Wheel clamps

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:43 pm
by TheFlyingPigs (deleted)

Hello all,
Our new Troll 540 (2006/7) arrives in three weeks time and we are looking into which wheel clamp and hitch lock to buy. Are there ones preferred by insurance companies? Also recommendations about where to buy would be helpful.
Thanks so much

Scroll up

RE: Wheel clamps

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:09 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Do a search for "wheel lock" and "hitch lock" as these have been discussed at some length.

I have the standard Alko hitch lock and a Milenco wheel lock which I'll be happy to demonstrate if you call round.
Don't buy from AL as you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:12 pm
by TheFlyingPigs (deleted)

That's great thank you, we'll give it a thorough search then pop around for a demo and purchase some of those famous / infamous stickers😉
Thanks,
TFPs

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:02 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

The 'stickers' are the best security device you can get ! :) :)

However the standard Alko hitch lock is a great bit of security and well made and easy to use :)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:44 am
by jasond4289 (deleted)

I also have the Alko hitch lock and milenco wheel clamp. Both do the job well and are easy to use.

2005 Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:40 pm
by ALAN JONES (deleted)

I think still safer with wheel locks as the thieves clamp their own tow hitch & drive away! need more than one device.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Quote: A guest wrote in post #6
I think still safer with wheel locks as the thieves clamp their own tow hitch & drive away! need more than one device.

I don't understand. Could you clarify please, Alan?

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 am
by ALAN JONES (deleted)

Hi, I have seen a photo (facebook) of a short bar complete with tow hitch which thieves bring along & attach to your locked hitch using large Ubolts or similar then drive off therefore you need something to stop the van from moving.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:38 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: ALAN JONES wrote in post #8
Hi, I have seen a photo (facebook) of a short bar complete with tow hitch which thieves bring along & attach to your locked hitch using large Ubolts or similar then drive off therefore you need something to stop the van from moving.
I think you might struggle to find an insurer who'd be happy with just a hitch lock anyway - most seem to require a wheel lock as well.

If someone is really determined to steal your caravan neither a hitch lock nor a wheel clamp will make much difference. I reckon the best you can do is what your insurer is really asking you to do, which is deter opportunistic theft.

You can take some solace from the fact that these vans are hardly ever pinched. Google 'stolen Eriba' and you won't find more than a very small handful.

They aren't of any use to the pondlife who steal caravans to live in them because they're too small, and because they are relatively rare there's a pretty tight-knit network of owners, a substantial percentage of whom know - or know of - each other.

Whenever dodgy Eribas come up for sale on the Internet (Ebay in particular) the air is thick with warning flares fired off by other owners. It helps.

yy-R56kh

and Aaron Calder like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:42 pm

My insurers require me to fit both a hitchlock and a wheel lock whenever the caravan is left unhitched and unattended including while on site or in storage in our garden.

They also require that if the caravan is left unattended but still attached to the car, say during a comfort break at motorway services, then a wheel lock must be fitted.

It all seems way over the top when our continental friends seldom seem to bother with either but I suspect that if the caravan were not stolen but merely broken into while the security devices were not fitted, they would not pay out on any claim.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:32 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #10
...a comfort break at motorway services
Is that what posh folks call having a wee?

You learn something new on here every day.

Init.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:31 pm

[sarcasm]Yes, but of course in our case it is the Royal Wee.[/sarcasm]

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:56 am
by Baldrick (deleted)

Hi there having just acquired Baldrick (our familia 310) we had the same problem but have found the Nemesis Ultra wheel lock to be the perfect solution. Whilst a bit fiddly to fit initially as you need to get the spacing correct once done its set up for life as it were and subsequent fitting can be done in seconds so perfect when you need to secure the van at motorway service stations etc. The unit is a little expensive at around £110 but we got the same amount back from the insurers who reduced the premium as soon as we had confirmed we had fitted it.

Nice small well made bit of kit which I'd heartily recommend link is below we got ours from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purpleline-Neme...tra+wheel+clamp

Hope that helps

Richard

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:18 pm
by 2eZero | 16 Posts

I have seen caravans towed away from where they were 'abandoned' in a layby by wrapping chains around the A frame and using ratchet straps against the front lowering legs. Quite time consuming to setup, merely because many people can see what you're doing. But all security I think to protect our caravans is best used when possible.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2