Nose Weight question

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:08 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Hello,

I have a 310 (fixed bed) which I will be pulling with my Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6D. I sort of grasp the concept of nose weight, but do not have a way of measuring it at the moment and we are off for a short distance trip tomorrow. Need I concern myself too much?
I have the two gas bottles in the front compartment (Calor Lite) and a few lightweight pans stored in the front roof cupboards inside. In the front floor locker, under the seat, there is a kettle and small heater (plus one or two small items). In the back under the bed resides the leisure battery. Apart from that, the only other things inside the van are a few melamine plates and cups, plus towels and toiletries scattered throughout the cupboards. Oh yes, and an assortment of things in the knife drawer and a couple of buckets in the wardrobe.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,
Philip.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

RE: Nose Weight question

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I measure mine by my ability to "feel" the weight of the drawbar I realise for some this is a no go due to healths concerns, but it has always worked for me

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Without a weight measurement we're really stumbling around in the dark.
The risks are:
If it's too nose heavy then you could be straining the hitch and your tow bar attachments as well as affecting stability.
If it's too nose light then stability will be poor as the van could be 'skittish'.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:23 pm
by hob (deleted)

A piece of wood cut to length and some bathroom scales will give you some idea

The aim as a rough guide is 50 to 60 kg ..........25 kg is considered a bare minimum

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:33 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: PhilipM wrote in post #1
...but do not have a way of measuring it at the moment and we are off for a short distance trip tomorrow. Need I concern myself too much?
Yep, you should.

Measuring it doesn't require much in the way of equipment or expense.

Arm yourself with a set of bathroom scales (you can buy them at Argos or Boots for a fiver if you're disinclined to use the fancy ones in the bathroom) and a short length of broom handle or something similar. You determine the length required by measuring from the bottom of the tow hitch cup to the ground directly beneath it - with the van level - less the thickness of the bathroom scales. You might want to take into account the thickness of two three-inch (or so) square pads, one of which is nailed or screwed to each end of the stick. Scrap ply is ideal pad material.

A bit like a wooden dumbbell with flat ends.

Put the scales on the ground under the hitch, wind the jockey down sufficiently to be able to stand your dumbbell on the scales under the hitch cup, and wind the jockey up until the scales are taking all the weight.

You should aim for something in the region of 50-60 kilos.

Move stuff around in the van to get it right if it's wrong. Then all you have to do for future trips is remember what went where.

and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:32 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Getting the nose weight right, the distribution of items and the tyres at the correct pressure will make the difference from a stressful tow to a pleasurable tow.
This little video will help

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:35 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will attempt to measure the weight before setting off tomorrow. We're only venturing about 20 miles from home for this test run, but I'd like everything to be right and go smoothly.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:07 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

I used the scales and wood trick and the reading was 59kg. Thanks.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3