Bikes

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am
by Codders (deleted)

Hi I'm still a prospective Erica owner - have a VW California currently - and am trying to get grips with new challenges. One of the key motivators of changing is increasing our cycling route range from camp sites and to do this we need to be able to carry our bikes on the car both while towing and without van. Maxxraxx seems be the only carrier available? Does anyone have experience of this rack - and/or know of any other solutions - please?

Scroll up

RE: Bikes

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

You could start by having a look at this 'How to................' article Cycle carrier and then do a search for 'bike rack' as we have discussed carrying bikes at length in previous threads

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:23 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am
by addisb | 169 Posts

I had the cycle carrier mounting plate manufactured and galvanised. Painted it and fitted with a new tow ball. All looked great but I think I am as far out as the lighthouse with nose weight. I have a timber block, which when on a bathroom scales is the exact towball height of my car. With the awning stowed mid way inside on the floor I get a nose weight of 55 Kgs. Spare wheel and leisure battery are in their standard locations. I have reduced most else right down, I only have a camping gaz cylinder in the front locker ( 5 Kg? ) When I mount the cycle carrier and 2 x bicycles the nose weight increases to 90 Kgs ! So time for a re think perhaps..like forget the bicycles
As far as I am aware my total allowable weight is 100Kgs. The AL-KO plate on the axle states 900 Kgs. and the van weighs 800 Kgs. I presume that the "800 Kgs" on the plate bottom left of the door is advising 800 Kgs.as unladen weight. Am I missing out on something here? Thanks for any advise.
Chris

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 48 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105687 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5