Caravan weights

in We've got it down to a T Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:29 pm
by TheHighlanders (deleted)

I have a 1997 Puck 120 and on the plate near the door, it indicates a MAXIMUM weight of 600 kgs.
How do I work out the unladen weight so I will know how much I can load in?
Most sites I visit give different weights depending on year.
Joe.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Caravan weights

in We've got it down to a T Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:57 pm
by hob (deleted)

If you have a weighbridge nearby that would solve your problem.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:19 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Hi Joe. I wonder if Morphy can help you? he has a Puck just a little newer than yours so he might have the answer. He's normally on here quite a lot or perhaps you could PM him and ask the question?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:35 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: TheHighlanders wrote in post #1
IMost sites I visit give different weights depending on year.

Well, most sites offering different weights might well be correct but that's not really the answer you should be looking for - it's the unladen weight of your particular van that you should be after accurately ascertaining and the most reliable method for achieving this is as hob has already suggested - putting it on a weight bridge. The weight of two seemingly identical vans will never be the same and it could be the case that parts have been added or replaced by the previous owner or dealer. For example - our 2013 Triton 430 was rated at 840kg empty weight but this figure applies to standard specification. The dealer then added fly screens to doors and windows and various other bits and pieces leaving me with absolutely no idea of what the true empty weight was only the maxiumum allowed which is 1200kg.
So off to a local weigh bridge I trundled and discovered that the vans true empty weight is 920kg which of course leaves the wife with a 280kg allowance to pack in everything including the kitchen sink lol.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks everyone. I think there's a weighbridge in Inverness. I'll investigate, and let you know the result.
Joe

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Had my van weighed at our local grain store. The plate on the van states max weight of 600Kg. Van with minimal extras came out at 580 Kg!! 20 kg spare isn't a lot ! Looks like the awning etc will have to go in the car. If I hadn't had it weighed, I would have been Illegal, I'm sure.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh that's interesting. It makes you think, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:00 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: TheHighlanders wrote in post #6
Had my van weighed at our local grain store. The plate on the van states max weight of 600Kg. Van with minimal extras came out at 580 Kg!! 20 kg spare isn't a lot ! Looks like the awning etc will have to go in the car. If I hadn't had it weighed, I would have been Illegal, I'm sure.

It looks like you will be touring in just your underpants....
My old Puck was the same it just had 500kg on the plate

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:54 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

It's an issue that all Eribaists need to be aware of.
The MIRO quoted in the brochures is for a very, very spartanly fitted van. UK dealers especially tend to add substantially to that spec., thereby substantially reducing the available payload. At first glance a Touring looks to have lots of payload available, but check out the Hymer price list with options and their associated weights to see how much more has been added to your van.
Things like: spare wheel and carrier, battery and charging electrics, boiler and associated piping, shower gear, insect screen, even metal sprung seating instead of standard foam rubber. You'll normally find that massive payload has reduced to the same as a 'normal' van. So be v careful how you load as you may not have as much leeway as you think.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Aaron Calder and Keith and Sue like this post!
Last edited Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:08 am

Zitat
Quote The Highlanders:- If I hadn't had it weighed, I would have been Illegal, I'm sure

I've seen any number of Police spot checks on heavy goods vehicles but has anyone heard of caravans being pulled over? I'm sure I speak for the majority on here in saying that although I feel confident that I'm within the weight limit and the van seems very well balanced and well behaved when towing, I've never been over a weighbridge with it.
Randa

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 am
by armorican (deleted)

Good discussion....I wonder what is the better procedure - to load everything possible into the car (as I do) or to use available space in the Eriba? We travel with the Eriba as unladen as possible as it already has an Omnistor awning, spare wheel, motor-mover (imminent), cassette loo, new mattress installed. This way it all feels fine behind our Audi A3 (2-litre, 170bhp). I fold down the back-seats to create a larger storage area and stow heavier items including the gas-bottle as far forward in the car as possible.

What do others think about the optimum way to distribute the load between the car and the Eriba?

D

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:36 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

There is an argument that a van should be as heavy as it's weight limit and noseweight limit allow as that, in theory, produces the most stable tow and reduces a light vans potential ability to 'hop' about.

A couple of points:

It's definitely not good practice to keep a gas cylinder in the car, the fire authorities would have a fit. It has a specially built cubby in caravans that's sealed from the vans interior and has drop out holes in case of leaks.

The cassette loo is a standard fit item on the relevant vans and its weight is included in the MIRO. The only removable part is an empty cassette, which doesn't weigh much.

If you're going to pile up the back seat with stuff you need to be careful about whether it can 'cannon' forward in the event of sudden deceleration. Much like unbelted kids or unrestrained dogs the results can be catastrophic.

Van drivers have cages at the back of their seats or bulkheads between the cargo area and the cab and in some cars you can get cargo nets that fit behind the front seats.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm
by armorican (deleted)

Thanks for that. I do have it all tied down to prevent stuff moving about, and what you say about the gas-bottle is correct. I have only done this once and felt at the time that it was not too clever, so will leave it in situ in future.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:15 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #12
It has a specially built cubby in caravans that's sealed from the vans interior and has drop out holes in case of leaks.

Um, well not in the case of our 430 it isn't. I discovered this by accident (not that I was really looking for it though) when an envelope that I placed upright in one of the front cubby holes next to the front table, slid down the crack formed by the cubby holes base and the front bulkhead ending up in the gas locker.

Unless the vent holes in the flooring of the gas locker are blocked up there should be little or no chance of any gas finding it's way into the main body of the van via this route as the gas is heavier than air. Additionally, the gas locker door isn't what one would call airtight despite the soft outer seal. But yes, with an expansion ratio in the region of 200 plus to one (Butane) even a tiny leak of fluid results in an awful lot of gas.

Regarding TheHighlanders mention of having weighed the van at the local grain store I think one shouldn't take any reading given as being 100% accurate. Although I have done the same thing in the past I now tend to weigh each wheel (incl. nosewheel) seperately as a correctly balanced load is equally important as not going over the total allowed weight. Like any scale, the grain store weighbridge will be accurate around the measuring weight for which it is designed i.e. the difference between an empty and fully loaded grain lorry and not a mere 580kg which is akin to weighing a peanut on a set of bathroom scales. Public weighbridges on the other hand, or at least so I am given to believe, are obliged to issue a certificate following weighing which is something you can wave in front of someones face should it ever come to that.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Deeps. You're right, but unfortunately there's no public weighbridge anywhere near Inverness.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3