Smart Alternators

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

I'm passing this information on for although it's all a little beyond me, our friend Rod (Zirkeln/Crow/Gumdrop) posted it on the Eribafolk Facebook page and he normally posts interesting information

https://caravanchronicles.com/2017/02/15...and-motorhomes/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:40 am | Scroll up

RE: Smart Alternators

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

That's a bit of a worry. I rely on full battery charging to my leisure battery en route as I don't use electric hookup.

I'm currently waiting for a new tow car which will have a factory fitted tow bar. Hopefully it will sense the caravan has been connected and put out the correct voltage to the leisure battery and fridge. Not sure how to test whether it works or not though.
The above video link seems to be targetted at after market installations so hopefully my new installation will be OK.

2007 Triton 430GT - Skoda Octavia 4x4
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:54 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

I would imagine that one simple and probably effective remedy would be to turn off the Stop/Go function when towing. I can see this latter function probably serving a purpose in and around town in daily use but when towing most of the time most of us are either getting from A > B via using motorways or 'A' roads and the like not pottering around through stop/go town traffic.
I personally ALWAYS turn off the stop/Go function each and every time I start the car but that's probably another topic altogether.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I believe that on my new car (Seat Ateca) with the factory fitted towbar, stop/start is automatically turned off when the trailer is detected, so that is not a problem.
The potential problem is whether the smart alternator runs conventionally when the trailer is detected or in smart mode which will quickly trash the leisure battery.
No good asking the dealer, they barely understood the requirement for full 13 pin wiring for fridge and battery charging any way :(

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #4
The potential problem is whether the smart alternator runs conventionally when the trailer is detected or in smart mode which will quickly trash the leisure battery.
I don't really understand what you mean by that. What's 'smart mode'?

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

Is Rod still on this forum, I don't recall seeing any posts from him recently. Hooe he's ok?

Cheers Mark

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:57 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

No, he's retired from Forum life Mark. He's at home counting his money.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:40 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:38 am

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #5
Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #4
I don't really understand what you mean by that. What's 'smart mode'?

A quick precis of the article in post 1.
When the car is running normally, the battery is not charged but allowed to drop to 12.2 V. The battery is then given a massive charge of up to 17V by using the energy from braking. This is apparently OK for a car battery but will trash a leisure battery (different construction).
Also when the charge rate is at 12.2 V, the supply to the caravan will cut out, thus the fridge will not run and any ATC will also stop working.

It's a long video to watch but explains the potential problems, and solutions, very well.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:55 am

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #8

A quick precis of the article in post 1.
When the car is running normally, the battery is not charged but allowed to drop to 12.2 V. The battery is then given a massive charge of up to 17V by using the energy from braking. This is apparently OK for a car battery but will trash a leisure battery (different construction).
Also when the charge rate is at 12.2 V, the supply to the caravan will cut out, thus the fridge will not run and any ATC will also stop working.

It's a long video to watch but explains the potential problems, and solutions, very well.
Thanks Ray.

Are there any cars on the market today - not hybrids or exotic stuff - which use braking energy recovery?

yy-R56kh

Last edited Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:16 am

Pretty much all new cars have this technology to improve fuel consumption and reduce CO2 emissions.

This technology came to light when caravanners started to report defrosting fridges and low batteries in transit.
The video shows an easy way to check if your car has this technology.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:50 am

I don't understand what he's saying in that video.

He says to check to see if your car has 'regenerative braking' or a 'smart alternator' (and I don't think the alternator itself is smart per se; if there's any smartness going on, it's in the car's ECU) you should go for a tootle with a voltmeter plugged into the cigarette lighter and monitor the alternator output voltage as you drive.

He goes on to say if that voltage drops to 12.4V when you're on a dual carriageway or a long straight road (as opposed to somewhere else, when you'd expect to see 14-odd volts), then you've got 'regenerative braking' or a 'smart alternator'.

I understood that regenerative braking 'harvested' the kinetic energy generated from braking (or decelerating), converting it into electricity. If you drive along a dual carriageway or a long straight road the implication is that it's at a steady speed, so you aren't doing any braking (or decelerating) and there's no energy recovery going on.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I don't think a 'smart alternator' and regenerative braking are the same thing.

At all.

If I don't understand what he's saying because I'm thick, then I hold up my hands in meek acknowledgement.

If I don't understand because his semantics are awry, then he needs to do better.

If there's any obfuscation going on because he's got a product to punt - and he has - then that's a different matter altogether.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:23 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 am
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #11
I don't understand what he's saying in that video.

He says to check to see if your car has 'regenerative braking' or a 'smart alternator' (and I don't think the alternator itself is smart per se; if there's any smartness going on, it's in the car's ECU) you should go for a tootle with a voltmeter plugged into the cigarette lighter and monitor the alternator output voltage as you drive.

He goes on to say if that voltage drops to 12.4V when you're on a dual carriageway or a long straight road (as opposed to somewhere else, when you'd expect to see 14-odd volts), then you've got 'regenerative braking' or a 'smart alternator'..

I to do not understand what is being explained here, it seems like jargon from a different age and at my age hard to take in. The thing that I do not understand most is how stopping the stop/start gadget from working overcomes this alternator thing. Any explanation would be gratefully received.

.[/quote]

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 am

Smart alternator = regenerative braking, as you say, the smartness is in the ECU.
When driving along a dual carriageway or motorway, the ECU reduces the voltage to the field windings of the alternator, thus reducing the load on the engine as the alternator is no longer working. Under braking or running downhill, the alternator effectively becomes a dynamo and puts a large current/voltage in to the car battery.
That's apparently fine for a car battery but not for a leisure battery.
This is what I have understood from one viewing of the video, I may have it wrong in some minor way but I believe this is the essence.

The problem will manifest itself if a tow bar is fitted by a 3rd party and doesn't connect properly to the car's electrical system. Many towbar fitters put in a voltage sensing relay which detects when the output from the alternator is above 13.5V or there abouts. The relay then connects the car battery to the caravan fridge and leisure battery.
With a smart alternator/regenerative braking system, the output from the alternator drops to 12.2V thus the relay will not operate so the fridge will not be powered and the leisure battery will not charge. On braking, anything up to 17V and 200amps will be shoved in to the car battery, the relay will open and that voltage/current will go the the fridge and leisure battery. The fridge might be able to cope but the leisure battery's life will be shortened apparently.

I am hoping that my factory fitted towbar will be fitted and the ECU re-programmed so that I don't have this problem. :)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:45 am

Tomored,

I don't believe the stop/start feature has much to do with this issue.
In my handbook, it is recommended that the stop/start function is disabled when towing. If a towbar is factory fitted, the stop/start function is automatically disabled when the car senses that a trailer has been connected.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 am

Have a look at this blog. Stop start issues are discussed a little further down under the title "other issues" A good simple explanation.

https://caravanchronicles.com/2017/02/15...and-motorhomes/

scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105686 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3