Car LED lights....

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

....and particularly the third brake light.

We are having intermittent problems with the third brake light (Yes. it only happens when my foot is on the brake pedal ).

It's an LED light but it sometimes doesn't work. Get out of the car and give it a thump and it's good again for a short period of time. As they are at least 40 quid to replace I though I would first check out the wiring.

I've taken the light off the car and noticed that the insulation around the two core wiring was dodgy so I've replaced that and cleaned the connection as best I can.

Result, it still works intermittently. Does anyone know if an LED strip works like a string of Xmas lights ie. if one of the elements of the light is dodgy then none of them work (until you give them a good slap)?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 pm | Scroll up

RE: Car LED lights....

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:42 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

My experience with LED's in the home is that when the brightness is not as it once was over an extended period or sometimes the LED doesn't work at all, but turn off and on the switch and it suddenly does, is an indication that the LED is on the way out.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I think I'm right in saying that LED's are wired in parallel , not in series like a string of non LED Christmas lights - therefore one or more faulty will not break the circuit to the remaining lights :) So sounds like a wiring continuity fault ?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
....and particularly the third brake light.

We are having intermittent problems with the third brake light (Yes. it only happens when my foot is on the brake pedal ).

It's an LED light but it sometimes doesn't work. Get out of the car and give it a thump and it's good again for a short period of time. As they are at least 40 quid to replace I though I would first check out the wiring.

I've taken the light off the car and noticed that the insulation around the two core wiring was dodgy so I've replaced that and cleaned the connection as best I can.

Result, it still works intermittently. Does anyone know if an LED strip works like a string of Xmas lights ie. if one of the elements of the light is dodgy then none of them work (until you give them a good slap)?

Randa
One failed diode won't cause the whole thing to stop working.

As Martin suggested, it's much more likely to be a wiring issue than the incipient failure of the brake light unit itself.

Getting the car scanned will throw up the nature of the fault (i.e. an intermittent component problem or a short to ground caused by a wiring defect), but if it's in the wiring it probably won't help with the actual location of the defect.

And a scan will cost you unless you've got the kit to scan it yourself ( )

If I were you the first thing I'd do is check is where the wiring passes through the flexible boot between the body and the tailgate. The thin wall insulation used on modern car wiring does become brittle over time, and anywhere subjected to repeated flexing is a good place to start looking.

Don't start chucking new parts at it without working out what's causing the problem.

yy-R56kh

mr_underhill, Ribski and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks both. It's easy to get at so I'll have another look at it tomorrow

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:45 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Just a thought Roger is it weak with the engine turned off,? I had a similar problem with my Dacia and caravan Led top brake light. With the engine turned off it was very weak and hardly noticeable, however with the engine running it was very bright..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:32 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

It sounds like the same problem that Fiat 500's get..:)

Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Chewing Gum (OK. Blue Tack)

Found the problem. It's where the two wires fit into the block that clips into the light housing. There is a minuscule movement of the wires in the block which surprisingly is enough to break the circuit. However the block and the wires are so small that it proved very fiddly indeed. Probably a new block is the ultimate answer.

In the meantime, I've managed to hold the wires and block in the appropriate position by using ..................................................Blue Tack

C'mon then jokers, do your worst.

Randa

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:45 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #8
Found the problem. It's where the two wires fit into the block that clips into the light housing. There is a minuscule movement of the wires in the block which surprisingly is enough to break the circuit. However the block and the wires are so small that it proved very fiddly indeed. Probably a new block is the ultimate answer.

Might well be number 11 on this page.

Part number 4B0971832.

My fees are very reasonable

yy-R56kh

Last edited Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Certainly looks like it Pete. Thanks for the link

Randa

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0