Dog crates

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Has anyone ever seen or used one of these http://www.ferplast.com/uk/shop/dogs-sup...ion-extra-large ?

I know the base will fit the boot of my car but they don't give the size of the top and therefore you can't work out whether it will fit. Obviously it's slanted front and back and our seat backs are slanted, but is it the same angle? Will the crate be pushed rearwards because the angles are different? Will the crate obstruct the boot door when I try to close it? None of these questions are addressed in the ad or any other I've seen by retailers selling these.

We'd have to go for the Extra Large size and there should be enough room for our beardies to stand up, stretch out or curl up, which would leave our back seat clear for caravan or dog show gear. Retailers are happy to send one but not happy to pay return carriage if it won't fit.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

RE: Dog crates

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:45 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Can't you ring them up and ask them for all the dimensions?

That way you can knock up a couple of flat templates out of cardboard to see if it'll fit.

Last edited Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:46 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Not really big enough for two beardies I'm afraid. Our custom-made crate which we had in the Transit was 4ft 3ins wide by 2ft deep and 2ft 3ins high. That meant each dog had a bit more than 4ft square floorspace. The Amazon crate has a 4.2 sq ft floorspace, which is fine for one dog but not enough for two I'm afraid.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:26 pm

As for phoning them, the factory is in Italy and they don't appear to have a UK distributor. The few stockist are online retailers and the nearest is over 100 miles away.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:05 am
by ellen (deleted)

Hi Andy. We always buy our crates from Crofts at Chorley. You can visit their small showroom and they are happy to let you try their crates in your car. If they don't have what you need then I am sure they can make on to suit. Hope this helps. Ellen.

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #5
As for phoning them, the factory is in Italy...
If you aren't comfortable calling Italy - though Italians seem to be quite an affable lot - you can always e-mail them a simple diagram of the item in question with the dimensions you need marked on it.

You need to think out of the crate...

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Moi ne pas parliamo Italiano.

I did email them in Italy a month or so ago and got nix respondo - Whatever.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:02 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

When you refer to the dog crate Andy, are you referring to one or two? Obviously the one you are asking about http://www.ferplast.com/uk/shop/dogs-sup...ion-extra-large is a dog semi but when you had your camper van was it one big crate with a partition or two smaller ones?
Why I'm interested is that when we used to travel with the cats we used two of these and although we only carried one erected in the back of the car (the other being flat packed) the fact that they were folding was very useful and I daresay that if we had needed both erected in the car at one time, with a bit of shuffling (put one if first, push it far forward, then put the 2nd one in and bring the first one back to it) then it would probably have worked. (wouldn't have got anything else in the back however )
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:06 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:13 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

why put the dogs in the boot? always wondered
would placing a cage or 2 on the back seat (secured) be better, and putting all the trolleys ect in the boot?
thinking the worse case scenario of rear end bump.. more room on rear seat...

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Mmm, we've tried two beardies in the big canvas crate that Jack uses on the collapsed back seat at present. Whilst they could both get in, there was a lot of growling and it looked like an overfull sack of potatoes, certainly not comfortable for them. I don't think they make a bigger size crate and in any case the current one has to be erected in the car as it won't fit through the door when 'up'.
Put it this way, the floor area of the big crate is 6sq ft, the floor area of the smaller crate we use in the boot is 4.6sq ft, and the custom-made two dog crate we used in out Transit has a floor area of 8.5sq ft, or 4.25sq ft per dog. Using the big crate for two dogs only allows them 3 sq ft each, which isn't enough.
My idea was to use two 22ins by 36ins crates side by side which would give each dog 5.6sq ft. The Ferplast crate has a floor area of 8.8sq ft, or 4.4 sqft each which would mean we free up the rear seat.

The issue is whether the shape of the Ferplast will allow its upper structure to fit in our car's boot. Having had a careful measure this morning it still seems too close to call.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:56 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:59 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Or I can highly recommend these as I had one made to measure and found the excellent and rattle free
http://www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk

By the way they are dog crates very misleading name for a company

I also use Crofts for showing and packing flat.

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:03 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:52 pm

The sloped front ones look good value but are 4sq ft or 4.9sq ft, both of which would be OK for a single beardie, but no good for two, which is what we're trying to achieve.

The Hamster Dog Pods look good value for a made to measure solution, although I guess you need to be sure you're going to keep the car before buying.

We still have the Barjo two dog crate from our Transit campervan folded up in the garage, we sold the van six years ago. It's been advertised on Preloved for months.

Last edited Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:12 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:17 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

You should advertise it on some of the dog forum sites rather than Preloved or dog class. What sizes is the Barjo as I may know someone who may be interested ad where are you based?

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2