Fly mesh in the poptop's triangles?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:04 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

When I took a close look around a couple of older Tritons at AL last month, I'm sure I remember that the roofs were up and the ventilation flaps opened. I'm also sure that each triangular aperture was covered by its own fly mesh. But memory is not one of my best faculties these days.

Morrison, our just-delivered Triton 430 dating from 2002, doesn't have these vents screened. Instead, there is a net curtain that hangs down all round the canvas and extends an open invitation to flies to dive under the wire and bite us.

Am I dreaming about the vent meshes? If not, are they available or makeable?

Martyn

Last edited Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:39 pm | Scroll up

RE: Fly mesh in the poptop's triangles?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:14 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

You are right. Our Triton (2003) has the mesh curtain whereas 2005 models have small triangles of the material inside the vents.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:19 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #2
You are right. Our Triton (2003) has the mesh curtain whereas 2005 models have small triangles of the material inside the vents.
I mention this with some reluctance because if I remember correctly you went completely bananas the last time we discussed mesh vents, but our Troll has triangles too...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:58 pm

The curtains are a bit inconvenient in that the weighted bottom hem needs to be tucked into the alloy channel prior to folding the roof and it tends to pop out at the corners as you stretch it into place. The other disadvantage is that it has to be released from the channel in order to open the vents and then be tucked in again again to stop insects getting in through the gap at the bottom.

The fitted triangles overcome this but I don't think they can be removed for cleaning (?) as can the curtain which is attached at the top edge with Velcro and hence easy to remove and replace.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:37 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #1
Am I dreaming about the vent meshes? If not, are they available or makeable?

Our 2013 Triton 430 has these zipped fold-down ventilation flaps ............... four in total - one on each side. The fly mesh itself is sewn into the body of the canvas and is non removeable.
Some people actually remove the entire canvas (can't recall the proper name lol) for cleaning and re-waterproofing so I don't think it's beyond the realms of possiblity, if you really want the work and added expense, to replace the entire canvas at some point in time.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #5
Our 2013 Triton 430 has these zipped fold-down ventilation flaps ............... four in total - one on each side.
That's unusual. I haven't seen a pop-top canvas with a vent on the same side as the gas fire chimney. I thought the designers had deliberately left that side solid to prevent products of combustion from entering the caravan via the vent. Consequently, our van has only three vents.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:57 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

You're probably correct there, Aaron. Haven't set eyes on the dear-ole van for a couple of months now so memory may be playing up a bit.

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:59 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

On our 2007 Triton we have mesh covering the triangles but it is attached by narrow velcro so easy to remove launder and replace, if the newest mesh is sewn onto the pop-top is it yet another example of the bean counting mentality which appears to be taking over in Germany? We met up with a couple who had purchased a new 418 and invited us to go for a drink in their new van. We went and duly admired their new pride and joy which to be fair was lovely we returned the compliment and when they sat in our van all we heard was 'Oh, we haven't got one of those, or that's nicer than the one we have' it was really quite sad - I think they've sold it now

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:02 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

My 2012 German made Familia has the small triangle fly mesh and they can be removed...........

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:28 am
by Deeps (deleted)

You know something, Marmite, I'm going to ask my quack can he prescribe other tablets to the ones that I'm currently on as they appear to be slowly encouraging memory loss. You are absolutely right of course - our triangles are also affixed by velcro so please forget all that nonsense I previously posted.

My You Tube Channel

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:49 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

get some for me too then - I used to drink to forget now I forget to drink

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 am
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

We've found this thread interesting.

Having been used to the net curtains in the pop tops of our previous Eriba's, we've found the mesh triangles much neater and, as others have pointed out, much less hassle when lowering or raising the roof.

We had resigned ourselves to the fact that the triangles were sewn in place, but have now checked and are delighted to find the velcro fixings.

Thanks

Keith

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi
http://trollingwithaudrey.com
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Hi Keith and Sue.
Really enjoyed your blog http://trollingwithaudrey.com/
R and A

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:25 am
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

Thanks for your kiind comments. It's a new project and will expand over the next couple of weeks. We have lots of stuff from this year's trips to put on.

The main reason for setting it up is to keep the family and friends informed while we are away, which has been for more than 120 days this year. Phoning to and from foreign parts is expensive. We plan to have a "Current Trip" section with words and pics from each day, which will then move to the archive once we get home.

Will give us something to do in the long evenings in the van!!

Keith

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi
http://trollingwithaudrey.com
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:07 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Like the blog!

About the mesh fly screen triangles: we found on our previous Triton (2008) that the mesh degraded and became somewhat brittle. I assumed it was UV damage.

TonyP

Troll gently nudging up against a Galaxy.
Keith and Sue likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0