RE: 12v electrics when towing - confusing!

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I think Ian is right if looking at the socket (from the rear of the car i.e. with the protective flap raised).

I'll give that a go when I'm on site 'somewhere in France' and report back.

Thanks everyone for your kind assistance with this.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:53 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

All sounds normal to me and is the same as our 13 pin westfalia electrics.
As long as when your ignition is off there is no 12v feed there surely is no problem.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:37 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

If my 'playing' with the 12 volt secondary charging and fridge circuit circuit from the tow car is anything to go by, then it is independent of the ignition circuit - (which would need to be fairly hefty to cope with the high amperage involved ! ) as such, I believe that the only switching is done via the voltage output relay. It could be that there is a slight delay after stopping the engine/alternator before the battery output falls lower than the switching threshold ? Perhaps a longer wait after stopping the engine may prove if the switching is working correctly ?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:19 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

To conform with ISO 11446 Pins 3, 9, 10, 11 and 13 should be 2.5mm cable. All the rest are 1.5mm. As Pin 10 is the positive for the fridge, then 2.5mm cable is more than adequate for the job.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:39 pm

I had a bit of time to myself this afternoon and, as the grass was dry, thought I'd check the voltages at the 13 pin socket. Here's what i found:

Pin 9 and its earth (pin 13) 11.95v with ignition on, 12.09v with ignition off.

Pin 10 and its earth (pin 11) 0v with ignition off; 11.95v with ignition on.

Everything is working fine and most importantly, the beers in the fridge were ice cold when we arrived here. The frozen stuff in the freezer compartment also stayed solid. Win/win.

I'll contact the people who fitted my tow bar when I get back and ask for their advice.

Forum Administrator

Randa france, mr_underhill and like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Just a follow-up to the above thread, I took the car to my local towbar fitter yesterday, explained the issue and asked for their advice.

The owner plugged in his test board and confirmed my findings. He then asked how old the caravan is and when I said that it is 13 years old, he said that the problem might be that the dedicated electrics kit fitted in 2012 was expecting to find a later model van attached with a special diode fitted that controls the charge.

He said that they could fit one to my car to do the same thing but when he asked if the current set-up was causing me any problems, I said that I'd just returned from our eighth four week trip since it was fitted and that everything had worked perfectly on each occasion.

In the end we decided that as I was unlikely ever to leave the caravan attached to the car for any length of time with the ignition on and the engine not running, there was little point in doing anything more.

So that's the way we agreed to leave it.

Forum Administrator

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Just picked up on this thread. It would sound like your car IS correctly wired up. I am unsure when the VAG group went this route,but my 2014 Skoda Yeti runs similar to yours. ie ignition but not engine on and fridge runs. I questioned this with VAG customer services and was told it is correct, My 2004 VW Touran had to have the engine running for the fridge to work.

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:28 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Ahhh! My kind of response to a "so called" problem. If it aint broke......

But....
I still want to know how things work and why, sometimes, they don't work.

It would seem to me that you have enough information on everything to leave well enough alone on this particular point :)

2007 Triton 430GT - Skoda Octavia 4x4

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:14 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
ie ignition but not engine on and fridge runs.

This is not correct if it was you could run the car battery down in no time at all just by having the ignition to the on position .......... if it is correct then i'm pleased mine is not wired that way (2015 car aftermarket fitting)

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:39 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #24

Zitat
ie ignition but not engine on and fridge runs.

This is not correct if it was you could run the car battery down in no time at all just by having the ignition to the on position .......... if it is correct then i'm pleased mine is not wired that way (2015 car aftermarket fitting)

In part I'd agree with this. There appears to be a lot of confusion regarding the wiring of vehicle electrics especially as concerns the fridge. I had an awful lot of trouble with VW regarding the 13-Pin wiring on my Touran so do feel at least somewhat qualified in giving my opinion here.

In almost all cases, the fridge lighting will run when the vehicle is hooked up to the caravan and this is because the lighting is connected up to Pin 9 which is a constant supply. The fridge light illuminating is not an indication that the fridge itself is running of course and because it runs silently and takes some time before a cooling effect is noticed, the most reliable way of ascertaining whether it's actually running or not is by placing ones hand on the external grill.

As to the question of whether or not a correctly wired fridge (Pins 10 and 11) runs i.e. cools, with simply the ignition turned on or whether a certain number of engine revolutions need to be achieved is another matter altogether and I'm guessing that in part the answer to this depends on the type and characteristics of the relay used.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:53 am

When all's said and done, we've had the current set-up on our outfit since December 2012 when I swapped the Astra for the A4. Since then we've been away touring for more than 30 weeks without experiencing any electrical issues

Indeed, it wasn't until I observed what happened in the caravan specifically for this thread some weeks ago that I even became aware that there was an anomaly.

So, so far as I'm concerned anyway, there isn't a problem and hence nothing to worry about.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105777 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2