Troll 540 Door

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:27 pm
by norfolk wanderers (deleted)

As fairly new owners of said 540 Troll, I was rather surprised how easily the door jumps off the hinges if one tries to lock it back against the rubber door catch vigorously. Is this common? Also the understanding that once opened anybody can walk up and simply lift the door off.

Any views on how to make it secure while opened?

Thanks Norfolk Wanderers.

Scroll up

RE: Troll 540 Door

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Linda and Ian.

Although I've no first hand experience of this I have heard of doors coming off before. What age is your Troll?

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:44 pm
by norfolk wanderers (deleted)

thanks for rapid response, the van is Feb 2016. It is not wear causing this. I now carefully "adjust" to the clip, all is ok. Linda was caught out because she tried to lift the door to make up the difference in heights (only a couple of mm's) and ended up with (what could only be funny after the event) the door in her hands sitting on the grass.

I looked at the fixings, there does not seem to be any slide adjustment available. I believe that the door has been fixed slightly below the point where it should be. In the best guess options, I have fitted a thicker washer on the hinge pin, which seems to work alright. The door is easaier to shut fully now.

regards Ian

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:33 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #2
Although I've no first hand experience of this I have heard of doors coming off before.
I knocked our door off by mistake. It's easily done. I was grubbing around on my knees by the front corner, straightened up, caught the bottom of the open door with my shoulder and lifted it straight off the hinge pins.

It weighs next to nothing, which is just as well because it hit me on the noggin on its way back down.

As far as the OP's concerns regarding someone walking off with it are concerned, there's little to stop them. The thing is, though, why would they bother? It's only any use to someone else with a Troll that doesn't have a door, and not only could you count the number of those on the fingers of one thumb, most of their owners would be on here and someone else would rat them out to Agger, who is extremely fearsome and knows lots of policemen

yy-R56kh

and like this post!
Last edited Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:59 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

think the older doors are heavier, perhaps storing either the awning pegs on the shelf or the hiccup juice, draughts board might help, teehee..
are there any shelves on 2016 doors?????

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:51 am
by Agger (deleted)

It is possible to realign the door hinges and move the door slightly, when I renewed the Herzim strip on our old Troll I had to remove the "fixed" door hangers, when I first refitted them the door was slightly out, so I took it off and "played" with the position! Easy enough even for a non diyer like me!!!

I know "some" policemen as according to another "place" I'm like Michael Jackson, Agger grabs his crotch with a gloved hand and shouts "I'm BAD"! 😲😨

In this "place" it is possible to laugh at yourself or self deprecate (I'll clean that up later😨😲) other "places" don't like it! Very naive

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:14 am
by Deeps (deleted)

On the subject of the Troll door. We picked up our new 542 yesterday and noticed (not immediately) that the bottom half of the door (lock side) doesn't fit exactly flush with the frame. When the door is pushed there is no movement at all which prompted us to look at our older van (430) to make a comparison. Lo and behold, that door too wasn't what one could call exactly flush although during the 3 years of ownership we have never really noticed it. Is this something that is common?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:20 am
by Addick100 (deleted)

My 2002 Troll door sits slightly proud of the frame at the bottom. Maybe it's a design feature so water drips off the bottom! Ian

Ian & Linz Troll 540 being dragged around by a Kia Sportage KX-4
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:47 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

OK, but just for clarity a few pictures to highlight the problem (or feature LOL).
Troll 542 Door-3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Troll 542 Door-1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Troll 542 Door-2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:20 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

It has been standard practice at Eriba dealers to bend the caravan door over a piece of timber to reshape it.
Also AL told me to periodically wipe a smear of silicon polish on the door rubber seal so that it closed more easily.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:21 pm
by Addick100 (deleted)

Blimey Deeps, yours is way out top and bottom! I'd get the dealer to sort it out.....

Ian

Ian & Linz Troll 540 being dragged around by a Kia Sportage KX-4
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:24 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #7
On the subject of the Troll door. We picked up our new 542 yesterday and noticed (not immediately) that the bottom half of the door (lock side) doesn't fit exactly flush with the frame. When the door is pushed there is no movement at all which prompted us to look at our older van (430) to make a comparison. Lo and behold, that door too wasn't what one could call exactly flush although during the 3 years of ownership we have never really noticed it. Is this something that is common?

His and hers vans ! How very posh our overseas cousins

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I have owned three eribas. On all of these the doors have been out of true and I have "adjusted" them by use of my knee and a firm push/pull.
As long as I got a satisfying squelsh noise when opening I have never worried. If I heard this I knew I had a weatherproof seal.
What has annoyed me is the trim line running through the door not lining up with the rest of the van. If you look carefully at owners photos you will frequently notice the line across the door drops from right to left, even though the actual fit of the door in the frame does not drop..

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:26 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Thanks for all the replies. The caravan is now tucked up having it's winter sleep so have today arranged an appointment with our local Hymer Service Centre for early April 2017 to have the necessary work done on the door (adjusted or replaced as necessary) under guarantee. QC from Hymer certainly leaves a lot to be desired imho.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:38 pm
by ellen (deleted)

On the subject of doors, we noticed today that the bottom hinge of. Our Familias door is a little loose where it's attached to the door, does anyone have any idea how we could get inside the hinge to tighten up any loose screws? Thank you.

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310 and Hymer Nova 570
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3