towing do you lock the hitch lock or not

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 pm
by Bigloue (deleted)

Our insurer instructs us to lock the hitch lock when towing!

You only have to unbolt the tow ball to pinch the van!

I believe it makes it difficult in an accident to unhitched the caravan by the emergency services.

What do you do?

Scroll up

RE: towing do you lock the hitch lock or not

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:33 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Unhitched for me when we are towing, I could understand you putting the hitch lock on at a service station if you leave it unattended, however if we do stop for a break myself and Mrs Poptop take it in turns to go to the toilet.....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
, Keith and Sue and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

I reckon in this case you either do what your insurer requires or find a different insurer. An insurance company will likely use any non-compliance - no matter how illogical it might seem - to wheedle out of settling a claim.

As far as some ne'er do well unbolting the hitch assembly to nick your van is concerned, there is only so much you can do to prevent a really determined thief so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the lock being a hindrance to the Fire Brigade in the event of an accident either.

You'll have more important things on your mind, and they've got these things called hydraulic shears...

Keith and Sue and like this post!
Last edited Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:47 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:50 pm
by Bigloue (deleted)

Even with a hitch lock on they can use a ground down towing ball and just push the hitch it in, that's why I always fit the plastic ball in the hitch. Another trick is to use a bar to clamp onto the jocky wheel tube and then you don't need the hitch fitted to the caravan.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:51 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

There's absolutely no point in a hitchlock whilst you're moving, unless thieves have developed a way to unhitch a van at speed!! You can always fit it quickly if you stop for a break and leave the van untended. Usually such breaks in our case involve using van facilities for sandwiches, drinks etc so again unless they're going to pinch the van with us on board there's no risk. Paranoia overkill.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:03 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:52 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

I leave our hitch lock ON for one very good reason.

We would lose the bl***dy thing somewhere if we didn't. At least the way we do it, we know where it is.

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Magpie, Ribski, , and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:10 am

When our hitchlock is removed it goes in the black Witter bag that holds the removable towball when it's not in use. The removable Witter 'plug', Witter towball protector and Kia 13pin socket cover all go in there too so they're all ready for use when we arrive at our destination. Oh and there's a piece of emery cloth in there for shining up the towball, if necessary.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:00 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

On for us at all times

A one line no looking at the page while doing it
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
I leave our hitch lock ON for one very good reason.

We would lose the bl***dy thing somewhere if we didn't. At least the way we do it, we know where it is.

Of course, I meant lose the lock, not the Eriba

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:57 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Ours is on always, don't see the point of it not being on as for theft, how many Eribas get nicked? Don't get me wrong I'm paranoid about ours but Gypsies need bigger vans

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:04 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Haven't we discussed this topic in depth previously? I seem to recall someone suggesting that if you do tow with the hitchlock fitted, you should put the key on your car keyring so that you and/or emergency services can find it easily if required.

I have to agree with SDA that there would appear to be no point at all in fitting the hitchlock while the caravan is being towed but ours is always in place together with the wheel clamp when the vehicle is parked and unattended purely to comply with the insurer's requirements..

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:52 pm
by Agger (deleted)

For me it's easier to fit it as part of your pre departure checks, if you do any? Than to have to remember to fit it should you stop, just my opinion

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!

Last edited Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:53 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:59 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I'll avoid mentioning that use useless piece of garbage known as CRIS should you be unlucky enough enough to suffer a stolen van

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I can only recall hearing of two or three Eribas being stolen over the last seven or eight years and one of those was one Christophe mentioned that was stolen in France and might be heading for Blighty.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:31 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Thats the thing you never have your VIN checked anywhere except when you sell so CRIS is useless to me! Eriba theft I guessed would be very low due to size and communities like Eribafolk i did hear there was another but thats not for me

Hitchlock still goes on all the time though

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105688 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1