I Player

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:26 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Last night Carole and I wanted to watch a double session of Silent Witness, as we missed the 1st episode on Monday. We could have recorded it on the Humax, but opted to catch the opening episode on I Player, then go straight into TV and catch the final. Great idea but ruined by the I Player quality. Many many times the action paused and the white circle revolved, the action returned and then the white circle again. It was awful.

We think it's a case of high demand, but is it? Do we need to get onto BBC or somebody?

Anybody have this experience?

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

RE: I Player

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:05 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Your iplayer is buffering the signal, your wifi is not a strong enough signal, to watch streamed TV on iplayer or films, you need a high speed connection.
You need to ask your ISP/internet service provider to upgrade your package,which may cost a little more but will allow you to watch what you want, where and when you want.
Technology marches forward and you have to keep up!!
Happy New Year.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:20 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Have a butcher's at your broadband download speed, Derek. Run Speedtest to check.

Generally you'll need at least 2Mbps for iPlayer to stream without interminable buffering, and that's 2Mbps at peak times when every other bugger in your neighbourhood is doing the same thing.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:37 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Or download to watch off-line.

campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 am

OK thanks all, will do, but why is it intermittent? It was fine last night.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:45 am

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #5
OK thanks all, will do, but why is it intermittent? It was fine last night.
There are lots of factors which affect the speed of your broadband, some which you have a degree of control over and a lot more that you don't.

If it was running at a speed which was consistently just above the minimum rate for streaming it'll work fine and wont be buffering all the time, but if it's marginal at best, it doesn't take much to knock it below that required rate.

If you run a series of speed tests at similar times for a few days and jot the results down you'll probably see a pattern, but there will be a variance in the readings taken at the same time over a few consecutive days. It's a bit like the effect on your water pressure of everybody down the road flushing the bog, having a shower and filling a kettle at the same time of day. The trend will be for your pressure to drop, but it won't drop by a consistent amount because the number of people doing those things at that precise time isn't always exactly the same.

If I was in your situation I'd certainly look at changing your broadband supplier. There are plenty of broadband comparison sites on the 'net where you can enter your postcode to see who provides what where you live.

As an example, we were with Plusnet for both the landline and broadband for yonks (because they were cheap at the time) and getting download speeds of between 5 and 8Mbps. It was okay, but no great shakes.

A bit of digging around resulted in me switching to EE fibre for the broadband and phone a couple of years ago. The whole package is cheaper than Plusnet was, and we're getting download speeds of around 65Mbps pretty consistently.

Doing all the research is a king-sized faff, but things move on all the time - prices fluctuate and offers come and go constantly.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Depending on your broadband package its not unusual for ISP providers to throttle users service to avoid congestion at peak times...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Something else that will affect your broadband is your telephone line. Do you have old sockets ? Is it noisy when calls are made ? If it is then you need that fixed because broadband is a fussy bugger and wont behave properly unless the line is good.

Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Wow! Thanks again, so much info and what to do.Will check. The one thing that hampers changing from Plusnet is that Carole does not want the hassle? of changing her email addy.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #9
The one thing that hampers changing from Plusnet is that Carole does not want the hassle? of changing her email addy.
It's time for some plain speaking, Derek.

I hate to say this, but the problem isn't your broadband.

It's your wife.

yy-R56kh
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:40 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Quote: Ribski wrote in post #11

It's a nice problem, though. The nicest possible problem.

Is that okay, d'you think?

Have I got away with it?

yy-R56kh
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:04 pm

I should add, in case anyone was wondering, that I've met Carole, and found her to be quite the most charming person I've ever had the good fortune to encounter.

I can't, even by stretching my imagination to almost unimaginable limits, imagine that she could ever be anything even remotely resembling a millstone around Derek's pioneering quest to be right at the cutting edge of modern information technology.

Any better?

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:15 pm
by jobberwock (deleted)

Hole ? Digging?

Ring any bells?

Best course of action

Lovely 1998 Eriba 530GT
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1