What's your opinion?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Tyre Pressure Monitoring

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:03 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

its got a rather inflated price

but safety wise if your worried and cannot see tyres in mirrors, an option while in motion.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:16 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I keep a small digital tyre pressure reader in the car door pocket, I do check regularly both car and caravan (even when it's hibernating😊☺) I can see the Eriba tyres when towing as pop540 says it could be of use if you can't see them or even check them. It is getting more and more difficult to check pressures accurately, we have 5 local garages and only at 1 was the tyre pressure equipment working, that was last Friday, I think😎🚘

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Roger, they put this in bold type at the head of their advertisement:-

tyre pressures are particularly important as you can’t get any feel for what your tyres are doing whilst you are driving.

and the emphasis surely is on that you can't get any feel for what your tyres are doing. In that respect, if you're of worrying disposition LOL then a tyre monitoring device can't be a bad thing as a simple look in the rear view mirrors is only good enough to tell you if the tyre is still inflated NOT that the tyre pressures are OK.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:26 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

I suppose I do only the same amount of worrying as others on here. I was more interested in the technology. They claim that this type of system has been used in road haulage for some time now.
£135 doesn't seem to be a large amount to pay if it's as good as it claims to be and it appears to be a doddle to fit. What I can't get past though, is that the sensors replace the dust caps and are therefore on the outside of the tyre valve. So to be able to measure and monitor the pressure, the devices must surely take over from the valve. That worries me for some reason.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:43 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I have this on my car🚘 I have to set the tyre pressures when cold and then turn the monitoring system on, once on it stays on until you either disarm it or it warns you of a change in the set tyre pressure. When I first bought the car we suffered 2 punctures within 6 weeks😠 we have run flat tyres which are made by Continental, on the second deflation, the car was sat on the drive (at the back of the house, behind a gate and watched by cctv) no exterior interference. In the morning the tyre was flat😠 and would not accept air either from my emergency bottle or the BMW repair man's truck😢. This was due to the reinforced sidewalls (necessary for run flats) had broken the air tight seal with the rim. I had it sorted within an hour by BMW so I was happy😆in the end.

Run flats are fine and most cars running them have a tyre pressure monitoring system BUT you still need to check your tyres pressure and general state.

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:56 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #5
What I can't get past though, is that the sensors replace the dust caps and are therefore on the outside of the tyre valve. So to be able to measure and monitor the pressure, the devices must surely take over from the valve. That worries me for some reason.
Randa

I think the technology is well proven otherwise they wouldn't get type approval and any subsequent issues with the things (tyres & pressures are after all a major safety issue) we'd have heard something by now.

It sounds very much as though what you have in mind is referred to as a Direct TPMS whereas my Touran, and yours too probably, is referred to as an Indirect TPMS. This system works by measuring individual wheel rotation speeds (a lower pressure tyre will have a smaller circumference) and the give-away is that the system automatically sets once a certain calibration distance has been travelled. You can always press the internal switch of course to set the system manually once you've pumped up the tyres.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:32 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

That reminds me of my old 1978 mini 1275GT, they had run flat Dunlop Denovo tyres, they were rock hard and even when they were flat you could still stand on the rim without them losing their shape, unfortunately they were forever losing air.... I changed them out in the end for some standard wheel/ tryes.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2