Nose weight - Troll

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 pm
by JJ-1962 (deleted)

We have in the front, the awning (29kg), various bits n bobs in the underwear cupboards, two gas bottles (1.5 full - not light weight variety)
Yet the nose weight is only 30kg?

Any ideas - also a better idea of the perfect nose weight please.

Thanks in advance.
(We are going to go out and re measure, as not convinced it's right at all.

Hyundai Santa Fe followed by Eric, the Eriba Troll 530GT
Scroll up

RE: Nose weight - Troll

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:11 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

What do you have in the back?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

the ideal nose weight is between 5-7% of laden weight, so If its a 1300k, approx. 78k [6%]
if 1200k then 72k, hope this helps
Dave

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:31 pm
by hob (deleted)

Some useful information here

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/datasheets/safe-road-safe-road/page2/

Note the diagram on how weight should be distributed.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator

Last edited Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:58 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Check the maximum nose weight on a) your towball and b) your drawbar and aim to have your noseweight at the lower of the two figures.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:48 pm
by JJ-1962 (deleted)

Thanks - the back has the spare wheel (underneath) chairs and table. Few bits, shoes and wellies.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:17 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

The two key things to a good tow are noseweight [as a result of loading] and tyre pressure.
I have towed from 900kg Familia to 1300kg Troll and all have towed best [with a VW Touran] at 50/55kg. Eriba say 25kg minimum and you are in excess of that and have a heavy tow-car. If you can repack the front lockers, fill the fridge and toilet flush you will get up to over 30kg and should be fine.
The only time I have ever had an unstable tow was as a result of tyre pressure.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: JJ-1962 wrote in post #1
We have in the front, the awning (29kg), various bits n bobs in the underwear cupboards, two gas bottles (1.5 full - not light weight variety)
Yet the nose weight is only 30kg?

The first thing that I would be tempted to check, especially considering that you have 2 gas bottles up front as well as a 29kg awning, would be the accuracy of the measuring device that you are using. In the past there have been arguments for and against using bathroom scales as opposed to a calibrated device such as the Milenco Noseweight gauge which I don't intend to repeat here other than to say that I prefer the latter method.

For maximum stability Hymer recommend a nose weight of 100kg on their more modern caravans although set against this you would need to check your vehicles tow ball handbook which may well indicate a lower figure (mine is 88kg for example). It is the lower of these two figures that you should be aiming for.

That said, with our previous Triton we were unable to achieve a nose weight greater than 55kg although we only ever carried one 6kg gas bottle in the front locker and with the awning lying slightly forward of the axle so that perhaps only one third of it's length was actually over it. We've now taken to collapsing the table and leaning it against the front bulkhead along with a kitchen unit for use in the awning and several other bits and pieces with the whole lot kept in position by using a Milenco Cargo Bar. With the first outing of the coming season we intend to place 2 gas bottles up front and see can we up the nose weight. If we can achieve say between 60 - 70kg (vehicle tow ball limit 88kg) then we shall be happy.

I don't believe that achieving Hymer's maximum stability limit of 100kg is achievable without carrying extra ballast such as a block of concrete lol but there again I would consider towing with a nose weight of only 30kg a definite no-no.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:39 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

A front fitted bike rack (see 'How to' article for details) solved the problem for me.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 am
by hob (deleted)

I considered placing a large plastic container next to my single gas cylinder after my motor mover was fitted in case I needed to add more nose weight.
In theory every litre of water placed in the container should add about a kilo to the nose weight, thus allowing "fine tuning"

As it happened I still had a reasonable nose weight without having to do that.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm
by JJ-1962 (deleted)

Thank you - water in the toilet flush! Husbands a stickler for safety (not a bad thing), we've towed caravans before, Eriba is the smallest van we've had. Nothing in most of lockers as it's our first trip!
I'm sure we'll solve it, first trip isn't far and no motorways.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:11 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

So, when we collect our new van should we be carrying some additional ballast to transfer to it if needed?

I'll have 2 full 3.5kg gas bottles but it sounds like a couple of 10l cans of water in the back of the car will be needed?????

Lonely Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 am
by Deeps (deleted)

If this discussion was referring to anything other than an Eriba then I would suggest caution should be exercised. However, the method of construction along with the low profile and long nose make this a very stable caravan so only sensible driving needs to be exercised without the need for undue worry. A badly loaded caravan in terms of uneven weight distribution is far more dangerous than a caravan that is a few kilos lighter at the front end than the absolutely ideal.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

In searching around for something entirely different earlier today I stumbled across a very good article regarding this subject. It would appear from reading the article that a lot of caravan owners when ascertaining the nose weight of their caravans, either by a calibrated device such as the Milenco or using the old piece of wood and bathroom scales method, are failing to fully appreciate the fundamentals.

I've got to admit to having been guilty of this myself in the past in that I essentially wind down the jockey wheel thereby lifting up the front end until there is enough space to slip the Milenco device under the AL-KO hitch and then wind up the jockey wheel until the Milenco is taking the strain and I can read off the nose weight on the scale. Others use a length of wood in lieu of the Milenco placing this on a set of bathroom scales.

Mathematically and practically this is all wrong of course with the effective nose weight being out by double digits figures depending on the towing vehicle. And there lies the clue - the towing vehicle. What we are attempting to ascertain of course is the nose weight on the vehicles tow ball, not a set of bathroom scales, and depending on the vehicle tow ball height in relation to the caravans hitch height, the type of caravan and weight distribution in the caravan, this can to a considerable extent effect the attitude of the caravan and subsequently the effective nose weight on the tow ball.

If, when using either of the above described methods of ascertaining nose weight, we ensure that the compression of the Milenco spring or the length of the combined stick and scales corresponds exactly to the height of the vehicles tow ball then any weight readings although not scientifically accurate will to all intents and purposes be near enough. However, if we ascertain the nose weight of a level caravan not attached to the vehicles tow ball which, when coupled up to the vehicle results in a nose down or nose up attitude, the difference in actual weight on the vehicle tow ball can, as earlier stated, be out by as much as double digit figures.

In another discussion the question was asked whether or not people put down the caravan steadies when taking a break at a rest stop. Most answered yes because climbing into an unsupported caravan would most likely add too much weight to the vehicles tow ball. The above is essentially presenting the same argument in that a caravan that is slightly leaning backwards in relation to the vehicle tow ball or having a nose down attitude will have a correspondingly less or heavier nose weight then a caravan that is level.

Last edited Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Interesting. I have - from way back when - a memory that you should check the nose weight with the hitch level using a spirit level on the apron/frame.

The mass of the van is effectively rotating either side of the axle, and OK the height of the tow ball could be a few inches either way of horizontal. However given that it seems quite hard to actually raised the nose weight of the Eriba to meet the ideal towing figure in the first place, I'm unclear as to whether this double figure discrepancy could be achieved under normal conditions with an intelligently loaded van. You'd need a major angular difference to make a significant change to the static nose weight. Granted there was a chap on our course with a low slung Audi on low profile tyres who did have a few issues with the angle, but that was extreme. However, the dynamic weight variations could be interesting on undulating roads and potentially under breaking as well.

Do you have a link to the original article please - sounds like its worth a look?

Excited Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 13 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4