RE: Nose weight - Troll

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #15
Do you have a link to the original article please - sounds like its worth a look?

Unfortunately I haven't. As I said earlier, I happened upon the article whilst searching for something completely different; in fact it was to do with Caravan movers.

What really pricked my ears up was the degree of difference even a couple of centimetres can make to the effective nose weight because although the allowed nose weight on modern Eriba's*** is 100kg in most instances this figure isn't applicable to most tow cars. My present car has a max figure of 88kg but the earlier VW Touran was limited to 75kg and I feel sure that there are other vehicles out there with an even lower figure.

If I come across the article again I'll most certainly link to it but if nothing else, the read brought my attention to the fact that it's not just a case of sticking a stick and a set of bathroom scales under the hitch - there's a bit more to it than that lol.

*** In light of the fact that Hymer have decided to apply the name Eriba across their entire caravan range, we should in the future refer to our babies as Touring models.

Last edited Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 pm | Scroll up

RE: Nose weight - Troll

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 am
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Interesting discussion, I have a Noseweight problem with our new, to us!, Triton 420. The Achilles heel,is a rear mounted bike carrier! On my first trip away in her I loaded the van as I had with our previous Puck L plus a single bike, about 18kg, on the carrier and checked the nose weight using bathroom scales, 15kg, panic!
I filled the toilet flush, the internal water tank, fitted a 20l water jerry can into the front kitchen cupboard (wonderful how much room there is in there) put the blow up awning, about 18kg across the van inside the door along with my clothing bag and a ham radio set in its box. Re-weighed 45kg, not perfect but she towed like a dream, rock steady on motorways and twisty, bumpy A and B roads.
I normally carry 7kg and 3.5kg propane cylinders, both are almost empty, I imagine that when these are full then the problem will be less, also the spare wheel is under the rear of the van, I think for our Spanish summer tour I may stow this on my Landie's roof rack, also, the battery could probably come forward about 4-6inches. If I can't get it sorted to then I suppose the bike carrier will have to come off and the bikes moved to the front.

Chris

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon or 90 Soft Top

Last edited Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 69 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105686 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2