RE: Dog crates

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:07 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Full details are on the ad Taffy http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/1...ransit-van.html

We're just south of Crewe about 5 miles from both J16 and J15 of the M6

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:10 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Hi, passed this onto a friend and a shame it won't fit the width of their van. Hope you have some luck soon. Advertise it on some of the show forums. Have you contacted bargo to ask about a swap as they may do a part ex and advertise it to their enquiries. Good luck

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 pm

This afternoon I called in at a relatively local pet food emporium. Happily they stock Ferplast car crates and even had one of the very big ones on display. We carried it out to my car and I was sad to see that the rear top edge stuck out by about 2ins. There is no way the boot lid would close. Looking at them they were an ideal size for two beardies, just not in my car. The next size down easily fitted in the car but were just too small. Ideal for one beardie, no good for two.

So do I change the car to fit the crate or carry on as before with no way of fitting a grooming trolley in the car as well as the dogs?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:59 pm

I've asked Barjo about a part exchange, but so far their response has been a bit confusing. As far as I can tell they do offer to reduce the price of a new crate by 25% of the value of the original crate. Now I don't know what they charged the campervan converter for our crate in 2006, so I've no idea what 25% would be. I do know a crate for my car would be £495 and if the Transit crate cost £1,000, then there'd be a £250 reduction, making a new crate cost £235 which is probably a good deal. We'll wait and see what they say.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Zitat
sad to see that the rear top edge stuck out by about 2ins

No way of altering it yourself?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:11 am

It's a large vacuum moulded plastic crate in two halves. A tray type base and a larger top that clip together, short of getting the mould altered just for us there's no way of altering it.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:59 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

I see. When you said the rear top edge stuck our by about 2", I thought that perhaps we were looking at a steel mesh construction at that point.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:36 am

The beauty of the plastic crate was that it has a large enough floor area for the two dogs and the front and rear surfaces slope slightly to allow for the angle of the rear seat back and the bootlid hatch. Whilst the floor area easily fits inside the Kia's boot, the angle of the hatch is too much and leaves the top edge of the crate obstructing the bootlid. It needs a car with an almost vertical bootlid, like a Volvo V70 or a Disco. That then gets back to money and I'd prefer a car with some warranty left in case I choose a lemon. At my price range that rather restricts to the 5 year warranties of Hyundai or Toyota or the Kia seven year.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:28 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

why not go to diy place buy the grills, bend to shape and get someone to weld together?. might be the cheapest option.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:26 am
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Just a thought - www.doghealth.co.uk - Double 3 door Car Cage Sloped : gyc03PT/4PT. We have one of these (probably the larger one) which fits nicely in the back of the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Beardies look rather larger than the Teckels, though. I can't tell from the google pictures (very furry dogs!)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:54 am

Good thought, thank you, but a 3ft by 2ft crate only gives 3sq ft per dog floorspace and beardies need at least 4sq ft each. That's why the Ferplast is such a good option as it's 3ft 3ins wide by 2ft 8ins which works out as 4.3sq ft each.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:31 am
by MCINND (deleted)

I have two of these for my two working cockers.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?d...773&pf_id=57844
They can both get into one at a squeeze but prefer to have two up in the back of the Hyundai.
Also when not in use fold flat.
David

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4