RE: Cars for Towing

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:55 pm
by crow (deleted)
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:26 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

That's interesting. The Yeti only gets 69% but I suppose you have to buy the magazine to understand why???

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Last edited Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #17
That's interest. The Yeti only gets 69% but I suppose you have to buy the magazine to understand why???

That's because you dissed it in post #7 Alan

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Never mind Rob..............A few months in the back garden will give you plenty of time to "Agger it " .......Wax and shine, wax and shine.......you won't want to take it on the road then, when the new car arrives. Ian.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:53 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #18
That's because you dissed it in post #7 Alan

Up to a few months ago I'd really set my heart on one believe you me but then I got talking to a friend of mine. He works as a designer for Porsche of which Seat, Skoda and VW are in the same group and in his position can lease, at a healthy employee discount, any car in the group for 6 months at a time. It was he who put me off the idea of buying a Yeti and once he'd pointed me in the right direction of things I should be looking at instead of looking at things that I wanted to see, the case against the Yeti was clear. Don't get me wrong - it's still a very good car but it's not SO good as for Skoda to justify the ridiculously high price of it.
Oh by the way, my friend doesn't lease any of the Porsche models but instead at present has a VW Sportsvan on order for May delivery. Excellent car by his estimation.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm
by crow (deleted)

I am very pleased with my 2WD, Fred on the other forum is very pleased with his 140hp 4X4
the Yeti had nothing but praise in other towing tests, it runs like it is on rails so their results
must be due to being compared to much more expensive cars.

Last edited Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Maybe it's there off road ability

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_20150101_173005.jpg 

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:01 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #10
I don't have all the decades of caravanning experience that most of the geezers on here do, but if a lot of your miles are going to be spent dragging a tonne of metal and wood around I think I'd always go for the car with the biggest and torquiest engine you can afford to buy and afford to run.

As the Americans say, there ain't no substitute for cubes.

And as far as margins of power and towing capacity are concerned, I reckon that it's far better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Pepe is right, you need something that has a bit of reserve to call on when needed..... If your not careful you will convince yourself that the car you desire will be ok, unfortunately it may become a costly and unpleasant mistake. I use to have a Suzuki Jimny which I am still a big fan of, when it was paired up with my Puck it was great. I wanted to upgrade to a Familia and the what tow car said the Jimny should be ok but may struggle a little on hills.
On the flat it was fine, however on a steep hill the whattow car was a bit modest with its statement, it was like furiously stirring a bowl of porridge to get the right gear The suzuki was only a year old but I had to trade it in for a Dacia Duster 1.5 dci which pulls the Familia with ease and it is also very easy to live with as an everyday car.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:20 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

One not mentioned as yet is the Honda C.R.V 2.2 diesel which I have a 2006 model pulling a puck. It is well over the top I know but I am looking at some stage for a Triton. It is a cracking car and since I have owned for over 4 years not spent a penny other than running cost fuel insurance tax etc. You can easily forget about the .puck being on the back slips into four wheel drive automatic when required. Buying new I agree expensive but quality wise IMHO cracking value pick up a good low mileage second hand, and you have a good car. I got mine with 20k on the clock and what I thought was a good price.
Morphy

Eriba Puck name P4 year 2000 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.
sibillini likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:03 am
by Argie (deleted)

I can agree with Morphy regarding the Honda CRV..... I am now on my second CRV, the previous one was a petrol version but prior to acquiring the Troll I managed to get hold of a low mileage 2012 diesel model...
Nice car to drive solo and seems to be very good at tugging the van....

Prior to buying the Troll I had been a bit concerned about towing, as it was over 30 years since I had last towed anything like a caravan, but I need not have worried.
After picking the van up from AL I towed the van over to my daughters (where I have temporarily stored it) On route there is a very steep hill, but the CRV went up the incline as easily as it does without the van on the back....

The WhatTowCar site lists it as a 69% match to the van.....
One last thing.... it is made in the UK at Swindon.

"Tugging a Troll called Eva" with my Honda CRV 2.2L i-DTEC

Last edited Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:07 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:42 am
by Deeps (deleted)

I hadn't realised that the CRV was build in Swindon - thanks for that useful info. I also only found out the other day that the Qashqai is built in Sunderland. In fact I think a lot depends on where a car is actually built when it comes to longevity and reliability.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:22 pm
by Just Trolling (deleted)

I used to use a 308sw 1.6 towed Edna (1300kg) no trouble you should be fine with the VW

540 troll & VW Tiguan
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:16 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

I'm not too sure how much research others put into finding a vehicle that is both good for towing and for everyday use but I spent hours on it - probably far too much if truth be told.

I also start from the point that no matter how powerful the car is, inevitably towing a caravan is going to put a strain on the transmission, gearbox and clutch over a period of time so the less effort a car needs to exert in pulling a van so much the better.

Also, a point I seldom read on forums are axle weights. My Touran for example has a plated maximum axle weight of: front 1130kg and rear 1170kg. The Nissan Qashqai, whilst looking a sturdy chunk of metal has figures less than this - front 1070kg and rear only 970kg. Even the Mazda CX-5 returns lower axle weight limits with the front being 1115kg and rear 1035kg.
So it's obvious that the overall empty weight of the latter mentioned is eating into the maximum allowable axle weight which are very easily reached when towing a near fully loaded car and caravan combination.

The Touran also has another advantage over the latter mentioned vehicles in that the rear seats are removable which greatly reduces the empty weight so that in effect if you carry the same weight in luggage as the seats that have been removed one is in effect driving with a near empty car. So for caravan towing perhaps more thought should be given to the purchasing of vehicles in which the rear seats can be removed. Um ????

Keith and Sue and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:19 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Just another conundrum for you to consider Deeps, if the variant has an option of a 4x4 it may be worth considering as it will give a better tow. Most cars are front wheel drive which can become light with the weight of the caravan on the back, the distribution of power to the back wheels as well as the the front will give the car better traction, also a heavier maximum tow ball weight is usually permitted with a 4x4 than the 4x2 version.

Decisions decisions......

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:16 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #29
Decisions decisions......

I know - the process is costing me a bomb in Paracetamol tablets.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 49 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0