RE: Oh dear - a washing diasaster

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:25 am
by Rabiedmushroom (deleted)

Whilst on the subject, what's the best method to get the whole roof gleaming?
T-cut, then polish? Or will that scratch the grp, best left washing + Bobby Dazzle?
I didn't realise it had go-faster ribs until I got on the stepladder washing it at the weekend!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:06 am
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Try a good polish before T cut as they are less abrasive and contain cleaners. Abrasives are a last resort. No experience with Bobby Dazzler, but it looks like more of a rinse aid and maintenance product to keep the polished surface looking great.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:23 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I was in Somerset and Exeter on Sunday and had I thought would have been happy to bring my electric machine polisher. If you see one in Aldi/lidl they are about £14 and well worth it to polish and buff it up as it is effortless.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:06 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

If your roof has gone chalky you will struggle to get a shine as it will be the gell coat on the GRP that has deteriorated/oxidised
There are products on the market to restore the gel coat,I don't know how good they are, fortunately my roof is new so I don't need it, however for those out there that have a chalky roof this info may be of interest.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Gelcoat_Polishing.html

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-Boat-...=item46355ed1be

Here is some info on Bobby Dazzler.

http://fenwicks.info/caravan/index.php/e...s/bobby-dazzler

The following contents have been linked to this post:

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

That looks very interesting but having used them to clean copper pipe and end-feed fittings prior to soldering, I'd be a bit hesitant to use a Scotchbrite pad on my caravan roof. They are pretty abrasive.

I suppose it all depends on how badly the finish is oxidised though.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #20
That looks very interesting but having used them to clean copper pipe and end-feed fittings prior to soldering, I'd be a bit hesitant to use a Scotchbrite pad on my caravan roof. They are pretty abrasive.
I suppose it all depends on how badly the finish is oxidised though.

Your right Aaron, I wouldn't tackle that kind of task unless the roof was in really bad order and heavily oxidized.....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 am
by Rabiedmushroom (deleted)

Well I've mucked up the paintwork once - I don't want to do it twice!!! LOL

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:04 am
by Agger (deleted)

Scotchbrite pads come in differing colours for coarseness, you can get green, blue or white to my certain knowledge. However I would'nt recommend them myself

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Quote: Agger wrote in post #23
Scotchbrite pads come in differing colours for coarseness, you can get green, blue or white to my certain knowledge.
I didn't know that!

The ones I used were purchased from the plumbing wholesaler. They were dark green, pretty coarse and removed tarnish and corrosion from copper very efficiently. They were easier and cleaner to use than the more usual steel wool.

The pale grey ones are 'ultra fine' and specifically recommended for vehicle paint preparation. See here

So, I have to conclude that, unlike me, the man in the video knows what he's talking about and his solution to the roof oxidation problem is worth trying, provided the correct grade of Scotchbrite is used of course.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:36 am
by Agger (deleted)

I don't think it's common knowledge as we all refer to the green ones as "scotchbrite" which they are, but they do others as well, in Germany you used to get white to clean your windscreen of bugs etc. Not sure what other colours they do but definatley the 3 we have mentioned

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:22 am
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I too would be very hesitant to use any grade of Scotchbrite on my roof ! Good suff, used it a lot in a 'body shop' to remove light corrosion and old paint - great for that !

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:28 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I don't think you said your roof was chalky so I would use a good wax and polish it up a few times then it will shine and then Bobby dazzler all over it.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #27
I don't think you said your roof was chalky so I would use a good wax and polish it up a few times then it will shine and then Bobby dazzler all over it.

Sorry to be picky but that should be a wash, good polish, wax and then Bobbby Dazzler in that order. If you polish after wax your just removing your wax!

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:20 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

That's what I meant!

I washed mine then on the roof used a Mer polish and then Bobby Dazzler, should I have used a wax as well then?

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:35 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #29
That's what I meant!

I washed mine then on the roof used a Mer polish and then Bobby Dazzler, should I have used a wax as well then?

Not necessarily, it's up to you it's your van, but I would wax as well, before the Bobby Dazzler (although I have never used that product)

These days there is a plethora of pre wash, wash, quick dry, polish, wax, glaze, quick detailing, sealing type products it's a minefield so as long as your happy that's all that matters

FWIW Ithink Bobby Dazzler is a wash, wax, shine all in one (I did'nt google that just a guess) it does get good reviews, but these days thats easy to "sort"

At least your washing and polishing!

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1