Eriba paint work resilience

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:49 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I wonder if Hymer Eriba has changed the paint process over the years, I can remember when I had my dimpled 1993 van the paint was so thin that the slightest knock would show the aluminium underneath, it was almost like a butterflies wings . However the 2012 and 2015 vans I have had seem to be a lot more resilient, I noticed that the 2016 brochure states that the aluminium is stove enamelled?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 pm | Scroll up

RE: Eriba paint work resilience

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:07 pm
by Stephen (deleted)

It's a question that I've thought a lot about. Anyone have links to Hymer? It would be very interesting to hear from them about the paint and preparation of both the white dimpled and the silver, and, from their point of view, are both equally as hard wearing?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Quote: Stephen wrote in post #2
It's a question that I've thought a lot about. Anyone have links to Hymer? It would be very interesting to hear from them about the paint and preparation of both the white dimpled and the silver, and, from their point of view, are both equally as hard wearing?

Hi Stephen, have a look at this link, page 10 of the PDF says that the aluminium is stove enamelled. As an apprentice engineer many years ago I also worked in the paint shop for a brief period, we use to either stove enamel or powder coat the finished articles as it was hard wearing.

2016 Eriba Brochure

Last edited Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Looks like the 'proof reader ' was on holiday when this Hymer brochure was released in 'English' !

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:43 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

didn't someone say the paint is printed on to the alloy?
may of been our friendly eriba dealer up north
or perhaps the titan restoration website.

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #5
That's what Jason (who used to be Service Manager at AL) told me when I asked him about bodywork repairs.

Since then, the chap who did the repair for me at Spitfire Garage, Southampton referred to it as having been 'powder coated' at the factory.

Could what Hymer describe as 'stove enamelling' and the above all refer to the same process?

Powder coating is applied onto the metal electrostatically and then heat cured to form a protective layer that is harder than paint.

This web page makes interesting reading Windridge Coatings

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:44 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Most coloured architectural aluminium is powder coated (unless it's anodised). We used to use these people a lot when we were in the industry.

http://www.barleychalu.co.uk/

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:14 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #6
Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #5
That's what Jason (who used to be Service Manager at AL) told me when I asked him about bodywork repairs.

Since then, the chap who did the repair for me at Spitfire Garage, Southampton referred to it as having been 'powder coated' at the factory.

Could what Hymer describe as 'stove enamelling' and the above all refer to the same process?

Powder coating is applied onto the metal electrostatically and then heat cured to form a protective layer that is harder than paint.

Two or three weeks ago someone kindly reversed a horse-box into the side of our Eriba. She owned up immediately to the accident, and the only damage is a longish dent bang in the middle of the access hatch for the toilet cassette. On the strength of Aaron Calder's previous post, I've asked Spitfire Garage to estimate for the repair, but they have taken an age to come up with a price. Today I pressed them, and Joe Senior, the bossman, told me he is having trouble getting hold of a paint code. Apparently AL will only sell pre-"printed" sheets of aluminium, direct from Hymer at £125 + VAT per sq. m., so unless the other party is prepared to stump up a wad of notes for a door about ten inches square, I will have to tow my Triton all the way to Southampton and back for Joe to do a colour match.

Brian, was your repair to a standard 2003/4-issue Eriba silver panel? If so, could we together remind Spitfire Garage of the paint they used for your job? Or maybe he still has a scrap of offcut to match to, if your panel was a Hymer-sourced powder coat jobbie?

Martyn

Oliver's Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:30 am
by Frantone (deleted)

That's bad luck.
Rather than tow the Eriba there could you not just send the access door?
TonyP

]

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

and Pepé Le Pew like this post!

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:02 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident, Martyn.

Yes, our Triton is a standard grey/white finish so please feel free to refer them to the repair they did for me.

The only problem is that the repair is so good that I'm not sure that they used any paint. Perhaps they were able to beat the panel out without respraying?

On our van, there is a large offcut of outer skin used as a heat deflector over the top of the fridge. Could you remove your worktop to check if you have one too? If so, perhaps you could snip off a piece to post to them?

Let us know how you get on and feel free to PM me if you need info to identify the work they did for me.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:07 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #9
That's bad luck.
Rather than tow the Eriba there could you not just send the access door?
TonyP
Now why didn't I think of that?
In fact I did (think of it), and indeed I've had to take the door off already anyway, because the impact "sprang" the push button lock and I had to reassemble it on the flat to keep all of the springs in place. But we are booked at several CC sites over the next few weeks, and I don't much fancy travelling with a sheet of hardboard taped over the hatch. But I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

Last edited Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:07 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:20 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

Thanks, Brian. I'll look today at the fridge top if I can. I wonder if I could get to it from outside, by removing the upper ventilator louvres. We'll see. I'll also ring Spitfire on Monday, and if necessary follow up with you.

What a great place this is!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 am

Have you tried asking Jandi,? Jean knew the colour codes for my 2012 Eriba

http://www.eribacaravans.co.uk

My previous 2012 320 Famila paint code was two tone however in 2013 it slightly changed, you need to contact Jandi as they are aware of the subtle changes, see below the colour code for a 2012 and Jeans expert explanation

The 2012 paint upper half is easily available - it's Fiat Bianco 210 as was used in the GT. (In case you find yourself talking to other owners, this shade of white was used in 2012 but NOT in 2013 so the 2013 white is a different.) Fiat Bianco 210 is readily available from most car accessory outlets. I have heard (from customers) that there are many Fiat Bianco 210s but we, personally, get this locally and have not had a problem. You have to allow for weathering of the original paint but, that apart, it has always been O.K.

The lower half is in Pearl Grey and the code is NCS 2502 G/Pearl Grey. I think the important part of that is the NCS 2502 - although I can't confirm it, I find myself wondering if the G is simply for Grey. I have no idea if this one is available off the shelf in car places but a vehicle body shop/ paint shop should be able to mix it for you if you supply the code.

Last edited Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:56 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:01 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I think the Thetfor access does are standard purchase, and they insert matching metal to fit. I think that those dent repairers could probably do it without to much trouble as Aaron mentioned his.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:44 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

The Thetford access hatch uses the metal that is cut out when making the hole.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Visitors
2 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2