What tow bar?

in We've got it down to a T Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:58 pm
by RichB (deleted)

Hi
Just having a tow bar fitted to tow a new Triton 430. Am thinking of getting a fixed swan neck with single 13 pin electrics. Does that sound suitable? As you can tell I've not done this before!
All the best

Scroll up

RE: What tow bar?

in We've got it down to a T Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:45 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Thirteen pin without a doubt, but what car is it going on?

It's the car that determines the choice of towbar and its associated electrics as much as anything else.

And the car's electronics.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:05 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 pm
by eriba4us (deleted)

I did not go for a swan neck on my Discovery Sport as having measured the height of the towball it was a couple of inches too high which would have meant that our van (Triton 430) would not sit level. The swan neck towbar is non adjustable. Depending on your tow car I would look at a flanged, four hole towbar so that you get a choice of two towball postions. You also have the oportunity to fit the correct towball.....an Alko towball with extended neck.
Dave

/Users/davidcooper/Desktop/P1030081.JPG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:23 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Here's the difference between a standard tow ball and an ALKO tow ball.

f2t258611p30277n2_cFtslOho.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Note the longer neck on the ALKO. Don't forget to get the paint off the ball.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
Don't forget to get the paint off the ball.
Especially if you intend to leave it on a chair at the library.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:44 pm
by hob (deleted)

Or its blue.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator

Last edited Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:54 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I asked in my tow centre about this removing of paint when I had it fitted on my previous car and they said that no need to do this. With wear it would eventually wear but to try to remove it you would need a grinder to clear it. Its not caused any problems when towing.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #8
I asked in my tow centre about this removing of paint when I had it fitted on my previous car and they said that no need to do this. With wear it would eventually wear but to try to remove it you would need a grinder to clear it. Its not caused any problems when towing.

Not so, sand paper will remove the paint, if left on it could contaminate the mover pads

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

So does it need to be lightly rubbed or do I need to change the colour as it is black.?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #10
So does it need to be lightly rubbed or do I need to change the colour as it is black.?

Clean it off until it looks a metal colour silver..... bare metal it will grip better and not contaminate the pads I have done it to two new car tow balls.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:00 am
by hob (deleted)

Mainly a ring around the middle of the ball will do no need to do the flat bit on top or the lower area just where the pads will grip.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:10 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Take all the paint off the ball with either emery cloth or 120 grit sandpaper. No need to be gentle. It's only a thin coat.
Once it is clean and shiny use a bit of kitchen towel wet with meths to clean off thoroughly.
Wrap with clingfilm - other clingy plastic food coverings are available - and replace ball cover till it is needed.
I carry an old/used but clean washing up sponge with the green scouring back. Don't use a new one as they drop green bits. That is fine for taking off any slight surface rusting during use/on site etc.
Don't forget that the hitch is sliding down onto the ball, the van goes up and down as well as side to side and it is (IMVHO) a sensible approach to just get rid of all the paint rather than leaving some behind which may flake off/scratch off or in some way contaminate the pads in the future.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

With emery cloth you can have it back to bare metal in 5 min.
Dave

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:07 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Don't you just love the advice from the experts (at the tow center). I listen to everybody then go away and have a think and make up my own mind. How could the experts not think that the paint on a tow ball would not contaminate the friction devices of an Alko hitch?

Pretty much the same as the camp site assistant that was moving a caravan out of storage with a small tractor. I asked him what he did about caravans with friction hitch stabilisers in general and contamination of grease from towing older ball hitches........he didn't have a clue what I was talking about!

2007 Triton 430GT - Skoda Octavia 4x4
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 57 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105687 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6