sucker thing kept falling off the window ........................specially in hot weather so this year while I was away I bought a heavy rubberised pad that sits on the dashboard which works well and is easy to just pick up and put in the passenger foot-well away from prying eyes and stops it cooking in the heat on sunny days..................also stops the telltale ring on the window that thieves look for.
it only fell off the dash once so far when going round a roundabout at a good speed .

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:19 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I have a Tom Tom like the first one and is great and very easy to use and it tells you which lane to get into when on a motorway, the only problem I find with satnav systems is when your dragging the Eriba, it will try and take you down some narrow lanes. I would be tempted to go for a dedicated caravan one next time but they are expensive.

http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/snooper-s...edition-sat-nav

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

I've always used a Garmin GPS either on the motorbike (a Zumo 660) or in the car with the latest being a nuvi 3597LMT EU - a beautifully light model with a clear and bright touch screen. Garmins best model to date in my opinion. And even better, you don't have to touch it as it recognised your voice and the instructions you give it - brilliant. That said, it does cost a bit more than 80 big ones LOL.

As regards maps - to the best of my knowledge all maps are produced by NavTeq, a subsidary of Garmin so shouldn't be much difference across different GPS units.

One word of caution though - purchase a relatively new model because if you read the small print on the Lifetime updates. These are available up to 4 times a year...........note 'up to' which means you may well get less. Another condition is that the updates are available during the lifetime of the unit itself and what this means is when the manufacturer releases a new model and deems your unit to be at the end of it's life so to speak, that's it - no more updates.

I had the loan of a Touran last year whilst mine was in for repair and it came with one of these built-in jobbies which also gave a reading on the instrument display. Got to say that I was pretty much taken with it - found the count down to junctions etc and other bits and pieces very nice and to be quite honest, in your position I'd probably opt for the map update for it.

Edit - if you do go for a standalone unit I'm sure that TomTom have their own mapping programming that you can download to the computer much in the same way that Garmin have BaseCamp. I can't remember the last time I actually input an address into the GPS because most place I frequent often I already know where they are. On the other hand, for the past few months I've been working on routes (36) for our upcoming trip to the UK and have now downloaded them to the SD card of my unit. This way I can be sure that I am travelling on the roads that I want to, stopping at points of interest that I want to see blah blah and not travel the roads that Garmin think I should be travelling on. For holiday planning this is by far the best way of using a GPS in my opinion.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:08 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:34 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

We've got a Garmin that can be useful to get to specific locations such as postcodes but I ignore the thing when towing the Eriba and stick to main roads as, as previously commented, it would get us into serious trouble if we we took its advice.

'Updates for life' means the life of the unit and not your lifetime.

My system doesn't give lane changing guidance but I think that would be an advantage.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I'm old skool on this, we have it in our current car (which we've had for just over a year) I don't need it, to find Barcelona or Leeds! What I need it for is final dedtination guidance, I have it on all the time and can zoom in and out etc. I've been used to traversing Europe since the very early 70's and have built up quute a good sense of direction. I never listen to "her" (I have voice turned off) when we are towing, I know where I'm going and have never not managed to get there. I do however like the reassurance they give. Updates at just under £400 for me this won't be happening on my watch.

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:04 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

You have to update your watch?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:09 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #11
You have to update your watch?

Actually, I can but hav'nt done it for a while, I don't have one of them old fangled pc's or laptop, so I might have an update to load, who knows! who cares!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:09 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Agger may have to - Summer/Winter time ?????

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:11 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Ribski wrote in post #13
Agger may have to - Summer/Winter time ?????

No, it's also a heart rate monitor etc, and occasionally they release updates

Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

if you do get a tom tom make sure it has free updates for life, qvc had them on offer with the life time updates and a few extras http://www.qvcuk.com/CatalogSearch?langI...tom+tom&x=0&y=0 they have a 30 money back if cant get on with item
the Australian voice is so funny hehehe oh uses his and the folk always break out into a giggle.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:33 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3