Oh dear - a washing diasaster

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:44 pm
by Rabiedmushroom (deleted)

Hello Eriba Folk,
I am delighted with my new-to-me purchase of a 1989 Puck, one of the last round pop-up type. I purposely bought an older one because it's a kinder tow on my classic Mini than newer heavier versions.

Naturally I've mucked it up already, as one often accidentally does with classic treasures. It was grimey, it's obvious it's been parked outside uncovered for a season or two. Armed with Autoglym shampoo, a microfibre washing pad and a nail brush I set to getting the black muck from round the trim and windows. However it was particularly stuck in round the door surround, so I gave it a good squirt of Flash, which normally does the trick of shifting mouldy and dirty marks on metal and plastics, which I've used on plenty of old cars, bikes, trailer tents etc.

Oh yeah it did that beautifully, and then I looked down. Disaster! I've never ever known it to strip paint, but it's dribbled down and cut some horrible streaks in the painted stripes below. Can't believe it. I rinsed off asap and I don't dare touch it without asking for some advice first. Help help help I don't know what to do next - and want to avoid a respray!

(Apologies if this photo link is wonky)

Scroll up

RE: Oh dear - a washing diasaster

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:50 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Personally, I'd be tempted to wash it again asap with warm water and proper auto shampoo washing it off as you go to see if it is working! It may be that it just looks etched and may not be as bad as you think I used to use car shampoo with a splash of domestos On our Burstner (I only mention that as it had the dimpled finish).

Please let us know how you get on

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:06 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I'd be inclined to have a go with one of those 'Magic Cleaning Sponges' (they're white and you cut off a bit at a time to use). They ARE a little abrasive, so try a small area with plenty of plain water ! Then if that seems to work,, but not completely, perhaps a gentle rub with 'Brasso'- beware abrasive again ! I think that the marks are surface stains,and not paint stripped - hopefully !

If this appears to work, polish with an all surface Pledge type polish !

Hope this helps, and is successful :)

Last edited Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:08 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I would not use anything that is to abrasive and not the magic sponge at this stage. Get a good caravan cleaner shampoo, warm water and give a good wash but don't scrub or be heavy handed. Then rinse off with cold water and see what that brings. Good luck.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I had a similar problem with MER car polish Leaving powdery deposits in the dimples, the magic sponge got rid of it. As Taffy says give it another wash and if it doesn't work use the magic sponge and plenty of water and a gentle rub. Don't worry they are not that abrasIve, I have tried to use one of those sponges to flatten undercoat paint on my Eriba, it didn't work and I would still be here today trying to rub it down.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Doktor-Power...+sponge+erasers

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

when I used beach for cleaning I found neat fairy liquid would neutralise the bleach if you used it neat, you could try using a neat shampoo or Fairy over the streaked area before then washing all over the van.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

OK, all is not lost, should the washing not resolve the issue. The other option you have that can help remove the fading streaks is to use a stained polish only over the brown area. link below to the type of product that may get you out of a mess and renovate it with no ill effect but just be careful to apply it to the brown trim area. The good news is it is only a wax polish stained:

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/prod...CFcTJtAodZrgESQ

Last edited Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
so I gave it a good squirt of Flash

Not used that for years, from memory it is a cleaning liquid with a mild abrasive powder mixed in, so it may be the powder residue so try to wash it off as advised above with a car shampoo or washing up liquid.

look closely to see if it has removed the shiny surface? try some car polish.......... it may bring it back to normal if not you may have to gently try something like T-Cut or even a T-Cut Scratch Magic Pen but try those somewhere it will not show too much first like under the rear numberplate.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Last edited Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:22 am

Thank you all very much for the advice. Ironically I chose not to use Fairy Liquid to wash it because I know on cars it can lead to build up of dark marks...
I've left the Puck overnight to dry, and will explore the local camping dealer for some caravan wash. Hubby reckons it may have de-oxidised the cream paint above, which is what's streaked down. Last resort will be polish (even in dimples!) but I appreciate I need to get the right product on straight away, rather then pummelling it with layers of wrong chemical. Thankfully it's perfect cleaning weather today!

Edit - Fairy tried first thing this morn. Nope... but was worth a try.

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:42 am
by Taffy (deleted)

There is a link here to washing instructions:

How to wax a textured finish Pan

How to wax a textured finish Pan

and don't use Bobby Dazzler until you are happy with the cleaning as it will make your faded bits harder to rectify and it also seals in black streaks.

You can get black stain remover for caravans and also again use carefully.

Failing anything working match a stained wax and just apply it to the whole of the coloured band, and as it is only a wax it will take the fade away a little but you will have to probably carefully apply it to the whole of the band and not go over into the dimples.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

or you could try a T cut over the area across the whole banding which may take the whole band back to a lighter colour to remove the streak effect.

Last edited Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 am

Success!
The red stripe I've used normal Autoglym polish.
The top silver stripe I used Autoglum paint restorer (as a test, it's less abrasive than T-Cut).
The 4th silver stripe down I've used good 'ol T-Cut.
It looks like Flash destabilised the cream paint above, which then streaked down the oxidised stripes below. The trick I've found is to rub the T-Cut in between the dimples with a stiff nail brush, and when giving it final wipe over, go over again with a soft clean nail brush to get the excess polish out of the nooks and crannies.
Hurrah, now to do the rest! And thanks for your help - I now have a full suite of Fenwicks products so I can Bobbie Dazzle in the future

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:57 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Phew! That's a relief.

Well done and thanks for updating us.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:08 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Great ! what a relief - and a lesson to us all - well done :)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:43 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Yes, well done. I was keeping fingers crossed for you!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Well done, thank goodness for that. I am pleased you have found it can be reinstated to a streak finish. Photos when all completed so we can see the whole Eriba. When doing your windows it is best to use your hand and only water in a spray bottle and wipe it over with your hand as you can feel any thing that may scratch your windows. There is a really good footage series on cleaning a caravan on you tube. Well worth watching. use Bobby dazzler in a garden spray bottle and you can just spray finish your Eriba to a nice protective shine.

Last edited Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1