RE: Airstream return

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.321 Posts

Agreed, we both obviously have good taste and that is an absolute mess.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
marmite and Julie Grafo like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:52 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Fugly the word is Fugly

Denise

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:38 pm
by Randa france | 12.878 Posts

Grafos, Motters and Marmites. Airstreams have feelings as well you know.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:29 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

But that is not an Airstream it's a massacre
I didn't hurt it's feelings the creature that butchered it did that all by itself
Airstreams are a classic design and deserve better owners that that poor thing

Denise

Randa france and Julie Grafo like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:13 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Moira and I stayed in a big one on a static trailer park on the west coast of California in the early '80's. It had an old fashioned slipper bath and the bed was made of 4x2 inch pieces of wood.The bed was about 4ft off the floor! All very oldfashioned in it's fittings but still quite shiny. It must have weighed tons and been difficult to tow.

Mike.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Volvo V70 R AWD
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:29 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Very American way of putting things together. Interesting that the body appears to be a monocoque with integral aluminium framing rather than bolting everything onto a steel frame. I wonder how much less weight an Eriba would be with an aluminium skeleton rather than steel. Ok not as potentially strong, but would still be stiff, and if an Eriba was damaged to the extent that you were relying on its strength not to fall apart it would be written off anyway.. Maybe metal fatigue would come into play on an aluminium skeleton?

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:39 am
by eribaMotters | 5.321 Posts

A full monocoque aluminium Eriba would be so much lighter. I can remember an early Airstream advertising photo showing two men carrying a completed body. It then went on to show it on the chassis being towed by somebody on a pushbike.
The longevity of the aluminium body should not be an issue. The aluminium usually fails due to areas moving against one another, the material work hardening and eventually fracturing once brittle. Think of bending a paper clip back and forth. Initially it is soft [malleable] but eventually becomes brittle and snaps. One other reason for failure is corrosive action oxidizing the material. We live about 1/2 mile i from the coast and the sea air wrecks any exposed aluminium surface.
The perfect solution would be to use Duralumin aluminium /copper alloy. This is corrosion resistant and as strong as steel, hence its use on planes. I hate to think what that would do to the price of our vans.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:42 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 am
by Randa france | 12.878 Posts

Some great pics on here:- http://www.airstream4u.de/cms/website.php

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
8 Members and 48 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12536 topics and 105739 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 8