RE: Smart Alternators

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:03 pm
by hob (deleted)

I never really understood the thinking behind stop start even without towing IE under normal conditions.

Surely if in a big traffic jam (motorway long tailback) a car engine uses a lot of battery power to turn an engine over to start it ...... do that several times coupled with the lack of charging due to crawling along with minimal alternator charging and you must get to a stage where the battery is too weak to restart the engine?

Presumably there must come a time when the cars ecu detects the onset of this and cuts out the stop start automatically?

I was really pleased when I found my 2015 model Insignia did not have stop start although higher end spec ones did.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #15
Have a look at this blog. Stop start issues are discussed a little further down under the title "other issues" A good simple explanation.

https://caravanchronicles.com/2017/02/15...and-motorhomes/

Thank you Ray for trying to explain this, but even after reading the blog I don't understand it, I have no idea what most of the abbreviations stand for. My side valve Ford Popular was much easier to understand.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Ribski and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #16

Surely if in a big traffic jam (motorway long tailback) a car engine uses a lot of battery power to turn an engine over to start it ...... do that several times coupled with the lack of charging due to crawling along with minimal alternator charging and you must get to a stage where the battery is too weak to restart the engine?

Presumably there must come a time when the cars ecu detects the onset of this and cuts out the stop start automatically?

Yes Graham, the tech boys have already thought of that and indeed the Stop/Start function is inoperable if a number of conditions are not met with (a) the battery not having enough juice stored and (b) the engine having not reached it's optimum operational temperature to state but two.
That said, and as I've said before, I find it just another 'play thing' and turn it off as part of my start-up routine. In a long motorway snarl up I'd switch the engine off anyway and in stop-go city traffic (that I'm rarely in anyway) no sooner has the engine cut out than it's time to fire up again. The entire thing was brought about to please those in Brussels with the practicality of it all being the last thing in anyone's thoughts. All my opinion of course.

Ribski likes this post!
Last edited Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:54 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Just got my new tow car (Seat Ateca 1.4 petrol manual 150PS), equipped with a factory fit tow bar which deploys at the flick of an electric button. Had a short trip with the caravan hooked up ( not run in yet) and I plugged a digital voltmeter in to the 12V accessory socket.
With the caravan hooked up, the voltage was constant at 14.2V.
Without the caravan the voltage varied from 12.4 to 14.7 depending on acceleration or deceleration.
So, it would appear that the factory fit towbar disables the smart alternator when a trailer is detected. Fridge was also powered.
All rosy thank goodness :)

2007 Triton 430GT - Skoda Octavia 4x4
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I look forward to hearing how you get on towing with the 1.4tsi. Strong chance it will be the engine in my next purchase. The good lady said she doses not want to kill people with another diesel engine.

Colin

ps - don't forget to change your signature

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white one.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:24 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Give it 10 years Colin and the "Experts" will decide that, after all, petrol is a worse polluter than diesel!

Chris.

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon or 90 Soft Top
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:13 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Colin,
I think it's going to be very much like my last petrol engined car, not much happens until you get above 1500 rpm. After that it's fine. just need to use the gearbox a bit more than a diesel which i like to do anyway :)

For those that don't want to stir the pudding there is a 7 speed auto version coupled with the 1.4 petrol which should make a very relaxing and economical drive :)

Changed my signature, thanks for the reminder :)

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105686 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0