RE: towing do you lock the hitch lock or not

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I never bothered with CRIS with the two 540s I owned. Eriba UK and AL never bothered registering the vans with them when new and I had issues with them when my my current Lunar was new.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I know some storage facilities require owners to have membership, but I've been around caravans since birth, and even after extensive European travel and elsewhere we have never knowingly had our VIN checked anywhere!

Someone said ANPR (Automated number plate recognition) thats fine but if the van wears the same number as a "legal" vehicle it won't get stopped

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:23 am
by Bigloue (deleted)

Thank you for your replies and I am still confused, But I will put the lock on and leave the key on car key ring, which I think is a good idea, just to comply with the insurance.
😕😕😕

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:26 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:43 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Are you sure the insurance actually requires the hitchlock to be fitted whilst travelling, which would be a nonsense requirement, or is it covered by a phrase that would limit its fitting to when parked/pitched? Just because they ask if you use a hitchlock doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, there has to be a specific requirement in the policy terms.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:03 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

My insurance requires that both a hitch lock and a wheel lock are fitted at all times when the caravan is left unattended so that means on the drive at home, on site and at motorway service stations, aires etc if both of use leave the car at the same time - which we don't for that reason.

There is no requirement to have a hitch lock fitted while the caravan is being towed which, as Andy says, would be nonsense.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:34 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Yup !! I'm with Randa on this with the hitch locks.........If it ain't fitted at all times, it gets lost/misplaced, or even left behind. and its always my fault or is it the red stuff ? If it can't get unhitched in event of an accident, its the insurers fault for stipulating its fixture at all times not my problem so far, so good. p.s. keep the van insured at all times Ian.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 pm
by Bigloue (deleted)

I have just checked the policy and it states " the hitch lock shall be fitted at all times except when hitching or unhitching the caravan from the car,"

I agree it is ludicrous to keep it locked at ll times when driving , and I agree it is the fault of the insurance company if the hitch has to be cut off in the case of an accident, I just hope I am not trapped in the car.

Sorry I raised this subject but it must have been done before I joined the forum.

Has the subject of the best wheel clamp been raised, and what type do you used?

🔒🔓🔒🔓

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Wheel Clamps

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:11 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Bigloue. Here's the discussion regarding wheel clamps. Wheel Clamp
It's always good to revisit a topic because newer members may have additional information to add to the subject
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:12 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

The two little Hitlers on the Devon DA meet we were forced to leave because of one UNFRIENDLY member of the Friendly C&CC were adamant it's illegal to drive with the hitch lock on.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:27 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

I never had a strong opinion about this one way or the other, towed with the lock on many times. When we had our accident in Germany for some reason the lock wasn't on. I'm still not sure what happened after the Eriba was hit, a lot of spinning seemed to be involved. The Eriba flipped over and slid on it's side coming disconnected from the car, we're convinced (our opinion only I know) that if the lock was on the car would have been tipped over too. Then we might not have walked away from the accident.
No more hitch lock in transit for us.

Car and Eriba less but we'll be back!
Poptop320, Tomored, and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Julie, beause of your experience, we no longer drive with the lock in place. We never leave her alone when we stop en route and it goes straight on when we get to the campsite.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We always put it on, when we had the accident the caravan came off the tow ball even with the lock in place.
Dave

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005
and Julie Grafo like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Thanks folk. I will check but I am sure it's an insurance issue rather than a legal issue.

Thanks especially Julie as I was going to ask you about the lock following your most recent experience

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

The plot thickens though, Dave's came off the car with the lock on so maybe travelling with the lock is not the end of the world. Having said that ours will be staying off, mind you at the moment we have no car and no hitch lock so its not relevant yet.

Car and Eriba less but we'll be back!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I leave mine on and have done for years. However, I do not have an obsession about it. Personal choice thing. I certainly would not want to have to leave somebody to guard the van every time we stopped.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105689 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5